Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BRAKE PUMP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHARLIE JEEP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BRAKE PUMP
    Posted: 26 Feb. 2017 at 2:26am
Hi guys,
sorry if someone already ask about this matter.
Any idea how can I refilled the brake pump with brake liquid without making a mass ?
Tks in advance
CJ-2A #114467 1947        Slat Grill #124991 1942        SPEN trailer 1948              
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2017 at 3:32am
I don't remove the floor access cover at all. I use a long extension, a socket, and a ratchet to remove the master cylinder lid. I have a long plastic funnel that wedges in amongst all the obstacles above the MC, and reaches just to the opening in the MC. (Make sure your funnel is CLEAN! Even a drop of oil in the brake fluid will attack rubber parts) Pour slowly while watching the fluid level in the MC. Remember, the fluid you just poured will take a bit to get to the end of the funnel. I just pour about a teaspoonful at a time.
  When you replace the cap, don't tighten it as though it holds the wheels on - it doesn't.    
  My way - hope it helps.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2017 at 3:34pm
I go through the floor access and use a shot glass to pour it in, and my hands are big.
As Bruce says, just keep it CLEAN!
BOULDER 48 2A
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2017 at 3:55pm
Yeah, I've used a spray paint can cap to fill mine before. Hard to see if you are actually filling it when my arm and hand are in there and I couldn't see where it is going a few times.
The last time I bled my brakes I had a small funnel with a hose attached to it hooked to my hood. I still made a mess.
uncamonkey
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2017 at 8:28pm
I go through the floor and use a long snout funnel. My trick is to NOT pour the fluid from the large bottle. Put a small controllable amount of fluid in a different clean container.

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2017 at 8:40pm
Big smile It looks like, only Colorado people put brake fluid in their jeeps!LOLWink   BW

athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2017 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Big smile It looks like, only Colorado people put brake fluid in their jeeps!LOLWink   BW

How funny. Every response from Colorado.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2017 at 9:19pm
I like it when my brake pedal doesn't go to the floor when I attempt to stop the darn thing. I only have to do it about every 3 years or so.
Hey, Charlie Jeep is from Buenos Aires so not all are CO comments.
They must like to be able to stop their Jeeps there as well.
uncamonkey
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2017 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Thats because y'all have to press so hard to keep from sliding off the steep trails, us in the flat land areas rarely ever have to use our brakes... 

Some jeepers have mounted a remote reservoir on the firewall and drill and tapped the metal master cylinder cap for a hose to make it easier to service their brake fluid. 

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

CHARLIE JEEP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHARLIE JEEP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2017 at 10:39pm
Hi Guys,
tks for your comment ans suggestions.
And yes, in Argentina we also need to stop Jeep, jajajajaja.
A funnel looks like a great solution.
I remove the lid from the floor and use a big clean syringe for refill the MC.
Is the same that I use for add the oil to the fuel, when I use my small chainsaw, jajajaja.
Tks a lot

CJ-2A #114467 1947        Slat Grill #124991 1942        SPEN trailer 1948              
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2017 at 11:24pm
Bruce, the only time I have had to add brake fluid to mine was in Colorado on the FCT. Shocked

Glen
49 CJ3A
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2017 at 12:13am
Originally posted by Red Willy Red Willy wrote:

Bruce, the only time I have had to add brake fluid to mine was in Colorado on the FCT. Shocked

Well it's a darn good thing you had brakes when your sector shaft broke!Ouch      BW

Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2017 at 12:20am
I remove the floor plate and use the plastic long tip to a Turkey baster/squirter. Just pull the rubber bulb off. I also use it for sucking the oil out of the oil filter canister. The real bonus--------take it in the house next and baste your turkey. It adds flavor! LOL
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
 Post Reply Post Reply