Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1947 Craigslist Barn Find

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Becca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2016 at 1:21am
I don't have pics right now, but I did get the floor pan in this past weekend and the sub-frame tacked down onto the underside of the floor.  Just have to get the fire wall put in, the front part of the rear wheel wells, the hump for the tranny built, and the other rear corner of the driver side part of the tub, and maybe the top side of one of the wheel wells.  It seems like a long list but it shouldn't take too long to do. I've already got part of the rear corner made the rest is flat metal.  The only thing that might take a minuet or better to do would be the tranny hump, I got to get my math right and eyeball it as I go.
1947 Willys CJ-2A
Becca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Becca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2016 at 1:08am

1947 Willys CJ-2A
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2016 at 3:49am
Clap Looking super good!
Becca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Becca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2016 at 5:13pm
Got this little gem finished over the past weekend an most of Monday.
Also did a mock-up of the toolbox.  I have some repairs to do to to the toolbox where there was some water damage. The toolbox fit almost perfectly except for the rear passenger side was off about an 1/8th of an inch off.
1947 Willys CJ-2A
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2016 at 7:29pm
I'll bet the assembly line at the Toledo Willys-Overland plant didn't worry too much about an eighth of an inch on the fit-up of a tool box.

Looks like the body work is coming right along...

Again, the welding looks excellent, keep up the good work and you will have something you can be real proud of.

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 28 Oct. 2016 at 7:32pm
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Becca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Becca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2017 at 1:53am
This past two weeks I got to crack open the rear axle twice.  First time I didn't have to right tools to remove the axle shafts, and the second time I pulled it all apart and cleaned it up.  Diagnosis- Not Good.  At some point in its life it had been rebuilt, but it was missing most of the gaskets that keep in grease, the passenger side bearing and race wasn't driven in all the way and was bad.  Inside the pumpkin all the gears were severly pitted and the ring gear was missing chunks. the casing of the axle on the inside was chewed up and missing chunks and the drain plug threads at the bottom of the axle was messed up and the oil had shrapnel that bit me.  Also the axle shafts were bent and the threads were messed up.  All and all, I can reuse the case if I grind away the sharp areas.  So, plans have changed again for the Jeep.
1947 Willys CJ-2A
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2017 at 2:26am
Unhappy Ouch! Becca thanks for the update ... hopefully the "bite" wasn't that severe!  

I'm sure you'll get some good advice on the forum here -- good luck!

Jim
Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2017 at 4:19am
Hey Becca
Any chance of finding a new rear axle to start with, I see a lot of them on craigslist and if your is that bad it may be cheaper then rebuilding the one you have.
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2017 at 3:34pm
I've been wondering how your project was coming along since we hadn't heard anything about it for quite a while. Don't give up. As 1947-cj2a said, there are rear axles out there that would be in much better shape than the one you have. Be patient, start looking by putting a "want to buy" right on this forum. Something will come up.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Becca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Becca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2017 at 4:31am
Well, new plan.  My favorite Junk-yard has either a DJ-5b, DJ-5c, or a DJ-5d that still has both of its axels attached. And I know they were in perfect order when parked because the guy who owns the yard did an engine swap and it was a daily till he wanted the swapped engine for something else.  Got a good deal to strip the entire thing. So the original idea to keep it as original as possible is sadly ditched. I got the frame completed and as close to original as possible and the body is close save for the bed/backseat area which I'm thinking I'll go with wood on. What y'all think?
1947 Willys CJ-2A
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2017 at 11:56am
This is my 1 cent, I would keep it 4wd because they are so fun and versatile.  You can put lock out hubs on the front and have it drive like a 2wd too.  There's probably people around you that have axles, ask the hoosier willys guys too.
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2017 at 11:51pm
X2 on keeping 4x4. Wood is a great idea. Google MDO (medium density overlay plywood) Used in road signage, boatbuilding, anything in weather. Seal edges. Can look very professional. Pricey, but worth it. 1 4x8' sheet 1/2" is around 80.00 but that should be enough. Measure twice, make cardboard templates, draw a cut layout of all pieces on scaled 4x8 to get best yeild BEFORE cutting sheet. Joshua

Edited by jhg - 07 Apr. 2017 at 12:00am
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
Becca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Becca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2017 at 3:54pm
Would I be able to find this at a Home Depo or Lowes?
1947 Willys CJ-2A
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2017 at 11:51pm
Probably not. Not sure where you live but any lumber yard that also supplies sheet goods to cabinet makers etc should have it. Search under "lumber& supplies". You will get the usual box stores but also a commercial yard that caters to pros. Call them. Its worth it cause its so high quality and paints great.
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2017 at 12:15am
Lowes sells MDO plywood in Indiana. 1/2" 4x8 sheet 47.96`

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Becca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Becca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2017 at 12:42am
I'll have to check that out sometime. Meanwhile i made a tool that puts bends in flat sheet metal for rear fenders/corners of the tub.  The curve that makes up the rear corners is about a 4 inch diameter circle if you completed the curve.  So what I did was bout a pvc pipe thick wall that was 4 inches in diameter and drilled about five holes in it, four at 1/4 inch and one at 1 inch. I also bought a 1 inch pvc pipe and two really long bolts complete with nuts and washers. It turned out nice, I'll post pics when I can take them.
1947 Willys CJ-2A
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 10:47pm
I wrapped mine around a 4 inch fence post to get the curve (not the one jeepfever did for me!).
Rick Estes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678