Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'46 Weed Sprayer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kossak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '46 Weed Sprayer
    Posted: 02 Mar. 2017 at 3:57pm
After following many threads of your excellent work, I'm finally getting around to posting my project- "Southern Ontario Weed Sprayer". I made a big switch after restoring a 1986 CJ7 to showroom condition, and selling it, to Willys. And 12 months later, I'm glad I did!
#68553 2a was purchased from an elderly retired farmer in southern Ontario, near Goderich. It was rigged up with 15 foot booms on each side of the front bumper, and a series of spray nozzles, as well as a 55 gallon drum on the passenger side, and a pump powered by the rear PTO. For years he used it to spray his fields and ditches with 2-4-D! Parked in my driveway, you could smell the herbicide 4 doors away!

It took several power washes to get most of the herbicide white crud of the body and frame! It is Pasture Green under that big bad coat of primer the PO painted. I also had a second frame with a seized GPW. It was in better shape than the original.

I cleaned it up, and painted the frame. Then began on axles, steering components, and suspension.

new cross member and PTO fitted.

Axles get new seals, backing plates cleaned up..

home made seal / bearing press!

new steering king pin bearing and seals

The original body required a considerable amount of work, but as luck had it I found a replacement tub somebody no longer needed.  I stripped everything I needed from the original body as well as measurements of every hole and wire location.  Here's the original floor condition

I removed the engine and tranny and cleaned it up and reinstalled on restored frame:

This is the engine being reinstalled:

Edited by Kossak - 12 Mar. 2017 at 4:19pm
46 CJ2A 68553
86 CJ7 (restored & sold)
15 JKU
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2017 at 4:16pm
Nice jeep and history Jeff.Its nice to see a other Canadian ,welcome aboard .Nice shop. Have fun with your project.      

Giles

Edited by Gil - 02 Mar. 2017 at 4:19pm
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2017 at 6:11pm
There was a local guy who ran a small field spraying co that used a pair of 2A/3A jeeps he was using them up until I was in high school I think so would have been about 1972. I remember dad commenting that the chemicals had pretty much completely eaten the jeeps away by the time they were junked. He had a much fancier setup though a stainless steel oval tank in the back as well as hydraulically operated spray arms that would fold forward so he could run down the road without snagging power lines. Used to see him pretty often while on the school bus in the mornings. Only Farm working jeeps (except for a couple that maybe pulled the occasional trailer on a farm) that I ever saw as a kid.

Edited by Mark W. - 03 Mar. 2017 at 3:35am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Kossak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kossak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2017 at 10:12pm
Mine sure is't rotted out, in fact I am amazed at how few bolts have snapped taking this apart! the engine mount was broken and to bridge the gap the PO used a railroad tie spike to keep the engine level! I've kept that one as a souvenir! There were a few other McGiver items I found. But all in all it was lucky to be stored in a drive shed all its life and out of the worst elements. 

Edited by Kossak - 02 Mar. 2017 at 10:16pm
46 CJ2A 68553
86 CJ7 (restored & sold)
15 JKU
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2017 at 10:39pm
Welcome to the forum! MacGyver or Bubba? Same person I'm guessing. Whatever it took to get the Jeep to keep going. LOL

Data---> http://cj-2a.com/parts_list/CJ2A_data.php
Kossak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kossak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2017 at 12:45am
Now that  the engine was installed, I rebuilt the carb and installed the exhaust system. The fuel pump was a little sketchy so I bought a new one for cheap from a dealer who had just purchased another company's stock. I had the rad tested and cleaned.  I made a temporary dash with Amp, oil pressure and switch etc to give it a test..

temporary dash:

Flawless and smooth!
46 CJ2A 68553
86 CJ7 (restored & sold)
15 JKU
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2017 at 1:07am
Looking good,love the colour of your rim.should be on the road in no time.

