Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black Hills Run 2017! June 19-23

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 36>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2017 at 8:54pm
Would like to try to make it this year. Several questions.
      Do most folks stay at the iron Horse
      I am running 11.50s on 8 " rims, Too wide?
      Trail rides on what days?    Meeting place?

Thanks

Fltfndr
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2017 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by Fltfndr Fltfndr wrote:

Would like to try to make it this year. Several questions.
      Do most folks stay at the iron Horse
      I am running 11.50s on 8 " rims, Too wide?
      Trail rides on what days?    Meeting place?

Thanks

Fltfndr
Yes, most stay at the Iron Horse. 
Go back and look at all the pictures and videos. You most likely will not make it over the bridge with big wide tires. 
Event is scheduled for Mon-Fri with runs each day. 
Meeting place is 12072  Crook City Road, Whitewood, SD 57793

I'd read the entire thread for info. and where to get your off road Forest Service Permit. If you go back and look at past years Black Hills Meets here in shows and get togethers, you'll find alot more info. 

Come have some fun. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2017 at 7:46pm
Thanks Oilleaker1
       Looks like I will have to stay with CFT, the 11.50s on my 2A are 65 inches wide from outside to outside.  Even if I remove the spacers I am over the limit.  If the limit is 62" the body will fit but not the tires.  So have a great time.

At the risk of highjacking this thread, I do have a tire carrier for sale that bolts to a bracket on the draw bar and to the tailgate brackets up top and utilizes the stock spare tire mount  If anybody has interest PM me

Regards

Fltfndr
Fltfndr
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2017 at 8:08pm

Thanks Oilleaker1
       Looks like I will have to stay with CFT, the 11.50s on my 2A are 65 inches wide from outside to outside.  Even if I remove the spacers I am over the limit.  If the limit is 62" the body will fit but not the tires.  So have a great time.

Or, maybe just don't take your jeep the day we do the "narrows" but catch a ride with someone else that day.  Just a thought.  You don't want to miss an "Oilly party" if there's a chance you can go.
Tom
1949 CJ3A

Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2017 at 8:45pm
I was under the impression that all the trails were restricted to 62 " or less

Fltfndr
Fltfndr
Rick R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2017 at 8:47pm
Just the one day
RWILLYS (Space R)
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2017 at 9:51pm
John, as others said it's one trail, you can certanly find a ride for a day and there are plenty of open seats.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2017 at 9:49am

I was under the impression that all the trails were restricted to 62 " or less

Fltfndr

Sorry for the confusion. It's two days we will be on narrow trails, not one. The other 3,  your Jeep will be fine. If you had the old original 16's that you could bolt on, then you would be fine. Plenty of fellows that come have open seats and are here for fun and the joy of sharing Jeep stories.  Thumbs Up I witnessed one of our members letting a stranger drive his Jeep while he hopped rides with all and took videos.  We sure had fun. My advice mr, Flatfender: do both Jeep runs. You will be addicted to it if you like Jeeps.  

I plan on bringing a chainsaw so we can cut some firewood  LOL, just kidding. We are advised by the Forest Service to be prepared for downfall from the Mountain Pine Beetle killed trees. Blow down etc. They don't drive all the trails everyday. 

So, Thanks for bringing this up. you should come John. I see you are from Iowa. That's where I was born.  Cedar  Rapids.  Iowa stands for:  " I owe The World An Apology" Sorry, couldn't resist.  Oilly
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2017 at 9:15am
You have no idea how much I'd like to be able to join y'all... Just reading the thread I get excited...even with no prospect of coming....

Have fun Big smile
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2017 at 11:16am
Originally posted by JeepSaffer JeepSaffer wrote:

You have no idea how much I'd like to be able to join y'all... Just reading the thread I get excited...even with no prospect of coming....

Have fun Big smile

Thanks for the well wishes. You would fit right in with the rest of us. We could send you home with a heavier suitcase too! Full of extra Jeep parts. Wink
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2017 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by JeepSaffer JeepSaffer wrote:

Have fun Big smile

We always have extra seats so you wouldn't need to ship your jeep from the bottom of the world, just yourself. I'd even let you drive Grampa's, Jeep and I'd ride along to take pictures, as long as  you don't mind sitting in a rusty heap, what with your rig being a beauty queen and all.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2017 at 7:12am
Kind words indeed, thanks John and Stan! What a privilege that would be.... I'll have to save up and plan a trip in the coming years then.

