Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A little project update on Chug A Lug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 141>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2017 at 7:22am
At least you got something done on your jeep today. I just walked by mine to listen to the neighbor miss adjust the valves on his FJ40. I just sat and watched the show as he and is father went at it. At least I had 5 dogs to scratch for the show.
A decent day.
uncamonkey
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2017 at 2:01am
So I am dirt tired so I guess I might as well do a update.

WE ARE ON OUR AXLES YEAH!

I Had the grand daughters help me by moving a couple of supports while I held the frame up. And then I managed to get the springs on to the Spring hangers and Shackles. Then after some wiggling around I managed to get the paper labels scratched off the springs and the goo WD-40'ed.

I was not happy to see how much play is in the Center Pin to Spring Perch I guess I will either have to make a little collar to tighten it up or something. I don't think just tightening the U-Bolts with the axle in place would keep it from moving if I hit a nasty pothole or something on the trail.

Tomorrow night I'll go after that and get the wife to help me take real good Axle to Axle measurements to make sure its parallel to the rear. And then make little spacing collars to locate the axle properly. Then I can bolt up my U-Bolt Plate Assemblies and put shocks on and maybe even some steering stuff.

I guess I should take my 45 year old 8.45 x 15"'s down to the tire shop and have them make sure the tubes will hold air so I can make the Chassis a Roller. 
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2017 at 2:08am
OH I also figured out how I am going to brace my Box extension since I have no draw bar. My rear cross member which is Rectangular tubing. Is held on to the 4) L brackets that are part of the Receiver Assembly with 4) 3/8" Button Head bolts. I figure I will make a little channel shaped bracket that will attach to the outer pair of bolts and hang down a bit below the Rear Cross Member to get a decent angle. And the use that bracket to hold one end of a strut that has Rod ends on both ends. Much like the Strut I made to Support the Steering box. That way I can either use Bolts and Lock nuts or even just a couple of Pins and Hairpin clips to hold the struts in place.

My box extension for camping gear will only be 15" long so it won't need to big of braces. Its only going to carry camping gear and maybe a couple water jugs.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2017 at 3:25am
Yea finally I get a notice that US Wheel is shipping out the one Series 68 Wheel I ordered from Summit to make absolutely sure it will work with my 11" brakes before I order 9) more (going to have a full set of on road Winter Tires and a Set of Off Road tires.

Now to come up with the $496.00 the rest of them will cost. Thinking I will put the Tires and mounting/balancing on my Local Tire shop account that way I have their excellent warranty and they are less then 5 blocks from my house.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2017 at 2:03am
Well crap Turns out the U-Bolts I bought from NAPA will not work. The threads do not come up the shanks far enough. AND the threads are rolled not cut so running a die up the (as I now see) undersized rod is of no use and the threads are barely 40% of what they should be.

I guess I stop by the Drive Line Suspension shop we deal with at work (SIX STATES) and see if they can fab up a set of them. If not they are cheap to order on line exactly what I need. But of course that sets my time line back at least a Week-10 days if not more.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2017 at 4:24am
So last night I found a place on line in PA that had what appears to be exactly the U-Bolts I need even the correct length. The prices were less then the local shop would have charged and the shipping was a surprising $8.80 flat rate. SO I hit the purchase button and figured I would see them in a couple weeks if I was lucky.

I was at work today and I get an email they are already on their way!!! Color me surprised.

Stengel Bros. Inc.

They even had the 2 7/8" wide one to go over the Dana 25 housing on the right side. None of the 3 other places on line I checked offered that width.

I'll report on what I think of them when they show up
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2017 at 5:20am
OK so today I worked on finishing up my fancy Alternator Bracket and getting the Alternator as well aligned as possible. I still have to get a couple Stainless Steel Bolts to finish up. And I have to add some threads to the Big Pivot Bolt at the bottom. I was going to go to a Stainless Bolt but after measuring a few of them they were slightly undersized when compared to the Grade 8 thats in there now and since wobbling around is not so good for the alignment I'll do something else to fancy up the Bolt.

Anyway heres a bunch of photos to show off the Alt bracket.

