Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

46 CJ2A #69750

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 25>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2017 at 1:09am
Good for you. Keep up the work.

Giles
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2017 at 1:15am
I have 3 sons and they never even left the 3 pieces.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2017 at 1:28am
Clap Time and patience, sometimes that's what it takes, time and patience.....  Thumbs Up   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2017 at 1:37am
Originally posted by leecarr leecarr wrote:

I have 3 sons and they never even left the 3 pieces.

HA!..."bright side" LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2017 at 1:47am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Clap Time and patience, sometimes that's what it takes, time and patience.....  Thumbs Up   BW

6 weeks of walking by, daubing 50/50 on it, tapping with a small ball peen... on and on.  Several times feeling like I was right to the edge of breaking the fitting.  It was all good until pulling the engine was on the schedule for this coming weekend.. 

SO relieved Tongue
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2017 at 2:12am
A lot of hard work is going into that gem. Keep it up Mike, everything you're doing is putting you that much closer to a finish. Looks great!

Tim
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2017 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

My inability to remove the sending unit for my period temperature gauge has been haunting me...really didn't want to lose this Cry

After almost six weeks off and on, soaking, tapping, mild heat for fear of over heating... tonight I was going to "freeze" spray the brass to see if I could crack it loose.  One last try with a pair of open end wrenches before spraying... and

Clap  Good for you!!
Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2017 at 3:05pm
Thanks, guys...Embarrassed

So last weekend the front clip came off, this weekend got some more work in and the Kaiser SS engine/T90/D18 are "out"...well, still "in", but out LOL... about 4pm yesterday afternoon it came time to put the hook to it, and that involved moving stuff around in the garage, putting the mower out in the cold, making more space I didn't have to put the tooth after I pulled it, yada, yada.  That, and the plan is to split things and get the block on a stand, etc., and I just didn't have the gas late on a sunday Embarrassed

Decided the best place to store it for the work week was right where it was, lol...  sitting on the engine mounts at the front plate, and a jackstand at the T90.  It's out.  

But in.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2017 at 10:35pm
when I was a pup, there were only a couple rules regarding lifting heavy things...

-don't get in a hurry,
-don't get under it, and
-don't (fug) up....

It still works Smile
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2017 at 12:10am
Nice looking equipment for heavy lifting...apparently it worked as advertised...at least on the out phase of the out and in... Stay safe...

I can see why you put the mower out in the weather...the shop looks a little crowded...kind of like mine.

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 05 Mar. 2017 at 12:12am
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2017 at 9:07pm
If I had to do it again, I'd remove the bumper, I'd not hook the skid plate on the radiator mount, lol,  and I'd...I'd... that's pretty much it.  Been awhile since I pulled an engine, but this was fairly uneventful.  The engine hoist, and being able to use the 800lb shop hoist to grab the trans/TC to separate them, was key...Smile

The block would've been on a stand already if I had the bolts, but a HD/Lowes run was already on the docket, so that got remedied today.  The flywheel (and a spare head) are out to get resurfaced...The flywheel has never had a clutch on it (only the genset coupler), seemed like sending it out to get cleaned up was short money well spent.  Looking like next weekend the RMC and it's rebuilt mates should get at least assembled... I'd love one nice day to degrease, powerwash and maybe paint a little under the hood before putting the newstuff in.  At the end of the day this is a repower, not a resto.

O.k., so in necropsy mode, the engine and trans mounts...junk.  TC mount...meh... My throwout bearing had been whining, so I found what I expected.  The ring gear was chewed up a lot more than I had expected, but the bendix was/is serviceable (even though I won't be using that starter).  The back of the flywheel has some awful marks on it, something bad happened in there, lol.  It may coincide with the "extra" piece that fell out of the bell housing.  Looks to be what remains of a previous bendix/starter...  Whatever.  Going forward and not back.  The Supersonic is up on a stand, going to get the head off just to get an early indication of where that engine is at, and look forward to next weekend being in the 50's both days... though the long range is currrently calling for snow friday and highs around 38 sat and sun, lol

Edited by mbullism - 05 Mar. 2017 at 9:14pm
Ynotayj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ynotayj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2017 at 6:13pm
So I'm thinking this is working next to the woodstove weather considering Stella is beating down your door?
Matt
JK
YJ
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2017 at 3:20pm
So it's been a couple weeks since I did anything constructive on 69750... I did pull a 220v subpanel out into the garage, and get my heater going,though. It's nice to not be pumping water out there with the propane heater...

