Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'46 VEC? came with L-Head to power a mill saw?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minnow1193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2016 at 5:57pm
You may need to polarize your generator. I can't remember the process, but it's very easy. Google will tell you. Try that before you tear it apart.
Mudhog92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mudhog92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2016 at 8:22pm
To smfulle:
I read that on Advance Adapters as a possible cause.  I believe that to be one of the easier fixes in the realm of problems that cause popping out of gear.  I will email Herm to get his thoughts on this before I tear into it.  Thank you for the feedback.
Mudhog92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mudhog92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2016 at 8:32pm
I polarized the VR, that did not work, then I polarized the gennie.  Thank you for your assist in trouble shooting.  I really appreciate it.

I tore it apart (at work no less) and found a broken tension spring on the one brush.  The commutator and armature where pretty funky so I cleaned it all up.  Test it tonight.

Cleaned commutator, but not armature...yet

cleaned with replacement parts, all special order items from local hardware store! Broken spring is on "VICTOR" of the trap.

new again.  I love it when those tiny, sharp, little end pieces of wire go thru my top layer of skin on my finger tip to remind me I'm alive and can feel....
Will test it tonight.  All resistance and continuity readings are good for field, poles, armature and commutator. Crossing my fingers (one with band aid-does that insulate and do I need a ground wire?!?).
Mudhog92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mudhog92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2016 at 1:12am
Generator now puts out 12.35 volts at idle. Ammeter now bounces on the plus side. Yeah!
Mudhog92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mudhog92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2016 at 1:18am
...and I see it should be 7 volts, lol.
Mudhog92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mudhog92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2016 at 1:21am
Disregard. I see the error in my thinking...or lack of...
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2016 at 2:26am
Mudhog I love your enthusiasm and zeal to get this beauty on the road (or off?) again!
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2016 at 2:33am
Repair on the generator looks nice. One word of caution would be to make sure the spring tension is between 35 - 53 ounces to prevent excessive wear or brush bounce. Keep up the good work.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Mudhog92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mudhog92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2016 at 4:04am
I thought about that, but had no idea how to test except SWAG it. The new spring 'feels' a tad lighter than the original one- which is rusty, old, and weak. I should have replaced both but felt like I was pushing my luck and crossing the boundry of 'if it's not broke, keep your grubby clueless gorilla mitts off it!'
I listened to my inner voice for about the second time in my life. I mean hey, I even bought two mouse traps!
Mudhog92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mudhog92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2016 at 4:06am
Thank you Rick. Just realize my postings are for you to muse at my experience that I am sharing for others to learn from my mistakes. I am an experienced expert in mistake making...but I learn. I NEED to work on this for my remaining sanity. After Obamacare, it is cheaper than therapy.
The resources on this site are simply amazing and greatly appreciated.

Edited by Mudhog92 - 29 Nov. 2016 at 4:11am
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2016 at 5:47am
Nice Job and great that your kid is helping out. She will probably become an addict later and its all your fault.
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
Mudhog92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mudhog92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2016 at 1:30am
Butt wut!?!
It's a Kayline (I think) tire carrier 2 gas can swing out.  I need to work on it, but I had to put it on as I need it to see where I could put the lights.  The right one had to be put a 1/2" left and I still need to cut and re-fab the right most support on the carrier.  It has a few twists and bends that I need to remove, strip and paint.  Plus it looks like the right light has the license plate window.  I will black that out some how.

Dashing! Isn't it!?!  Fuel gauge not working but will bounce up and down at times.  Not sure if ground issue, 6v gauge,....has new sending unit.  I bought a twisting throttle lock from NAPA.  I like it.
Realize that painting all body components made for a decent paint job, made for a problem with grounding everything.  Nothing says happiness like intentionally scratching the new paint off your dash to ground the high beam indicator.

She lives!  I took an old Army shelter half and turned into a quick summer top with zip ties and bungee cords because it was raining and I am going for a drive.....
The smile was at the request of my 11 yr old stepdaughter who has helped quite a bit.  She is so excited to come home from school and see new fixes and come out and help me wrench after diner.  As cheesy as it is, I kinda like it.  2 minutes with a black rattle can can fix it if I choose, but it stays for now.  It's 'OUR' Willy's.

I captured a picture on my phone from the video, but it put it into .png format, which will not load on the forum.  So I took a picture off the screen, blah, but eh, it's in .jpeg now.