Yes, I have put lots of time and effort into my restoration, and as you said some time back Stan, maybe this is because we Saffers have lots of time while waiting for parts to arrive LOL I fully expect to use my Jeep as much as possible once it is completed - it might be a beauty queen to some, but I don't want it to be a trailer queen as well!

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2017 at 7:37am
So, I am posting a shout out to all members on all the upcoming tour threads, in the hope that I can get some help shifting oversized parts across the country.

I will be in Vancouver, Canada, and surrounding areas (including Banff, and possibly Calgary) from mid-June to early July 2017. This is an opportunity for me to collect a few oversized parts and bring them back to South Africa with me as hand-luggage, which has multiple benefits to me, mostly related to saving the costs of international shipping of bulky items and potential damage of items en route. However I need to get the parts to Vancouver in the first place.

The items I am referring to are 
1. A steering wheel, currently located with a forum member in WI, USA.
2. A set of top bow main bows, currently located with a forum member in NJ, USA

If anyone from Vancouver/Calgary, or Seattle/Portland/Washington State area is attending any of the upcoming tours, and likewise anyone from WI or NJ, I'm hoping it will be possible to coordinate a hand-over these parts and get them ideally to Vancouver, or possibly Seattle or Calgary. I would be greatly indebted.

I have 2 months to hatch a plan, failing which commercial shipping to Vancouver is my next best option.

Please let me know if you are able and willing to assist.

Best,

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2017 at 11:31am
Lee in the past years has been making the Black  Hills Run stickers which are fabulous. I had hats one year, bandanas another, and this year  Carol has a new toy called a cricket. It cuts designs by computor out of paper, vinal, even thin leather. We ordered some exterior bumper sticker material and will attempt to make a bunch of stickers that say: " I Have Miles To Jeep Before I Sleep" A slogan that fits the mind set of this bunch of Jeep Trail Drivers. The fun just doesn't quit. 

Lately I've been noticing that not only did our snow pack melt and go right into the ground, but the stock dams are empty. We are very dry. By July the fire danger is going to be quite high. Bring a vehicle fire extinguisher along if you can. I don't think I've seen anyone smoking, but if you do, keep this in mind. 

Remember to get your off road permits in advance. We will leave each day at 9AM starting Monday the 19th. I'm getting Jeep fever!!!!!!Thumbs Up
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2017 at 1:08am
Oily, got my permit sticker and a couple of maps in the mail.  Now to get some maintenance done on the Blue Mule to get it ready for this auspicious event. 

Crickets????  What is a cricket???
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2017 at 1:56am
Mike said, "What is a cricket???"

Don't you remember, it's a little front-drive imported car with a Plymouth badge on it. Or was the Plymouth a Colt? No, the Dodge version was the Colt.Wacko
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2017 at 11:50am
I never understood why they named it a cricket, but it's  Carol's  new toy for her hobby of card making. It is a machine that cuts designs or objects out of paper, leather, and vinal. It also will hold a felt tipped pen and write in all kinds of script. We bought some outdoor vinal sticker material and are making stickers that say my slogan: " I Have miles To Jeep Before I Sleep"  You can download programs for designs, buy discs with other programs on them, or even design your own things. Then tell the Cricket to cut. Pretty neat. I don't think she moved from the operating center for 3 days after she got it. I'll have to have her make labels with my Jeeps names on them. Wink

I'm glad you got your passport to the new trails Mike. You will enjoy them. Nancy will too! "Tightsteer Alley" which is at the top of the long climb is just amazing. We'll fill the entire gap with Jeeps and take a fantastic picture. Can't wait. 

All of my friends coming have miles to  Jeep before we sleep. Some are almost in Moab with a early start on us. Have fun guys! Oilly
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2017 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

I never understood why they named it a cricket, but it's  Carol's  new toy for her hobby of card making.

John,
In order to understand the name of Carol's new toy, you have spell it correctly. It's actually called a CriCUT. I bought one to help my wife when she was running the kids Sunday school at church. I cut all kind of cool things for her bulletin boards. They are pretty neat, but I haven't spent enough time with it to really do the fancy stuff. I bet Carol is learning how to really make that thing dance. I never thought of making trail ride memorial stickers, but I bet it will work great.

I just put in my order for my trail permit this morning. I'm really looking forward to it!
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 36>