Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2" receiver

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gostby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2" receiver
    Posted: 19 Nov. 2016 at 3:57am
Greetings CJ'ers: Has anyone fabricated a 2 inch receiver for the rear of their Willys? Any pictures? Thanks, Gary
gostby
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2016 at 5:43am
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2016 at 5:18pm
Harbor Freight receiver .  I just bolted it to the draw bar.  I used a bolt in 4 holes in the draw bar to secure it. If I remember correctly I had to drill 2 holes in the receiver to mount the 4 bolts.

It did hang low though. I am sure something could be made so it bolts to the 4 bolts holding the top of the draw bar/ frame together, where the pintle hook bolts to. 

Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2016 at 5:53pm
I had to repair my rear crossmember on the 3B. It was fairly bent up by the POs, (I might have had a part in it from the PTO), so I ended up cutting it into about 6 pieces to get it off.
I got a section of 4" channel and got it all cut to fit, tapered ends and all. Looked at what was leftover and decided to make a bumper with a receiver hitch built into it all. I cut some 3" spacers, tacked it all up and pulled it off and welded it up with some good anchors up the frame that are well bolted to the frame.
The bumper sticks out about 3 1/2 from the rear and is at the same level as the crossmember.
My Jeep obviously isn't real stock anymore.
uncamonkey
Dave Pete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2016 at 6:01pm
Gary - $10 salvage yard receiver, was OEM attached to an old Ford Truck step bumper. A few bucks at the Steel Store for a some odds and ends. $75 welding shop fee (that was just to weld - I designed, cut out all the parts and instructed the welder how they assembled; it would have been a lot more if they'd had to design it). But if you weld? Or know somebody? Side mounted spare tire mount bolts to it. Remove the tailgate bolts and the whole thing hinges down below the lowered tailgate height. With proper supports, tailgate chains, etc. think Elk Carrier.

Fastens to the pintle hitch frame point. Had to weld the hitch to the 4" steel plate and get a little longer bolts.

With the 2017 Black Hills Run - Narrow Track event coming up, this kills a couple birds (no animals were hurt in this discussion).

Oh! I might add. Got me one helluva good stowage spot for the soft top doors between the tailgate and spare tire framing, where the doors rest on the top of the plate that used to bolt to the Ford bumper. Ruth made some covers for the doors. Keeps 'em near and out of the way!

Edited by Dave Pete - 19 Nov. 2016 at 6:49pm
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2016 at 7:09pm
Dave, it looks like you figured it out. You need to have the receiver up high enough so it won't drag when off road and you got the spare up far enough so you can actually get a trailer on without having to take the spare off.
uncamonkey
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2016 at 11:08pm
Perhaps just food for thought since I replaced the entire rear cross member but what I built for my B.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2016 at 11:04pm
here's mine.
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
gostby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gostby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2016 at 5:04am
Thanks for all the good ideas. Gary
gostby
pjensen641 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjensen641 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2016 at 1:49am
Don't know why I cant find a better photo, but here is mine.  Rear bumper is a 2X3" tube (or maybe 1.5 X 3).  Cut a square hole in and welded a pre fabbed receiver tube from the local farm store.  The end sits flush with the rear of the bumper.  The pin goes through in front of the bumper.  Nice and tidy.

shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2016 at 7:25pm
I have thought about installing one as apposed to the stock pintle hitch, my thoughts are to cut and weld the tube into the plate where the pintle would be bolted up too but set into the plate so its nearly flush, this would give me the option of a ball or pintle or a recovery hook without taking away from the look of stock
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2017 at 7:40am
Here's my bumper pics.  Several show the custom 2" receiver I built.

1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2017 at 4:37pm
Heres an upside down shot of mine. I had to shorten my frame (its a 56 CJ5 frame 2A tub) so I went all out Added a cross member and boxed the frame in the back very complicated but I'd jerk the frame out from under the jeep before I could damage the Receiver mount. My rear cross member is tubing cut to look like the original (except equal taper on both sides) Thing is I will most likely be using a stinger with a Pintle mounted to it since I am going to be building an off road camping trailer to go with the Jeep.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
 Post Reply Post Reply