Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

14" Wheels? On Jeep DJ? Or what?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 14" Wheels? On Jeep DJ? Or what?
    Posted: 30 Sep. 2016 at 12:13am
I have some 14 inch wheels that came with a 2 wheel drive Jeep chassis I still have sitting in the yard. It's obviously Jeep 2 wheel drive, but with left hand drive, so not a postal.

I wonder what it is? Or if it should just get cut up for salvage. But the DJs I've read about used 15" wheels? When were 14's used?
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2016 at 2:00am
What model DJ is it?  Flattie style or !ater model round fender?

If you are talking four lug (flattie) the parts list I have only shows 15s.

Edited by rocnroll - 30 Sep. 2016 at 2:11am
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2016 at 11:52am
Roc,

There have been some oddball DJs found with 13" wheels that are apparently factory. 14s I'm not sure of.

Bill
Holy Toledo! Jeep Calendars and the Dispatcher Jeep magazine

http://dispatchermagazine.com
Dave Pete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2016 at 12:16pm
The wheels are five lug, same pattern (5 on 5.5") as on other Jeeps of the era. 

I have no idea on the model. There is no body attached, just a rolling chassis. There's sort of a rolled pan rear cross-member, which appears different than any other Jeep frame I've seen. Looks like something you might expect seeing if you needed a smooth, strong surface to drag something out of the back, like - I assumed - large postal packages, until I saw it was a left hand drive.

It doesn't seem to be "bolted together" stuff. It seems an original chassis as it sits. Straight round tube front axle, rear non-offset Dana 44, nine inch brakes, left drive with a forward mounted Saginaw steering box, not the further back Ross like on my CJ3B.

It came with a set of 16" Kelsey Hays rims which actually belong to the parts 3B that ALSO came with the collection, and several Willys Pickup front and rear ends. But I'm pretty certain the 14" wheels belong to the chassis being discussed.

Most important to me is finding out if these wheels are so rare that somebody needs them to finish a project, or if I can safely let them go to salvage. I HATE throwing away important stuff!

If we can't get this answered, I'll get some photos up.

Edited by Dave Pete - 30 Sep. 2016 at 12:18pm
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2016 at 2:37pm

Bill, I'm sure you are totally right about that. I am just stating what my factory parts list showed....not trying to really define it because personally I think there were other sizes (I just can't prove that thru the list)

Also, I am referencing 4 lug wheels.....that's why I asked. (I have had 2 past DJs that had 14" four lugs on them but I don't know that they were factory wheels)

The 5 lugs are a different ball game altogether too....I can see them being equipped that way too but can't prove it.

Sure would be good if Bruce was here..Wink

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Dave Pete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2016 at 3:21pm
I googled some pics too and now think it's a DJ5 mail Jeep with that rolled pan rear bumper/cross member thing. Sounds like the postals came with either left or right drive. And if that's the case, and if 14's came original, there are probably a lot of 14" wheels in the salvage yards.
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2016 at 3:23pm
Roc,

Yeah, that's Jeep for you. Somethings are in the parts books, and others aren't for whatever reason.

Yep, Bruce was da man.

Bill
Holy Toledo! Jeep Calendars and the Dispatcher Jeep magazine

http://dispatchermagazine.com
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2016 at 7:08am
I am chiming in here kind of late, but Yes, those are from a DJ-5. My 1970 DJ-5C came with four of them. I would like to find at least one more.

The wrecking yards around here have the 15" & the 16" ones, but zero 14" wheels. I am using a 15" as a spare, but I would like to have the correct tire size as a spare.

Please do not scrap them.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.
 Post Reply Post Reply