Edited by Gil - 03 Mar. 2017 at 1:58am
Kossak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kossak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2017 at 1:53am
I'm hoping for springtime (this year!) but my makeshift paint booth is not ready! then final assembly and certification. fingers crossed.
46 CJ2A 68553
86 CJ7 (restored & sold)
15 JKU
Kossak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kossak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2017 at 3:30pm
I got the wheels sandblasted and primed at a local shop.  Luckily the rims weren't out of round, just a little chewed up at the lug holes on a couple.  I welded them smaller and ground them to the proper finish. I think the PO used a pipe wrench on two of them before it was discovered they were LH thread possibly! After a lot of research and testing I found what I thought was the closest match to Autumn Yellow. I found rattle cans by Rust Check in "Old Caterpillar Yellow" rust paint.  I think it has the right amount of orange in the yellow. Here's how they turned out:

Once they cured and I was happy with the finish I got my tires installed.  What a difference, it made the project looked like it was nearing the finish line!

Once I get to painting the body Pasture Green I will paint a stripe on the wheels to give them the final  finished touch. 
My driveway changes colour (color) with every new project. first it was muck colour from the farm field dirt after several power washings, then grinding made it rusty red after rain oxidized all the iron!  and of course oil from some early leakages before the axle rebuilds then grey from primer spraying....then back to black with all the small parts being sprayed up! Can't wait till the (pasture) green hits the pavement!
46 CJ2A 68553
86 CJ7 (restored & sold)
15 JKU
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2017 at 4:30pm
It will make your jeep pop, nice combination.Did you get your tires at Willysacres?

Giles.
Kossak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kossak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2017 at 4:43pm
Yes, got them at W.A. before their prices got adjusted across the board on all their new and old stock.
46 CJ2A 68553
86 CJ7 (restored & sold)
15 JKU
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2017 at 12:32am
Haven't been to Goderich since I was a kid. My dad grew up in Bayfield.

Jeep looks great.

Bill
Holy Toledo! Jeep Calendars and the Dispatcher Jeep magazine

http://dispatchermagazine.com
Kossak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kossak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2017 at 2:04am
Thanks Bill! Goderich and Bayfield are both pretty nice! (especially Bayfield!) I'm actually from Sarnia way back.  Are you working on one yourself?
Jeff
46 CJ2A 68553
86 CJ7 (restored & sold)
15 JKU
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2017 at 3:18am
Jeff,
Looking good!
Don't want to side track your thread, but I thought you might get a kick out of the fact that your "weed sprayer" title of this thread makes it so it gets killed by the internet filters where I work. I'm the librarian at a jr. high school. If I click on your thread at work all I get is a big "BLOCKED" sign. I guess we can't have those 7 th graders here in Utah seeing anything about "weed" at school.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2017 at 4:19am
the colour for the rims is great I never thought of old cat yellow , and hello from the west coast eh
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2017 at 10:59am
Lol...the title of this thread didnt make it through my brain filter.  Took a while to think "jeep" :)

Welcome!  Great work!
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Kossak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kossak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2017 at 5:22pm
Well it never occurred to me the title thread would throw off computers...and people too! how many others are missing out on this story?!
Here's some shots of the grille, sanded and filled, and the light cleaned up and painted Hershey brown, then test fitting.

Everything seem to fit up pretty snug.  I disassembled and put it away until painting is complete.
I had two original parking lights that were a bit rusted and gone. Rather than replace them with new ones, I cleaned then up and just got new lenses from Carl Walck, and installed 2 wire sockets through the back side of the rusty bullets. That way I can use them as signals with amber 1157 bulbs.  I'll do my best to cover the mess up at the back of each one with asphalt loom later when I get to rewiring.

Edited by Kossak - 04 Mar. 2017 at 5:33pm
46 CJ2A 68553
86 CJ7 (restored & sold)
15 JKU
Kossak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kossak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2017 at 4:07pm
Trying to make it legal for cruising downtown I decided to install a reverse light and switch, similar to another posting in the forum. Using the open end of the tranny - reverse shift rail - to push a mounted switch on and off.  I modified my bracket from the other post to suit the limit switch I'm using.  I'm going to use a small waterproof LED light I picked up at the marine section of Bass Pro

bracket:

Switch and bracket in position at rear of tranny:

LED light that will hang from small bracket near license plate:

Wiring in place at switch then test with the battery / works like a charm!

46 CJ2A 68553
86 CJ7 (restored & sold)
15 JKU
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>