Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1948 CJ2A in Johannesburg South Africa

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2015 at 2:30pm
Hi Mike

Nice to know that our Jeeps No's are so close. I m sure yours is a military CJ as well.
Great to see more South Africans on the site. Smile All the best with your build, hope you going keep us updated, and pics are always appreciated here.
Regards
Lindley
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2015 at 2:56pm
Hi Lindley,

After I read about the "extra" data plate on the passenger side wheel arch, earlier in this thread, I rushed out and took a close look at the same spot on my Jeep. The data plate is gone, but sure enough the screws that would have held it in place are still there.

So that confirmed it for me: the year, the serial numbers, and the evidence that the "extra" data plate was once there - i'm now certain that mine was part of the original 1948 military order.

It sure would be nice to track down the records somewhere.... i'm sure they would have recorded serial numbers, engine numbers and other data like that. Armies are good at keeping records.... I'd be interested to know if mine still has the original engine!

Cheers,

Mike
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
Frans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2015 at 6:10am
One of my CJ2A's (Serial #1614**) had these plates on, also with the Patents plate on the passenger side wheel arch and the small brass plate on the dash, which reads:
Supplied by 
Stanley Motors
LTD
Car no 81163

Frans
Smithfield, South Africa
Tel 0794317256

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2015 at 6:52am
Originally posted by Olive Olive wrote:

Great to see more South Africans on the site. Smile All the best with your build, hope you going keep us updated, and pics are always appreciated here.
Regards
Lindley

I have started a thread on my build, look under the "Your Jeep Project" forum, or search by my forum name. Lots of pictures there.

Cheers.
harleyjem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harleyjem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2016 at 3:15pm
hi
do you have a picture of the patent plate location on the rear fender arch 
jan.
hd

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2016 at 7:25am
Hi Jan,

My patents plate is missing, but the screw holes are still there. I will take a picture and some dimensions and post the results.

Mike
harleyjem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harleyjem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2016 at 8:30pm
hi
tank you then i can get my plate on the right place. jan
hd

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2016 at 6:31am
Hi Jan,

Here is a picture of the rear passenger wheel arch, inside the bin, front facing face.

My plate is missing but you can see the 4 screw heads that would have held it in position.

Here are some dimensions:

Top screws about 50mm down from the wheel arch horizontal.

Left screws about 67mm in from the bin sidewall.

I hope this helps.

Mike

harleyjem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harleyjem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2016 at 12:03pm
this is how it looks with the plate in place
hd
Flatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2017 at 2:41pm
Hi Guys

Does any on know where I can get a replacement headlamp housing for my CJ2A?  I am in Johannesburg.

Thanks! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2017 at 2:57pm
Have you tried Mickey Harris at MH Dealers? 012 567 7536. He is in Pretoria.

Good Luck,

Mike
Paraex79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paraex79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2017 at 7:23pm
Hullo Phil,Mike and all the other SA guys, I will be in touch, just bought a 1947 CJ2a, numbers unconfirmed yet, I am in Westville. Thanks for the thread and pics. I own a 1976, CJ6 , the full Rhd , 3.8L straight six and not the SADF version, what was the movie requirement? All the best
Allan Montile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234