Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

3D printed willys

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmamos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3D printed willys
    Posted: 20 Mar. 2017 at 6:30pm
Did anyone else see the 3D printed willys jeep last fall at the IMTS show in Chicago? The body was printed along with the fenders and hood. I was cleaning pictures out of my phone and ran across them, thought I would share.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2017 at 2:36am
I'd be interested to see the printer they used to print it.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2017 at 6:44am
I would be curious about the weight differences ( This, stock, fiberglass, etc;) and also is it stronger/weaker compared to the others? Cost wise too.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2017 at 6:47am
Interesting the windshield is not clamped down.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2017 at 6:54am
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

Interesting the windshield is not clamped down.

Good eye! If you look closer there are bungee cords on each side holding it in place.
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2017 at 2:31pm
Wonder if it's abs plastic or some other material?
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2017 at 10:24pm
Looks like even the jerrycan carrier was printed.  And what's with the clutch and brake pedals?  They look weird.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2017 at 11:29pm
I believe the pedals loo funny because the are just partly stuck in there.

See the Directional signal stalk at 6:00 at the base of the steering column? They are showing how some parts can be reproduced, but it appears mostly normal Jeep parts.

Notice no hoses to the vacuum valve for the wipers?
NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2017 at 1:04pm
What was it made of? It looks pretty good from the pics. If somebody made a tub out of a strong plastic like what is on a 4 wheeler body that would be pretty awesome. The color could be molded in and wheeling damage would pop right out.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2017 at 1:28pm
And just think... IT would only cost $50,000 for materials and printer time!
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2017 at 1:46pm
Yes, price...unobtainium.  So since it is basically a full size model car kit is it just one of those 'see what we can do that has no purpose' things?

Or is it 'heres what we can do and you cant' kind of things? Wink

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2017 at 3:04pm
Would it really be that expensive? Somebody already has the printer and the file with the plans. Seems like all you would do is press print and wait. The more you make the cheaper it should get right? How long would it take to print something like that? Clearly I don't know anything about 3 D printing though, so no telling what I'm missing. I guess if you wanted to make a plastic body it would be easier to just make a mold and start
popping them out.

Also, what were these guys selling that was worth all that trouble? $50k of bragging rights?
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2017 at 3:37pm
Joe, you don't like your turn signal switch down at your feet????
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2017 at 3:53pm
The stalk doesn't appear to be installed when the picture was taken. If you enlarge the pic you can see the hose clamp used to attach it to the column.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2017 at 4:52pm
Our local library actually has a 3d scanner and a 3d printer.
The charge is $1 per hour of print time.
A Jeep shift knob takes about 5 hours to print.
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2017 at 7:56pm
3d printing is a relatively new technology - one that is growing and becoming cost efficient.

With anything new it is expensive. For a CJ2A, parts and vehicles are cheap. Parts manufacturing facilities are already setup and run constantly. However, if you need that special body panel for a 1930 Bugatti, that's where the beauty comes in. 3d printing will increase the ability to print unique 1-off parts that aren't available anywhere else.

Need a bracket the night before a trail ride? Print the part right at your shop.

As time goes on I'm sure you'll be able to purchase CAD files for different parts for print. The technology is amazing - quite a few years ago scientists 3d printed a beating heart. Improvements are on the horizon.
Doug Timme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Timme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2017 at 8:58pm
All of the large scale 3D printed objects I have seen are pretty rough with visible grooves for each pass of the printer.  This Jeep body is very smooth. I wonder if they spent some time finishing the surface.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2017 at 9:08pm
Based on both experience and an observation of the floor and seat texture I tend to believe there is a healthy layer of glazing putty on that baby prior to paint.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>