"Stealing" some e-brake pieces off the TC for reuse on the refurbed unit, I finally had occasion to poke around inside the trans to see if the "pop out of second" was obvious... oh, boy... 3-4-3, lol:

Ah-one-ah...
A-two-ah...
Ah-three-ah...
all three dogs in the syncro clutch hub broken, the forward ring is trash.  The rear ring doesn't look terrible (I know,I know) but the steel chevrons on second gear are rounded like BB's, lol... why this thing didn't just lock up tight is a mystery to me, except that I figure one or two dogs broken creates an imbalance...somehow it was "happy" with all three busted.  Go figure. 
grabbing the input shaft the play in the front bearing is frightening.  Heck,I can't believe the throwout bearing was whining it's SO f-ing loose... I recall my PO telling me it had had a recent clutch.   Ermm Censored

I expect I'll find an issue in the D18 eventually...I had several instances on the NH ride where it would jamb while shifting in or out, up or down...  I wrote it off as me at the time, fighting the lockout pin.  We'll see eventually  Wink

Long story short, this refurb swap was a good call all the way around.  Turns out the T90/D18 pair I'm swapping in are only about three weeks newer than the original.  My educated guess on build date for 69750 is 10/31-11/01 '46.  The T90 coming out has an assembly date of K 18 6, so 10/18/46 which fits... D18 #J61602.  The pair going in (for now, lol) are L 7 6 (11/07/46) and J67245.

I'm really looking forward to driving it THIS way (refurb'd), lol.

Edited by mbullism - 03 Apr. 2017 at 3:23pm
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2017 at 2:41pm
So the other night I continued on with cleaning and painting some of the misc parts associated with getting the RMC situated this weekend or next...on a break of sorts, I found myself staring at the supersonic block I removed recently, and it occurred to me I hadn't pulled the head and peeked yet.  I had originally pulled it for low oil pressure and a low end knock at startup, and eventually I'll get to the bottom end, but curiosity got to me so off with its head, lol...  bores shiny and apparently unscathed...no crosshatch this time  LOL .  Pop a snap gauge down a couple bores... 3.155...3.157... couldn't be 30 over on standard pistons, could it?... a little wire brushing shows the block hasn't been sleeved, so that's good.  clock a couple pistons to the top and hit them with the brush... "30" in tiny font clearly on top...of all four.  There is life left in it  Smile  and I may get away on top with a hone and a re-ring...TBD.  Now my curiosity has me wondering about the bottom where I've suspected I'll find something amiss from the beginning...but warmer weather is around the corner, and I've plenty to do yet-

Edited by mbullism - 08 Apr. 2017 at 11:42am
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 10:16pm
Soooo... time to catch this up a bit.  I got the genset engine mated to the refurb'd T90 and D18.

Had to get past a pilot bushing issue.  "Loose" fit on the input shaft until pressed into the flywheel, then .004" too tight...and the manual diameter of 0.628 an odd size.  PITA.  Searched out and adjustable reamer, the only casualty was time.  That sorted, it was time to get big pieces together.  Frankly, the most interesting part was getting the T90/D18/bell housing off the bench in the basement upstairs into the garage... John Deere with the forks reached down the bulkhead and picked it off a tool cart sweet  

Then docked all the players together:
It was just about here that I discovered that in spite of my due diligence, I had the wrong ring gear Confused...
Delays for parts and bruised ego, then off withe the old brand new:
and on with the new brand new:
Full disclosure, a half hour soak in the oven at 500*f was not enough... it ended up on the webber, lid down with the thermometer pinned at 550 to get it done.  That flywheel was still plenty warm to the touch when reinstalled a half hour later...
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 2:20am
I like my ring gear medium rare please.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 2:25am
Originally posted by leecarr leecarr wrote:

I like my ring gear medium rare please.

LOL
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 5:03am
toss on some oak chips.... now we're talkin

Looking great!
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 25>