Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - '48 Willys Jeep....(aka The Lockjaw Express)....
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'48 Willys Jeep....(aka The Lockjaw Express)....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El Mariachi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2016 at 4:23am
Made a little progress in the last couple days-----found most of the magic numbers on various parts of the truck (turns out that at least since '81, the Cali DMV was using just five of the six engine serial numbers as the 'VIN' number, which was almost entirely obliterated). But with a flash light, some very fine bronze wool, a bit of silicone spray and a magnifying glass, I can now read the true serial number----it's actually 194338, and not 22882. Which is the engine serial number above the water pump, (228852 actually). Body number is 202718 and the tailgate number is 202710. No tub number, and the frame rail tag is long gone. But it's a start.

After marinating the cylinders for a few days with a magic potion, we dropped a new size 26 cheapo Walmart battery in her and after find the keys we bumped the engine around about ten times during the course of the day. That's when we got half way excited and thought we'd get some fuel in her (after an oil change with a Seafoam backer---love that stuff....1 ounce per quart of oil is all it takes. I do this on all my old 4x4's a couple hundred miles before an oil change, and I like the results.

Anyways turns out the fuel tank had a couple pin holes in the bottom, and that the rubber fuel line to the fuel pump was shot. Long story short I did a temporary Baja fix to that, pulled the seats and the tank, rigged up a two gallon gas can to the fuel out line, made a quick rubber gasket for the clear fuel bowl......and eventually got her started. Which was fun, but then I reminded myself that I had to disco the e-brake from the drum (as it was frozen stuck on BRAKE at the drum), re-connect the rear d/shaft, get the t-case to shift through all three spots, remove the completely frickin froze water pump and belt and add some air to the tires. BUT.......she shifted smoothly in all gears afterwards, managed to go forward far enough to get off the rear of the tarp we had put on the ground....then backwards far enough to pull the tarp completely out. Long story short, we're into this so far for less than $62.00 right now....but she does run and move.....and sounds decent...so that's a plus. So we're gonna take a little break on her until we get the new water pump, new m/ cylinder (brake pedal won't budge at all), flush the block and radiator a few times, add distilled water and anti-freeze, patch the fuel tank and figure out some sort of temporary seating arrangement while we sort out the rusty floors and channels. But as of today, I'm pretty stoked.....

El Mariachi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El Mariachi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2016 at 5:00am
Here's a couple of ridiculously stupid vids that my future son-in-law filmed.....in case any of ya care.

(caution, we all cuss like sailors....mostly because we are. Parental discretion is advised)..... Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VjIoUrvmIM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrjKYPM0zlY
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2016 at 7:06am

Edited by russnj - 20 Oct. 2016 at 2:49am
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2016 at 2:33am
Seems like I heard someone in the vid say rust bucket??? I'd post some pics of my Mi.48cj2a's floor but now I'd be too embarrassed. I agree with the other posts though to a decent welder sheet metal worker it's a piece of cake May do some bartering for glass work. great jeep! Wadoyado

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El Mariachi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2016 at 1:12am
Quick (and late) update;

New cheap aluminum 4 core radiator (original one was dts).
New single cylinder master cylinder.
New Pertronix breakerless unit in existing Predtolite dizzy.
New plugs, plug wires, rotor & condensor.
New tires.
New battery.
New brake light.
New battery scissors style cut off switch.
Full lube, three oil and filter changes, new Royal Purple in t/c & tranny, seven day coolant flush, Seafoamed carb.
Clutch pedal adjustment, new brake fluid flush and bled, new wooden hood stops for windshield, all dash gauges either de-wired or removed, driver's side mirror fixed, new coolant recovery tank installed, seats re-bolted (almost) properly, new small 52mm motorcycle air filter installed (oil bath filter removed), new radiator hoses, dead e-brake cable removed, slight carb adjustment and some squeaks fixed.