She drives straight, brakes still soft, leaking all around the master cylinder.  2nd gear grinds while driving.  Figure I need to adjust column shift linkage.  Easy 55mph with the 30% OD on, and one hand holding down the jerry-rigged top.  OD still pops out under hard accelerating, well, hard for a Willy's.  It almost feels like the linkage is not allowing enough throw, almost like it is just barely in gear.  It only does it in direct drive.  If I put it in overdrive, it holds.  

She smokes.  Figure cylinder 4 is poop in the ring department.  I can test that later too.  

I have not touched the springs.  They looked good enough for the time being.  They are definitely not too soft.  They ride about as soft as cement blocks.  I do have all new shackles I need to put in.  New shocks are on already.  Need to put in inner windshield rubber seal too.

Feels good to roll finally.  
6 months, lots sweat, few stitches, more $ than I care to add up (not too bad really). Can't wait to find another one.  Walck's has a Commando with the Odd fire, but the engine is seized.  If it spun, I would grab it.
Thanx again to all who helped advise.

Mudhog92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mudhog92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2016 at 7:06pm
Picture below, see that crooked little bolt inside the starter?
Not holding the wrong Bendix gear?  It was a 9 tooth...did not work with my 97 tooth ring gear.
Ordered a 10 tooth off Ebay as Walck has 9 tooth.  9 tooth chewed up my ring gear a little.  What a pleasure it was getting the brushes back over the commutator.  All cleaned up, reinstalled.  Tried to replace the bushing in the bell housing, couldn't get it out, seemed OK, reused it.  Put my new one in the parts box for now.

Broke one of my grill lights during disassembly.  $22 double filament motorcycle bullet lights.  Looks vintage enough and will serve as my turn signals.  I kept the old grill lights, and the lenses almost fit.  Little work and they will.  

New back seat from stock mild steel pieces, left over project lumber, and a recycled Army shelter half. Foam is recycled too. Environmentally friendly Willys.

Need to adjust the clutch, but can get around, even if it's 25* outside with flurries.

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2016 at 7:57pm
Looking good!
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2016 at 9:10pm
Looking good. I guess that starter is sorted then. How about he overdrive?

Seems like every time I pull the grill I have to buy a new 6 volt headlight. Those things can get slapped by all kinds of brush and trail hazards, but let one barely touch the concrete floor of the garage and it's off to the parts store for a new one. 
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Mudhog92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mudhog92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2016 at 10:02pm
Thanx.
Overdrive keeps popping out, and now once I drive it for 1/2 mile, the clutch barely disengages.  
Wanted to look at the OD-crawl under and remove floor plate in tub and look at linkage, but the starter went.  Then when I wanted to do it again, now it's the clutch.  Plus it's 25* and snowing on and off. I am under roof, but on cement slab with no heat and it gets wet when it rains, so I do not have the inner drive to lay on the cold cement, get wet, and do extra like look at the OD.  I will do what I have to do.  The gen, then the starter, now the clutch.  The OD is coming.  
I was following your link about the synchro's and the play you had.  hoping someone would have a quick easy answer to fix both of our OD issues.  
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2016 at 10:13pm
Trying to locate a thicker snap ring or two for my transmission that I think will finish up my synchro problems then I can get it all back together and see if my little poppet ball cheat made a difference on the overdrive. I'll wrap it all up in that thread when I get it sorted.

I feel your pain on the cold cement issues. I worked on my stuff in a carport for many years. When we were looking for our new house my one "have to have" was a big garage to keep me dry. It's not heated, but I have a propane heater that I fire up if it's too cold in there. My wife says "we bought a garage with a house attached."
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2016 at 2:28am
Stan:

PM me your address.

I found the box of Willys snap rings and can send you the one for the main bearing, and the 4 thicknesses available for the other, black, dark blue, light blue, and orange.

I'm leaving for Victorville again till Christmas so I haven't even had a chance to measure them...

but I did find the color code in an old post.

Just for reference, the 643621 spacer should actually be .296 +/- .002

Here are the factory snap ring thicknesses and color codes

640783 = blue dot = .086 to .088 thick IMPORTANT - prior to 3/2/54 this part was .100-.102 thick 
640784 = orange dot = .089 - .091 thick
640785 = green dot = .092 - .094 thick
640894 = red dot = .096 - .098 thick
808858 = light blue dot = .100 - .102 thick

Edited by Joe Friday - 13 Dec. 2016 at 2:37am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>