Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

brake wire to pressure switch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: brake wire to pressure switch
    Posted: 15 Apr. 2017 at 3:38am
Hello
I wondering if anyone has ever soldered the brake wire to the pressure switch
on the master cylinder? Mine will work and they stop because they aren't getting
a good contact. I wanted to know if I soldered it, will it damage the pressure switch
or it there a better way to make a good connection.
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2017 at 4:13am
Have you thought about soldering on some new bullet connectors and/or getting a new switch? Make sure they mate up tightly before the swap.
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2017 at 5:36am
You can find all of the connectors at your FLAPS. A wire was broken on my Commando. I found the right part, crimped it on and sealed it with some liquid electrical tape for the crimps, Some dielectric grease for the spade plugs. It's been working for many years now.
uncamonkey
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2017 at 11:30am

The problem is that it is a new switch and wires, still they aren't tight enough to keep a good

connection.
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2017 at 12:53pm
If the female connectors on the switch are slotted just unplug the wires and crimp them slightly with a pliers to tighten them up then plug the wires back in. If you crimp them too tight use a thin knife blade to spread them a tiny bit.
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2017 at 3:03pm
I can remember 3 styles of connections for the brake light switch. Screw terminals, bullet plugs and spade connections. They aren't really the same spade connections as you will normally find as there is an extra bump formed into them so they don't slide off. If you look around the auto yards some of the GM cars have the same 2 wire plugs under the hoods.
Bullet plugs look like butt splices but are not the same size. You can crimp them a bit and they will work. Don't forget the dielectric grease.
I've certainly tightened up a few of those female spade plugs before to keep them in place.
uncamonkey
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2017 at 3:18am
Definitely don't forget the dielectric grease.  I skipped it too many times over the years and regretted it too many times.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply