Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

bad Crankshaft

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronAge52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bad Crankshaft
    Posted: 15 Mar. 2017 at 1:23am
Hi guys,
I have started putting together another Willy's L-head engine together. So far I have gone thru 5 crank shafts some F-head some L- head and one gear drive Ford. My Crankshaft grinder says they all have cracks.   I am beginning to wonder if all Willy's Cranks have cracks?.  I am thinking of going ahead and using one. their are only so many Crankshafts I can find in my town.
Any comments?
Thanks,  Jerry in San Diego

gearwrencher
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2017 at 3:18am
I brought 4 nice looking ones in a few years back, 2 were cracked, one was turned .070 and was junk, one was repaired, so 1 of 4. Took three in last July and one was repairable. Cranks and blocks are drying up!.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2017 at 4:30am
Don't forget guys most (if not all) cranks are steel castings not cast iron and can be welded like any other tool steel. The camshafts too for that matter. My 47's crank is .060 under so I'll be checking local machine shops about welding when the time comes. Joe W
IronAge52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronAge52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2017 at 4:39am
Thanks Lee  for your comments . I did not think Crankshafts are repairable. where did you take them?

The ford block I have  looks very good with fresh pistons great cam etc. but with bad external freeze cracks. I am thinking of seeing if i can get it welded as well.
gearwrencher
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2017 at 4:49am
I got a NOS crank a few years back, pricey but brand new, sure if there available way down here there must be some around in the US?.

It came in a WO wooden crate, cosmoline all over the place.

My original was badly cracked as well.

Don't forget Mahindra Indian Jeeps as a donor. The F134s will also work.

As much as you might rubbish it there's a good chance that your crankshaft in your current vehicle is made there.

I did contact a company, Steyer, I think and asked about them making me a new crank, no problem at all they said, but minimum order was 50.

I thought having 49 spare crankshafts was a bit of an overkill
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2017 at 7:42am
Just checked, crankshaft manufacturer is "STYR", Google it and your be amazed who they manufacture crankshafts for, all x India.

I was working on a late model Mack Truck recently, cast into the front axle was "Made in India.

The quality is excellent, recently heard of a guy here who could not get the diff ring and pinion he wanted for a Fiat Abarth Historic race car.

He had two sets made in India and sold one to recover the cost of the one he needed, again top quality workmanship.

Adrian
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2017 at 6:40pm
Crankshafts and connecting rods were forged.
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2017 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by wadoyado wadoyado wrote:

Don't forget guys most (if not all) cranks are steel castings not cast iron and can be welded like any other tool steel. The camshafts too for that matter. My 47's crank is .060 under so I'll be checking local machine shops about welding when the time comes. Joe W

Yes I am aware of that, the last two I had repaired had the rear seal area sprayed as well as one journal. Where I take mine for grinding they will spray weld one journal or rear seal area for no additional cost, after that I believe it's $30-40 a journal, if you need several done it becomes very costly. If they are cracked they are not repairable at least where I go, and as I said most are cracked.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2017 at 3:42am
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

Crankshafts and connecting rods were forged.
   The difference between cast iron and cast steel is carbon content of the metal which determines how easy it is to weld, forging is a metal working process to align the grain structure. I remember going thru the John Deere foundry in Moline, Il. and they still used steam to drop forge the castings. Joe W                                                     
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2017 at 4:06am
Lee MN, I was mainly referring to Tig weld repair of the cracks then journal build up either spray or manual Tig. Yeah I know it's labor intensive and can be expensive, I know a lot of people might scrap a crank not knowing they had the option. Thanks Joe
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2017 at 5:32pm
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2017 at 11:22pm
The ingot, first in the pic's at some point was liquid then "cast" into the ingot shown, then forged. Steel is below 1.75% carbon content, cast iron 2-4% range, this is what matters in weldability, I probably should have said cranks are steel forgings to be more clear but there are cranks that are just cast then machined. Look at the camshaft is it cast iron? or cast steel? Can't tell by just looking. That's was my point about cranks- steel not cast iron. Joe W
 Post Reply Post Reply