BUT.....the most important thing we did was finally un-sticking the dizzy today----after three weeks of trying everything short of Tannerite. Holy crapoly what a pain. Had to actually retard the timing by ear around six degrees, and now? She runs like that proverbial ape with stripes on it's butt. Which is all I really wanted to get to. Next is brakes and axle fluids and the e-brake and blah blah blah.....But she's actually coming along.....which is a good thing.....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El Mariachi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2016 at 11:54pm
First official taco run the other day. Plus a little spin around San Pedro. Baby purrs now....

Edited by El Mariachi - 25 Oct. 2016 at 12:22am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El Mariachi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2016 at 12:42am

Dmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2016 at 12:59am
Very Nice! Thx for posting.
43 Ford GPW "AWOL"
48-52 CJ Series Bubba Jeep
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2016 at 3:43am
Outstanding! Love your jeep and love your jeep's name!

Edited by smfulle - 25 Oct. 2016 at 3:52pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El Mariachi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2016 at 4:28am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El Mariachi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2016 at 4:43am

a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2016 at 5:09am
Glad to see you are already driving the jeep, much faster than my time line. Jeep looks great and so does the food. If you make it towards Seal Beach  let me know, grab a taco and beer.
Phil

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El Mariachi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2016 at 5:14am
You betcha....maybe at the River's End on a warm day? It's one of my favorites down there......
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2016 at 4:33pm
Sent you a PM
Phil

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El Mariachi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2016 at 7:00pm
Just got it. And gimme a minute on the doors......Cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El Mariachi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2016 at 4:30am
Got some more stuff since we dragged her over to the shop three weeks ago. In no particular order;

New Monroe shocks, front lower shock mounts, an almost brand new set of four Rancho leaf springs and bushings (gracias, Phil...!) and all Zerks, nuts, bolts and pins cleaned and lubed.

Carter WO carb completely rebuilt, and one errant vacuum leak fixed.

New/old repurposed front seat 'cushions' installed (from my two office chairs-----pics to follow).

Two new seat belts installed.

Old amp gauge replaced with new volt meter.

Second brake light installed (on top of roll bar-----y'all gonna LOVE this one).

Cut and 'installed' some carpet in the bed and around the seats. Plus a couple of carpet floor mats in the foot wells. The noise level has dropped considerably since that cheap move. best half hour investment we've done on this olde gal.

Spent literally an entire day just cleaning up/cleaning out the front brake system, wire wheel brushing everything, lubing parts where applicable and installing new wheel cylinders----which had been frozen for decades now. Girl should almost be able to stop on a quarter now.

Did a semi-quicky clean & lube job on the front hubs. They turn and operate a lot smoother now.

Bought a 52 mm motorcycle air filter. It's small but it works, and let's us s-can the oil bath system Just trying to find a proper PCV to tie into the engine x intake tube/hose. 

Found a Rubbermaid plastic trash can lid-----and instantly decided to fab up a Bubba fan shroud. Which actually works...to the tune where it literally  bought us at least five degrees the first time we tried her out on a 91 degree day. Pics to follow on this cheapo project...and laughter is encouraged.

Had the royally bent front drive shaft re-tubed and painted.

Dropped the tranny & t-case and all the crap that comes with this project. Waiting for parts now----(damn holidaze).

Started on the rear brakes yesterday-----sadly though I got about a half hour into it when I realized the drums weren't gonna come off no matter how much I yelled. Oh well, time to find the hub puller form hell.

Found a new fire extinguisher and a bracket. It's now resting on the roll bar, behind the driver's seat. Also bought a hundred feet of cheap 1/8" line and wrapped the steering wheel....'cuz I couldn't for the life of me find a decent 20" diameter wheel cover. Sigh......

Anyways I may have missed a few things, but basically we're making progress----just need the misc. crap for the trans and t-case, some e-brake shoes, some return springs, copper crush washers, shifter boots, a carb throttle/choke lever, some paint, gear oil, front brake hoses....blah blah blah...y'all know how it goes.

Anyways, Happy Thanksgiving, Folks......Cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El Mariachi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2016 at 5:37am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El Mariachi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2016 at 5:54am

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>