Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Better seat Cushions.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Better seat Cushions.
    Posted: 01 Apr. 2017 at 1:11am
Hey everyone. After 70,000 miles my seats are trashed. I've decided to recover them with Curdura. I need something that works better than standard foam or springs. Has anyone used a foam that holds up well but can be somewhat original looking.
1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2017 at 2:07am
Supposedly Beachwood sells foam seat cushions covered in canvas that will last really long compared to originals. I just bought some so we will see. I love the picture of the jeep with Toyota prius in the background, to each their own but the jeep is a million times cooler.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2017 at 2:22am
Mike,

Great looking Jeep!

I have tired several things over the years:

Old spring and horse hair.
Repro MB Cushions with soft foam.
Surplus hummer cushions - medium to soft foam
Beachwood's foam cushions - hard foam.

What I am trying next is Walcks new springs with horse hair pads.

The hands down worst were the MB Cushions - some sort of soft foam.  
Second worst is a tie between the old shot springs and the Hummer surplus cushions.  But the Hummer surplus cushions are better than the MB foam cushions.  
The Beachwood cushions are stiff foam.  - actually too stiff for my liking. 
New springs from Walcks are still in the box - I have to sew some cushion covers and cut some horse hair pads.

If you go on the web there are companies who will cut you foams of different densities.  You might want to check out on of those outfits.

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2017 at 4:36am
Have a look at "14605" on your Jeep project, I made my own deeper seat pans and used a combination of foams, dense stuff for the bottom layer and a lighter foam for the top, by doing it this way I ended up with about 5" of padding and its very comfortable but looks quite stock.

There's a link on seat mods here somewhere and there is some extra photos.

I am very happy with the end result
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
Mike Gardner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2017 at 2:43pm
Awesome feedback guys. My CJ is a daily driver and wheeler so I need something I can abuse.

Adrian, I'll check that out.

Stev, thanks! Sounds like you've been doing some great testing. Lol

I looked over Beachwood and a few other canvis sites. I do like the idea of making my own foam. It gets a new motor next week so I need to get off my arse and move it.
1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2017 at 2:46pm
My neighbors don't exactly like me and my jeep collection. It's normally 4 Jeeps. CJ, YJ, TJ, company JK and sometimes two company JK's. Lol

1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2017 at 4:19pm
Nice picture,it's amazing how small the cj2a is. I bought my seat covers from Willysacres ,they got them from Olcloth.com.My seat were from a m38 so I bought m38 covers,really nice material " canvas " I also went with 5" foam. I used 3" firm and 2" soft on top.I 'm lucky my brother has its own mattress shop,so he give me some leftover that he had. It's really good quality foam. I hope I will be able to try my new seats this summer ,my project is coming along real good.Mike you have some really nice jeeps,your neighbor is probably just jealous I know I would be.    

Giles
JohnB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2017 at 5:04pm
Has anyone tried the glue up of shredded foam padding for carpeting? Glue up layers to the thickness desired and trim sides to shape? I'll be making some cushions for my rear seat bottom and back and planned to try that this summer.
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2017 at 6:36pm
Check the motorcycle seat rebuilding.   They have ideas on sculpting and layering different kinds of foam.
Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2017 at 1:14am
Originally posted by Mike Gardner Mike Gardner wrote:

I've decided to recover them with Curdura.

Make sure your fabric is protected from the sun's UV.  It's probably not as critical at your altitude as it is here at 6,000 ft. but it's still going to be an issue eventually.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
pjensen641 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjensen641 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2017 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by JohnB JohnB wrote:

Has anyone tried the glue up of shredded foam padding for carpeting? Glue up layers to the thickness desired and trim sides to shape? I'll be making some cushions for my rear seat bottom and back and planned to try that this summer.

That would be my suggestion.  Nearly all foam available at a craft store is gong to be uselessly soft.  Carpet pad is meant to be walked on for years.  Layer it up with 3M spray adhesive.  Then shape it with an angle grinder with wire wheel to give it a slight dish, then cover with 1/2" or so of a slightly softer memory foam.

I've built a motorcycle seat like this and it worked pretty decent.
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2017 at 7:09pm
I know Oregon Aero has some awesome high density foam for seats and other applications in aviation - might be useful to us here...
Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2017 at 7:37pm
Awesome stuff guys. This is why I need to get back on this page and be more active. Thanks!

And thanks for the compliments on my Jeeps. It's nice to work in the off road industry. Lol
1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2017 at 8:05pm
I don't think using layers of carpet foam is the best solution.  Carpet foam is just some kind of recycled scrap foam.  It seems like there has to be something better than recycled scrap foam.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2017 at 10:12pm
I'm not 100% on the carpet foam thing. One of the condos in my building just got new carpet. I figured SCORE!!! New free foam free seats. When I looked at the new and old foam it was very stiff. I'm not sure a seat made of that would do the job. I'm looking for Automotive seat foam. Maybe if I can find it I can shape it to fit. My jeep is not a resortored beauty. It's a daily driver and Off-roader. I need a comfortable and durable seat.

The Cordura fabric is the military spec ballistics material and is highly water resistant and UV protected. It's also rip-stop and practically stab proof. This is nice because now I'm using super cheap plastic vinyl that is ripped and falling apart from UV as it doesn't get kept in a garage or under a cover.
1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2017 at 10:25pm
Definitely go with the foam.  If you can find a foam company, they will actually cut the shape you need for each.  Foam can come as dense as you want and as tall as you want.  Then just cover and mount to a plywood base.
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2017 at 1:10am
I love my seat springs that I bought from Walcks. I'm 200 lbs and my butt hasn't hit the seat pan on my desert excursions, but are still comfortable. I have some matting over the springs and then the covers. I don't think you can make the foam thick enough on stock 2a pans to support 200 lbs . Adrian built his own pans, maybe that's the way to go, but I'm very happy with my seats
Phil
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2017 at 9:31pm
Mike, do a search under "Seat Thickness" on my posts, there's the photos you might want to see.

They show the seat pan without the padding, its very clear, another search on "14605" on my Jeep Project will show the finished seat.

Adrian
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>