Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1951 willys pickup project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 27>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2012 at 2:20pm
I think I have a extra passenger side vent window handle. PM me your address if you want it. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2012 at 12:03am
Bad news today the shop that was going to bore out that broken exhaust stud and fix my
Mistake said that their plan failed. I was told they would explore their options over the next few days but the only sure thing is an edm however the price is way way out of my ball park. I am going to start looking for a new engine or block and see what my options are incase my engine is shot. I have checked with joe DeYoung who says he has a f head and he will check cOnditin for me. Which is a huge help to me stay tuned guys we will see how this all
Ends up and I'm determined to keep chugging along I want this truck.
46 2a
51 truck project named Karen
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2012 at 1:52pm
When you get to your box, mine had woops and dents in the round top box side tubes also. I found a old solid kingpin that was the exact size of the ID of the tube. I welded it to a piece of hard pipe and worked it through both sides of the box using it as a round dolly. Drive it in the dollys length and then work the dents with a body hammer. It worked well!Big smile John
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2012 at 12:27am
Just got the handle thanks John. Today I spent a lot of time sanding old paint off. I still have some more on the door I've been working on. But hopefully tomorrow I'll be done. Then I'll fill the few small holes. And end up with a primed door. College is coming up so I'm working more and more on this and other stuff. Then there will be a big break
46 2a
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2012 at 3:57am
got all the paint off the outside of my drivers door, then i sprayed it down with primer and let that all dry. after about 4 hours i mixed up some bondo and filled all the holes (see pictures) come thursday i will start to sand off the bondo. i feel it should have plenty of time to harden by then but who knows .
46 2a
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2012 at 4:00am
46 2a
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2012 at 5:36am
Last of the night. I got the bad news two days ago when I started working on my vent. It would only open about 1/2 way but the handle went all the way up so I decided to take it off. ( the vent) I discovered that the metal hinges didn't swivel at all they were actually bending on the base. So I let it sit in pb for a day no change. Last night I used acetylene only but my garage was closed so it was a quick heat cooled by pb. No change. So tOnight I used the full force of the torch and got those babies cherry red then bright orange. Let it cool and Whoo they were lose with a grinding feel. Adding in some pb still a bit of a grind but smoothing up nicely. Tomorrow I'll sand it lightly and add more blaster work it in and call it done.
46 2a

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2012 at 1:10pm
If you aren't cutting out the rust, you should sandblast those areas clean, seal the metal with epoxy primer/sealer, and then use fiberglass bondo. Regular bondo is like a sponge and lets water in. You will have bubbled paint in short order because rust will begin working again under your paint. Those doors are a common problem with water in the bottom mixed with dirt that builds up in there.  I find all kinds of creative rust hole fixes when blasting customers cars. They are all just a temporary cover-up fix. Keep the dirt washed out and the drain holes in the door bottoms clear. Water activates the rust. I took a brush and some good old oil based paint and painted my door bottoms after I cleaned them out. Cheap, but at least I attemped to help the situation. Keep working, winter and school are almost here. You must have that truck done by Thanksgiving!Big smile John
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2012 at 3:47pm
Well wish I knew all that before but it's to late now. Oh well. I'm just gonna hope I get lucky and it holds fine. But the metal is all sealed with that primer. It's a rustoleum stops rust primer.
46 2a
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2012 at 2:07am
After 2 nights of bondo then sanding then bondo that spot and a finish priming. And here is the pics. Also my engine looks like it is done they welded a stud in the hole. http://s1059.photobucket.com/albums/t422/schimms56/51%20willys/?action=view¤t=b36445d8.jpg
http://s1059.photobucket.com/albums/t422/schimms56/51%20willys/?action=view¤t=56d4b88c.jpg
http://s1059.photobucket.com/albums/t422/schimms56/51%20willys/?action=view¤t=c1c4411e.jpg
46 2a
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2012 at 2:09am

46 2a
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2012 at 3:29am
got my cylinders all cleaned up off the engine and found out they all say .040 on them which brings up a point of does this mean the letters in my block are useless? which also begs the question if they are bigger why does my gasket have the same letters on it? so that all being said they are now clean, a new gasket is coming on tuesday, monday i get my frame bill, and then i will go and get some new wires and a distributor tune up kit from napa, slap it all together, run all the lines, and then pour oil over it all, turn the starter a few times to cycle it all and put it into storage untill i return from college to put it in my truck frame. 
46 2a
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2012 at 5:23am
Ok new head gasket is on. Engine is all assembled. Tomorrow I will run the new vacuum lines and fuel lines, fill some more oil in it, and call it done for now. Oh and today I put on new plugs, new points condenser rotor cap the 12v coil. I think it's ready to go.
46 2a
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2012 at 5:10am
for those of you still here im heading to college so this thread will go dead until i get time over breaks, however my dad will be taking my engine up north to sit next to the frame until i can get to it and drop it in the frame, then run it. however i got my bill for frame and engine, and wow it was big, jim helped me out on it alot but still a kick, however luckly i had enough left over for an ebay radiator and just having my birth day a few weeks ago mom and dad said they would buy me some paint for my birthday, so hopefully next spring i will be up north with paint, primer, a buddies air compressor, and time then ill have a good looking truck at least from the outside. 
46 2a
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2012 at 5:21am

As you will notice the oil filter is hanging there. I plan on mounting it to my fender I will make a bracket for it and mount it on that side instead of off the engine. Thanks for watching and all the help guys.
46 2a

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2012 at 1:32pm

Hope school goes well for you. By the time you get out in the spring, you'll be ready for Jeep again. Squirt some oil in the cylinders and turn the engine over so it doesn't rust on you. Plug all holes so the little critters don't make a home in the head and crankcase. I couldn't believe how hard it was to get a mouse nest out of my blockDead. John

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2012 at 3:13pm
Fogging oil (boat store) would be a good choice like Oilleaker mentions.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2012 at 4:26pm
Y would I fog it? Currently I pour oil all over the parts and turned it by hand to lube it all up.
46 2a
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 27>