In this one you see the chrome fan disc I put on behind the Speedway aluminum 5/8" wide pulley not sure if I mentioned but the Disc improves the fan ability to pull air through the alternator.

So I thought it was time for a Right Side View Photo of the whole engine.

And a nice front view ( I did a bunch of editing to clean up the background on this one as it looked to messy)

The chrome fan disc makes it look like dual belts LOL

And I also finished up the Oil Filter Bracket. I made one of the more complicated pices I have ever made on my crappy milling machine to create the brace at the bottom. I used a fly cutter to create a curve that matches the outer diameter of the 1704 Oil filter in a L Bracket shaped piece that then is attached to one of the Oil Pan bolts with a little 1/4" thick spacer to get up over the lip of the Pan.  A Stainless Steel Hose clamp cut down to just fit and the worm drive screw hides behind the Filter but still easy to get to. AND MAN IS THE WHOLE THING STABLE NOW!!! nothing like a tripod to support something.

This bottom view shows the little brace. Its in such a tight area that its about Impossible to get a good photo of the L bracket.

You can just barely see the hose clamp screw in this photo

Braided steel hoses I need to figure out a couple little brackets so they can't rub on anything as they travel over the Timing cover.

I was able to buy premade hoses from Summit racing that were just the right length of course they both have to have adapters to go from NPT to -AN fittings but it all works. Hopefully it all won't leak when the time comes.

I am very happy with the way the Oil Filter Bracket came out. It uses existing bolt holes it appears that it will clear everything. And it should make doing oil changes pretty easy. And the BIG plus is the extra Quart of Oil it will add to the system since it dose not drain when you shut of the engine. I can still have 5 quarts in the pan and not have the oil level to high on start up. The hoses end up real close to the same length if not a little shorter. And while the Filters are not real common 4-5 manufacturers make them and I am going to buy a case of them just in case. I will still buy one each time I do an oil change so I always have a stock pile.

A note NAPA has a quarterly oil filter sale and I had them order me 10) of the 1704's I'm good to go for the next 30K LOL

OH I also got a notice that the back ordered Spark Plug indexing washers and my super bright Tail light bulbs have shipped.

Getting quite a pile of parts stacked up around here.

Edited by Mark W. - 28 Nov. 2017 at 12:21am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2017 at 5:52am
Oh and I made a decision on the wheels

US WHEEL Series 68  Going with a 15" X 6" 3.5" BS So they will behave like the stock wheels same backspacing. Then I am going to run a 29" tall tire 235/75R-15's one set Winter Highway the other nasty Off road.

They will be painted Jet Black (since I have way more Jet Black then I will need for the Floor etc.
At the proper diameter for a stock pin stripe they will have a 1/4" wide Orange pin stripe to match the Seat piping and the pin stripe I will have at the bottom edge of the hard top.

The Acorn style Lug Nuts will be chrome

And I will use Gorilla Chrome Center Caps (they are the lowest I could find that would fit at 3") in the back..................

And the open style in the front 

I think they will look pretty sharp all dressed up.

OH and the Spare tire is going to have a MOON EYES Full MOON cover with CHUG-A-LUG and Silverton, Oregon Painted around the outer edge. And a Moonshine Jug in the Middle.             

Edited by Mark W. - 23 Apr. 2017 at 5:56am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2017 at 7:16pm
I can't wait to see this. I'm stoked!
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2017 at 12:35am
WOW the special U-Bolts I ordered on the 21st showed up today on the 24th. talk about service.

They look excellent and even came with the proper hardened washers and long nuts.

on another note I made another dodad I wasn't able to find anywhere.

I wanted a Push Pull switch to control my electric fan. I wanted it to be an ON-ON-OFF switch so that when pushed in to the dash the fan would operate automatically with the thermostatic control. When pulled out to the first position the Fan would come on Manually no matter what the Thermostat said. And finally on the second position I wanted the fan to turn OFF and stay off no matter what the Thermostat told it (for things like water crossings)

Well no one no where on the internet makes such a switch they are all reversed to my needs

OFF-ON-ON

so I got thinking about how I could make my own switch. Then I got to thinking how could I modify a switch to operate backwards.

This is what I can up with.

