Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1947 Craigslist Barn Find

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Becca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2015 at 5:57pm
Sorry it was a Chevy, not a Dodge.  The master cylinder that we got was a corvette style but we may go and try another one because the ports are facing the engine and not the frame.  Here's what I have done so far.
1947 Willys CJ-2A
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2015 at 6:22pm
Becca, Your video will not run. It says that this video is private.
Zuma58 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zuma58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2015 at 7:53pm
Yep, I can't see it either
Steve
Long May You Run!!!
Becca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Becca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2015 at 12:13am
Try it now. Sorry guys, thought I had it on a different setting when i put it together.  My bad.
1947 Willys CJ-2A
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2015 at 8:50am
Thanks, Becca! We can see the video now. I guess I missed my first opportunity to say Welcome Aboard! So, a belated Welcome from Cpt Logger. Nice project by the way.

I have a few questions, Are you going to rebuild that engine? If so where? My wife has shared the dining room table with me in the past. She did this so that I could rebuild my VW Baja engine. Most Ladies are not that understanding. Also, Why didn't you move the chassis with the engine in it under the car port to remove the power-plant, transmission & transfer case?  It should have been easier.

You are doing a good job in taking lots of pictures, do not be afraid of taking too many. Trust me, there is no such thing as too many photos. Bagging all the bolts & keeping them with the part that they held on or they held together is just smart! Keep that up. You might put a note in each bag so that you can tell where they came from in case the bag gets separated from the part. It does happen.

Let us know how we can help, we are happy to aide you in your project. Most of us love to share what knowledge we have with the "newbies". Please keep us posted on your progress.

Oh, BTW, the star-lock washers can be either internal or external stars, they both do the same job. IDK which one, if either, is correct for your CJ. I personally do not care. I want my rig to work well. I do not care as much about the "correctness" of it, thus, I can be of no help when it comes to this "correctness" stuff.

Keep up the good work, Cpt Logger.

HelderbergJeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HelderbergJeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2015 at 8:17pm
Keep up the good work on your project Jeep! Things have slowed down on my project Jeep due to the cold weather and snow here in Upstate NY. Hope this weather breaks soon! 
-Zach
Trev1006 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trev1006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2015 at 5:08pm
im just over the line by ft wayne and have a warehouse of parts, you and dad should come look
Trev1006 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trev1006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2015 at 5:12pm
the banjo bolt on the master should loosen, allowing you to spin the plumbing wherever you want
Trev1006 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trev1006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2015 at 5:13pm
cpt. logger, im rebuilding a F head in my dining room as we speak. lol
Becca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Becca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2015 at 6:18pm
Thank you all for the questions and info.  We didn't go and put it under the carport to remove the engine and tranny because my Dad's projects are under there and we did not think that far ahead.  It is one of our main flaws, well mine anyways.  I plan on rebuilding the engine and tranny outside as far from my mom's view as possible.  She is rather picky about her table, and for some reason, her dish washer.  We don't have just bags for the parts coming off of Steve, the Jeep, but we also have buckets to keep the parts sectioned off to where they go.  Which was my brilliants Dad's idea.  I like to take pictures and photos of whatever project I am working on, It helps me put stuff back together when I am finished taking it apart.  I don't post all of the photos on here because it is mostly several pictures of the same thing in different angles, but I do post the important ones.  Currently I have Steve all the way down to the frame and he is sitting on his side.  It is way too cold and snowy to work outside right now.  Burr!Cry  And thank you for the invite to the warehouse, Trev1006, do you happen to have a front bumper or the windshield assembly for a CJ-2a?  My Dad and I may visit when it gets warmer!

Edited by Becca - 16 Feb. 2015 at 6:45pm
1947 Willys CJ-2A
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2015 at 7:11pm
Nice project, Becca. I found that cleaning and painting the parts as they came off the Jeep made it easier to deal with them for inspection, storage, etc. Eventually all the parts are clean sorted and stored and the greasy mess is GONE. Re-assembly goes more smoothly then.

I used heavy duty ZipLock baggies and an indelible marker (Sharpie) to mark bags and make notes. 

I did not sand blast my frame, used a wire wheel and angle grinder. If I was doing it again, I'd get the frame sand blasted and sealed with epoxy primer. Live and learn.

Good luck!
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2015 at 6:09am
Excuse Me; ”grungy old fart with a veterans cap on”!
    1945 CJ2a 11495
Becca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Becca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2015 at 6:08pm
Okay so I bought some parts for my Jeep and finally got them!  The items are as followed: 2 frame horns, 2 shackle pivot brackets, and 1 engine mount bracket for the passenger side.  We are going to bolt the shackle pivot brackets to the frame horns.  I was wondering how everyone else usually has them attached?  Here's a pic of most the parts:
1947 Willys CJ-2A
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2015 at 8:51pm
Originally they were riveted and welded along the side. When I put mine on I just bolted it with grade 8 bolts and and welded it along the side to the frame.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
Becca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Becca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 10:05pm
I got a lot of work done since last I posted.  The front frame horns and the pipe have been cut off even with were the replacements start. Mistake #1.  The replacement frames I bought were meant  to slip over top the old frame by a few inches.  Papa Smurf had to weld those one because I got spoiled by the welding machines at my school, but they are on there.  The new frame horns also are missing a few holes for the axle bump stops and the leaf spring pivot brackets, but that is easily fixed with a few measurments.  Here is the pics:
1947 Willys CJ-2A
Becca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Becca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 10:18pm
1947 Willys CJ-2A
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 12:59am
Becca, welcome! It's cool that you're rebuilding and old jeep. Just keep your eyes on the end product and you'll never give up. Lots and lots of parts are out there. Definitely give Harry a call, he's an old softie!
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
Becca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Becca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 2:37am
I actually plan on heading up that way sometime this summer as a day trip with my Dad. It's about a 4 hr drive from home.
1947 Willys CJ-2A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>