Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'46 Weed Sprayer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2017 at 4:21pm
Great lights front and back
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2017 at 9:13pm
nice work - looks great!

Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2017 at 2:03am
Nice.    
Kossak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kossak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2017 at 3:10pm
thanks Guys! nice work too on yours Dennis!
46 CJ2A 68553
86 CJ7 (restored & sold)
15 JKU
Kossak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kossak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2017 at 1:10am
Got the Reverse light fabbed up and painted, and light mounted.  Then wired it into the main harness this weekend.  I used a 4 conductor trailer wire for brakes& turn, tail, and reverse light.  You can barely see the reverse light under the crossmember! I think it will pass inspection (hoping!)

mounted using crossmember bolt

46 CJ2A 68553
86 CJ7 (restored & sold)
15 JKU
Kossak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kossak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2017 at 1:48am
Last week I gave it a front end alignment using a yardstick and ruler.  I think it will suffice for now but may get it checked at an old alignment shop in town.  Here are some photos of the steering gear, before and after:

Steering gear rebuilt, and filled with JD Corn Head Grease. it should do the trick.

46 CJ2A 68553
86 CJ7 (restored & sold)
15 JKU
Kossak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kossak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2017 at 12:56am
Here's some of the work I completed this past week on the rear view mirror I acquired from Peter DaBellas (wish I found this supplier earlier in my resto!) I also picked up my windshield frame fitted with new glass done by a small vendor located close by. He has cardboard patterns for hundreds of vehicles that are decades old. He looks up your model in a book then heads to the shelf to find the correct piece of cardboard with the full size glass cutout - used to trace the glass, or check after you have made the cuts. Some were getting pretty worn out after that many years! He told me he got the huge set from a retired glass man in West Virginia recently. The patterns were stacked side by side on a shelf 2 feet deep and about 10 or 12 feet long. 
We were amazed at the lack of rust in my frame all round. I guess keeping the jeep parked in a barn for 70 years helps!
here's a piece out of the reference book he used:

The old & new windshield and parts:

new mirror and fabbing up bracket to fit my windshield:

finished with glass, now just waiting for paint:

46 CJ2A 68553
86 CJ7 (restored & sold)
15 JKU
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2017 at 2:19am
Nice job,your windshield was really in good shape, I will have to try to get a mirror for my windshield and make a bracket like yours.Nice work    
Giles
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2017 at 2:43am
Just like Gil said nice mirror bracket
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
Kossak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kossak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2017 at 12:54am
Thanks for the comments guys!  
I've been working on the paint matching process as of late. Finally think I have it now, the Pasture Green that is.  I used a code left by one of our compatriots herein, but ended up mixing more yellow in to come closer to the original metal left form the body. It is PPG single stage Delfleet #410870 to start. The samples were pretty protected over the years so I don't think it faded any. As always internet colour matching is tough but here's how it turned out so far:

in the paint booth:

the back side of hood and grill get the test colour:

the tailgate:

the body got a shot of primer today before the wind picked up.  but the temp was OK at 24C! (about 75F for you guys south of here!)

so I think its time to go back to Car Quest for a full gallon of the mix, and get going on the rest of the body. I'm getting anxious to finish it up but keep telling myself, slow, slow, be patient.  I don't want any runs on this first ever spray paint job!
46 CJ2A 68553
86 CJ7 (restored & sold)
15 JKU
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2017 at 5:24am
Looking great, ya painting is no time to rush.
Keep up the good work
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2017 at 3:52am
You're not going to paint before you drill holes for your driver's seat frame, right?  (Just trying to help here.  If you have the holes already, forget I said anything.)
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Kossak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kossak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2017 at 11:45pm
I got my gallon of paint after a bit of tweaking the original 1/2 pint sample, and began in earnest in my makeshift paint booth. The April temps outside were just right as I did this job with the garage door open.  Spent the next 3 weeks or so laying down the Pasture Green, on the body and all the parts and pieces. At some point during the process I said enough is enough! and had to settle with my very first attempt at auto painting. I'm happy with the way it turned out and as we all know, you soon forget where all the little mistakes are. Now assembly...

grille:

All those parts and pieces...

Edited by Kossak - 02 Nov. 2017 at 11:12pm
46 CJ2A 68553
86 CJ7 (restored & sold)
15 JKU
bverboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bverboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2017 at 11:56pm
ImpressiveThumbs Up
Kossak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kossak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2017 at 12:07am
So with my single stage paint good and dry, I started with all the boxes of parts. The welting went on pretty easy, and no need for the welting tool. just more perseverance.

Wow the lights work!  I used amber bulbs in the bullets for safety around this town... I spent a lot of time recreating a wiring harness through research and was just dying to try it out. Seems all the grounds worked out too. I added a few here and there to make sure there was always a good connection.

46 CJ2A 68553
86 CJ7 (restored & sold)
15 JKU
Kossak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kossak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2017 at 12:19am
I got all the mechanicals tied up, and the wiring harness properly tucked away in the rails etc. Next was to get the body bolted down.  I got my whole family on each corner of the tub and we all lifted it to the back of the frame.  Getting close now:

46 CJ2A 68553
86 CJ7 (restored & sold)
15 JKU
Kossak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kossak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2017 at 12:47am
After a whole bunch of back and forth with this repop body I finally got it locked down.  After a lot of reading I learned that later repop tubs were much more accurate and had modifications made closer to originals. In the end, nothing a hammer and saw couldn't fix!

Fenders were a bit of a chore to line up between the tub and the grille.  I had a duh moment and realized you need to loosen the tub hold down bolts to give yourself some wiggle room!

Edited by Kossak - 02 Nov. 2017 at 11:15pm
46 CJ2A 68553
86 CJ7 (restored & sold)
15 JKU
BryanB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BryanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2017 at 1:42am
Looks great!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>