Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1951 willys pickup project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2014 at 12:40am
They may have used the same box all along but that one appears to be for the earlier (round fender) Willys.

Yes, I'd like to have the tailgate myself.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2014 at 3:41am
SSSSSSSSSsssssssssssooooooooo who's going to buy it!

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2014 at 4:39am
well I've started working on mine and it will not be anywhere as nice as that one it doesn't have to be. The inside and outside is dented i beat on it to get it to work with the floor and in the end it will be hauling wood and all the other fun out door things trucks are meant for. 
46 2a
51 truck project named Karen
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2014 at 10:41am
after a very long semester I'm back. after the holidays I'm hoping to get a trailer up north and drag my bed into the metals lab to run there miller 452  to lay down some serious weld. during this i will be sending bits of my engine off to a shop to get it done right. after all that I'm hoping to have a running truck by summer. i ve got a few photos of some minor work i did over the school year but it was so busy i didn't get to do much on the truck. 
46 2a
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2015 at 3:16am
i have designed up some cast iron dual wheel adapters, that being said they will follow some original looks but will be a bit stronger, for a few reasons first casting will be simplified a bit but it will also strengthen them, the material will be changed from cast gray iron to ductile iron. i will post some pics of the solid model and such coming up here in a bit. I could make them looking just like the originals but it would be more work and not as strong. Thanks. 
46 2a
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2015 at 3:42am
46 2a
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2015 at 3:44am
46 2a
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2015 at 3:45am
so the top is the rough casting the bottom is the final machined product except the central bore will be brought out to 4.25" diameter this still has it as the 3.75" which is the size of the core
46 2a
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2015 at 10:57pm
heres the bed.

weight on the bed to help with the warp

miller 452 welder

bed on its side tacking the new braces in and the bed floor to the braces

new front cross member total made on here out of 3/16 or 1/8

put some spacers in between the braces and floor then welded in solid

gas tank skid plate

up rights for the skid plate

all tacked into place

then fully welded

46 2a
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2015 at 12:07pm
Gas tank skid plate and duals, just what are you planning on doing? Hauling Iron Ore? LOL  Gonna be a slow trip with that monster Fhead pulling the weight.  Looks like that shop has some heavy duty cycle welders and those weights in the box, what are those for? John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2015 at 4:06pm
Foundry weights. Used for weighing down molds. But there in my bed to help with the warp as the floor already had some and I was trying to get rid of it.
46 2a
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2015 at 4:02am

Diff cover is all done and good to go
46 2a

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2015 at 12:33pm
Amazing! Someone is going to ask where did you get that. You'll have to tell them it's a very rare option that was so costly it was discontinued. The survivors are worth 600.00 each! LOL
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2015 at 4:45am
haha. i may make another one I'm thinking maybe aluminum or not, I'm casting some more ductile iron this year for my dual wheel adapters so maybe then i will pour another rough cover. 
46 2a
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2015 at 11:16pm
picked up the engine block, got it home and ran into some problems, the cam was bad so i ordered a new one and dropped the block and crank back off at the shop. hopefully when its done this time i can pick it up and assemble it. that all being said I'm working on trim pieces, cup holders, and the heater. trim is almost done, cup holders are on hold and the heater is in paint however i need to get a 12v motor for it. 
46 2a

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2015 at 11:20pm
I'm expecting you in June in the Black Hills, so get with it Schimmmmmster! Oilly
Buzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2015 at 1:09am
Hey Schimms,

Love the thread.  So Mnay things of interest.  Foundry weights?  I haven't seen those in a long time.  Work in a foundry where we cast bells for churches.  HARD WORK!  I am also working on a 60 pickup. Love the work but ran into more rust around windshield than I'd like.
48 2A #173267
60 Pickup
01 Cherokee
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2015 at 1:17am
thanks guys, I'm going to go grab my cables and see if i took enough photos, lately in the lab my phone is my music so i don't have it available for pictures. 
46 2a
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627>