Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Autolite Horn #HA-4037

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Autolite Horn #HA-4037
    Posted: 09 Aug. 2016 at 6:07pm
Good morning guys. 

I am currently in the process of a minor reimage of #69376. I have owned it for about 12 years now, but hadn't really spent much time looking it over in closely. The odometer shows 81,000 miles and as I go through it I'm noticing that it seems to be very original and authentic. I'm not doing a frame off just yet, only a refresher. That being said, I got to the horn to rewire the original wiring which is frayed and I wanted to repaint. I looked at the 'Parts Paint List' on our site and noticed the horn and bracket are supposed to be black. Much to my surprise, there only appeared to be surface rust as I lightly sanded the finish. I hit bare metal soon after starting and never uncovered any black finish at all.
I'm not trying to stir anything up or cast doubt on anybody else's assessment, only to report what I found and maybe consider updating the paint color to reflect this discovery. I have included a series of photos I took yesterday and I hope you find them a compelling argument. These photos show the horn as installed, still connected to the original braided wire.
This photo shows the surface rust.

This photo shows the Autolite part number-HA-4037.

Here is one of the bracket as taken off the fender.

I sprayed the right side of the horn and did a visual comparison of the finish and much to my surprise, it was dead on.

Here is the paint I used (I had bought this a while ago for something else).

Here is a photo of the finished horn.

And the finished bracket.

I am interested in what others have to say. Thanks for taking the time and feel free to offer an opinion or question.

Tim

Edited by timcj2a - 09 Aug. 2016 at 6:09pm
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

Post Reply Post Reply