Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Tech Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best way to add floor support

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best way to add floor support
    Posted: 09 Nov. 2016 at 3:20am
I'm considering replacing the floor with one of those MD Juan replacements. Like most I see, mine has sagged between the supports. If I go to the expense and effort to replace it with one like the original, I would hate to have it sag again. The PO had installed a heavier, but flat metal over the top of the factory floor. So I had planned to cut out the old rusty hole filled saggy floor with the heavier one, which is basically free. My uses will be camping so will be standing/walking weight, some firewood hauling, etc, but I will be careful not to be dropping stuff in and abusing it. What are the suggested methods to prevent future floor sag? Running more angle iron side to side? Front to rear? Hat channel side to side front to back? How many more? Looking for suggestions since no matter what, I'm pulling the tub off the frame and will be welding either the heavier flat floor I already have or the MD Juan one, so work effort will be pretty much the same.
chris insull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris insull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2016 at 3:31pm
My replacement floor is supported fore and aft with bracing between the cross members. I was/ am not too concerned about originality for resale. Additionally, I cut a piece of plywood to fit the floor which also helps distribute the load(s).

Edited by chris insull - 09 Nov. 2016 at 3:34pm
1971 CJ-5
1946 T3-C S/N 30319
194? T3-C ACM 154291 (SOLD)
1967 Stevens M-416 (SOLD)
BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2016 at 2:07am
The MDJ flooring MAY have the same stamping/pattern but not sure that is a benefit for a camper/woods trailer, and I’m betting it is thin sheetmetal. I have not stuck to original materials either and have been happy with 11ga diamond plate. If I drop a good chunk of wood on the floor if doesn’t get banged up or dented and is stiff enough that the existing support has been plenty where I have used it so far. The diamonds help keep things from sliding around so much too.
    1945 CJ2a 11495
 Post Reply Post Reply