Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1948 CJ2A in Johannesburg South Africa

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2012 at 1:13pm
Hello Phil,
Good to see a new member from South Africa. Welcome!! I am from Smithfield, Free State (just south of Bloemfontein).
Very nice CJ2A you have there.
Where did you get the NDT tyres?
Frans
Smithfield, South Africa
Tel 0794317256
bundu jeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bundu jeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2012 at 1:01pm
Hi Frans

Thanks for your compliments.

I got my NDT's through Mark Hutton-Brown at HB Willys in Cape Town. He imports quite a number of these at a time, as he services and maintains a lot of Willys jeeps down in the Cape. You could also try Micky at WHM Dealers in Pretoria North.

As you know, the customs duty and shipping charges bump up the prices quite substantially if you order by yourself, but with a bulk order that Mark does, it would be worth asking him to quote you a price for your next order.

Cheers

Phil
48 CJ2A #212540
47 CJ2A #114977
Greg loves cj 2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg loves cj 2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2013 at 9:09pm
Did u have any troubles making it road worthy even though it's a left and drive ?
And where did u get the standard tires ? Thanks allot
Greg .

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bundu jeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2013 at 8:36pm
Hi Greg as long as the licence has been maintained there won't be a problem with licensing a vehicle with LHD. NDT tyres are available as you can order these from Roy at Jeppe Tyre in Jhb. 
48 CJ2A #212540
47 CJ2A #114977
Greg loves cj 2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg loves cj 2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2013 at 9:16pm
Hi

My willes cj 2a is in a bad way and unfortunately we have not kept the licence up to date over the past 20 years ,
Is ther any soloution to this problim , can u regester a LHD car these days.
I am also looking for quite a few small parts such as the hand break and rear lights
Do u have any clue as to where we could locate something like that ?

Thanks for your time
Greg

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bundu jeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2013 at 4:34pm
PM sent.
48 CJ2A #212540
47 CJ2A #114977
donnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2013 at 7:31pm
Hey there all

I am seriously looking for a Willys Jeep CJ2A to buy. Will like to buy it as a project and rebuild it as original as possible. It has been a dream since I was a child and would really appreciate it if some one can point me in a direction who to call or go and see that has one for sale.

Hope to hear from some one soon
Regards
Donald
donnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2013 at 7:35pm
sorry you all

preferable in South Africa. It is really hard to import a Jeep from outside the country and it costs more than what its worth.
Sharky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2013 at 11:28am
Hi Donnie, Google willys jeeps south africa and see whats for sale. All sorts with all kinds of engines. There is one pretty much original but the guy wants R100000 (about $10000) BTW I am ropund the corenr from you in Pretoria North
       OLD MANS RULE
The older I get, The better I was
Olive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2013 at 3:50pm
Hi Donnie
You can try calling Dave in CT on 021 7902551.  He might be able to help you, or look on Gumtree.co.za.
Put Willys jeep cj2a into the search. Good luckSmile
Rory Kew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rory Kew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2013 at 2:29pm
Hi Donnie,
you might also try the online version of auto trader. i found my CJ2 on there about 10 years ago.

You might also try HB Willys in CT, Mark may be able to suggest one or two ideas.

All the best,
Rory
willysboy93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willysboy93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2013 at 11:31pm
I must KNOW what tires and size. that setup with lift and those tires are making me drool :D that is B..E..A..U..TIFUL!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bundu jeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2013 at 1:03pm
Willysboy93 the jeep's tires are 7.00 16 LT NDT made by Speciality Tires of America.

Smile
48 CJ2A #212540
47 CJ2A #114977
willysboy93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willysboy93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2013 at 9:07pm
thank you soo much
Nico View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2014 at 8:44am
hi bundu. Very nice CJ. I bought a cj2a about 6 week ago sn 15429 and the nr on the body and tailgate is 4765. Just a chassis and body. My cj also has an extra brass plate on the dash board. Nr on that is 461229. My 46 has nothing so i got hold of a 48 sn 190076 that will be a used as a organ douner.
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2015 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Olive Olive wrote:

My Serial No is 204891 and body No196030. There were only 259 CJ2A's purchased by the military and this was in 1948 according to their records. The plate above your data plate on the dash is an importers  serial No, and there should me a name of the importers on it as well. The military 2a's as far as I understand did not have this plate as they were directly imported by the SADF, but on the other hand yours is a 48 and your No's are fairly close to mine which could possibly indicate a military 2A.   

Hi Olive and Bundu Jeep,

I bought a '48 CJ2A from a guy in Pretoria in Sept last year and am busy with a full restoration. I'm in Pietermaritzburg. My serial number is 204853 and body number 196008. So my vehicle is only a few units different to yours, Olive! I was asking if anybody knew the history of SA Jeeps on this site a while back, but I only came across your thread on this very topic now.

Nice to know that my Jeep has a "baby brother" so to say, right here in South Africa. And that I have one of what was an original order of only 259 Jeeps!

Cheers,

Mike
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bundu jeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2015 at 7:01pm
Hi Mike

This picture is from a movie called "Dis lekker om te lewe" which was made in 1957 with Al Debbo and Frederik Burgers. It was a comedy about 2 delinquents serving in the old South African Army (Union Defence Force).

They had around 6 tanks or so plus these 2 CJ2A's in the movie. I freeze framed this picture when I saw the jeeps! 

Phil

48 CJ2A #212540
47 CJ2A #114977
wc16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wc16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2015 at 3:13am
Very Nice jeep. and, being from Iowa I also liked the corn!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>