Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Automatic transmission

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2017 at 10:04pm
For my own I would like to keep the 134, like rocnroll said an adapter for c3/c4 - d18 is available. If that tranny could be adapted to the 134 it could possibly be easier and less expensive for someone else down the road.
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2017 at 12:41am
Originally posted by leecarr leecarr wrote:

For my own I would like to keep the 134, like rocnroll said an adapter for c3/c4 - d18 is available. If that tranny could be adapted to the 134 it could possibly be easier and less expensive for someone else down the road.

The adapter is available from AA, $675 I believe was the price. IMO what would make this cool is running the 134, the tc may have to be set back (IDK) to allow for a longer trans. I wouldn't think adapting the engine/trans to be a major hurdle, just requires some creativity

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2017 at 1:50am
It can be put in the stock location.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2017 at 3:28am
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

It can be put in the stock location.

Depending on how one adapts the engine to the trans. How long is a C4 with the adapter to the tc ?.

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2017 at 4:58am
I mounted my Pinto/C4/Dana 18 to the stock cross member location best I remember.

I would have to measure the adapter on Frankie.....its the same C4 adapter so the thickness would be the same on both.AA probably gives the adapter thickness. (The adapter replaces the C4 tailshaft)

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2017 at 1:52pm

I mounted my Pinto/C4/Dana 18 to the stock cross member location best I remember.

I would have to measure the adapter on Frankie.....its the same C4 adapter so the thickness would be the same on both.AA probably gives the adapter thickness. (The adapter replaces the C4 tailshaft)

Measure the adapter when you get a chance. I realize you left the tc in the stock spot, but you also were fitting a different engine and mounting system, in this case if more room is needed due to trans & adapter length it would be easier to move the rear crossmember back a few inches than re-engineer the engine mounts IMO. It's 16 3/4" from the face of the bellhsg to where the tailshaft bolts to the trans case on a C4. I'll measure a t90 & bell for compairison.

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2017 at 2:58pm
C4- 16 3/4"
T90/bellhsg-15"

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2017 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

C4- 16 3/4"
T90/bellhsg-15"

Lee

I remember moving the radiator forward so that means the Pinto is longer than the L134, so it still should work with the stock motor mounts shifting tranny cross member one way or the other (would suggest the 3A type mount) an inch or so either way.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2017 at 5:12pm

Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

C4- 16 3/4"
T90/bellhsg-15"

Lee

I remember moving the radiator forward so that means the Pinto is longer than the L134, so it still should work with the stock motor mounts shifting tranny cross member one way or the other (would suggest the 3A type mount) an inch or so either way.

Yes, a little jockeying and it will work, the 3A type would be the way to go. I do not believe the package would be any longer than a T98 setup.

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2017 at 7:47pm
My "old man" jeep solution is a cj6 frame with a 3b tub. The extra space should allow me a 700r4 solution.   Now if I can get it built before I am overcome by events.......................
Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123