In the top photo the Pollack Marine OFF-ON-ON switch is in the Off position while the Knob is pulled all the way out. I did this by as you can see mounting the switch backwards in a block of Micrata and adding a new stem that passes over the switch and then a link that screws on the switch in place of a knob and on the other end connects to my new stem (made from 1/4"D Brass rod) and held in place by a couple of 10-32 Brass nuts.

The knob I am using is very close in size and appearance to a stock Willys light switch knob. I had to gently round the very edge of it as they come with an almost knife sharp edge on them. I bought a whole bag of them to use on all the switches that will be in my Jeep. I am looking for someone that can engrave them so I can fill the engraving with White Lacquer stick paint so they look stock.   I got the knobs from MSC a big industrial supplier in NY NY

In the middle photo it shows how the original long stem on the Pollack Switch passes trough the block and is held in place just like it normally would with a trim nut.

And the bottom view shows the Switch in Automatic ON mode. I used a brass 1/8NPT coupler I had and threaded then Epoxied it into the block creating a new Housing for the Switch assembly that will pass through the dash and hold it in place just like a normal switch.

In operation it feels almost like the original switch maybe a little stiffer to open and close but thats good as it is better to be new tight then new loose.

Anyway thats my fancy dodad for this last weekend.

OH hot damn I just got a notice that my Wheel is on the truck for delivery today

Edited by Mark W. - 28 Nov. 2017 at 12:24am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2017 at 4:25am
OK so a report on the US WHEEL series 68 that showed up a couple hours ago.

The all important backspacing is the same as a stock 15" KH wheel at 3.5" even though its a 6" wheel

There is a flat ribbon type weld that runs across the outer rim that I am not so happy with. But I guess I'll live with it as grinding it out and repriming the wheel would be a PITA.

AND YES IT WILL CLEAR MY 11" BRAKES Yea,

Now to buy either 9 more if I decide to have a matching spare for both sets of tires and wheels or 7 more and I use a tire from the idle set as a spare. As they are a current item I guess I can always change my mind later if I only buy 7.

I might have to change my mind about the rear center caps as even a 3" will stick out past the wheel But then the fronts stick way out so I guess thats no big deal.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2017 at 5:54pm
Very impressive, I bought something inexpensive stainless center caps for my Cherokee from summit. Could you cut down stainless ones, tig them back together and re polish them. Just a thought, great work.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2017 at 6:43pm
Possibly they are very thin.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2017 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by leecarr leecarr wrote:

Could you cut down stainless ones, tig them back together and re polish them. Just a thought, great work.
That may sound good but I'm afraid "distortion" would be a problem especially thin stainless. You might get away with 4-6 fuse tacks evenly spaced. Stainless has the worst heat conductivity of most engineering metals, which makes it difficult to weld. Just my 2cents. Really like your stainless hardware among other things. Joe Wadoyado
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2017 at 1:31am
Actually I just measured and the 3" tall cap will just be below the edge of the Wheel and with the Tire nearly 1 1/2" wider on each side then the wheel it will end up set back plenty.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2017 at 9:17pm
First time you hit a rock it won't stick out anymore, that's why you're smart to have 2 sets.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2017 at 3:46am
So the Willys gods must really be interested in seeing Chug back on the road.
At work (driving construction dump truck) we get a $1250.00 annual bonus for safety and variuos other aspects of our job. Last year through a failure of my new CB radio (I was being spotted while backing up on a work site by another driver and his warning I was about to hit the safety guys private pickup with my trailer never came across the radio. New bed on two year old Tacoma $5600.00
So needless to say I was sure the drivers bonus was all gone!
Thrusday while heading home from work I get a text from the wife with the amount of my paycheck deposit. Its like twice what it should be.

Only answer the boss still gave me if not all the bonus at least the majority of it. Exactly what happened I'll find out when we get home and I can look at my stub which comes in the mail(we are away from home this weekend for the wifes birthday)
So to cut to the chase looks like a windfall of $900 in Willys money. I got so excited I placed a order with Summit Racing for the heater I want and some more fancy plumbing stuff.

y
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2017 at 9:03pm
Be careful they may want it back with interest.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 141>