Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Buick V6 into CJ2A, minimal mods...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2016 at 9:09pm
Another great picture. I did see her fly, though. She cruised past the house while I was washing the jeep. She was about a mile south at about 800 feet. I love the sound of radial piston engines. The only sound sweeter than a radial engine, is multiple radial engines. Thumbs Up

That's a hell of a shutter speed to catch the props looking stationary

Edited by LesBerg - 22 Aug. 2016 at 9:11pm
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2016 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by LesBerg LesBerg wrote:

Sweet!

Those are great pics, Rick! Is that a factory fording kit?

The pics are from the 2014 show in Twin Falls, we in the IMVPA were invited to display with the Aircraft during static display. During showtime we had our own lineup on the flightline.  I was thrilled, the B Two Five is my all time favorite.   

Yes the fording kit is orig. Hold my beer and watch this?? I don't think so!!
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2016 at 9:17pm
Les...I had stock size driveshafts on my 48 with the V6 and had no problems.
They do have a very cool sound...:)

Larry

1949 CJ2A "Little Stinky Green" Kubota Diesel Powered
1970 Chevy C20 454 "Big Red"
1971 Chevy K20 6.2 Diesel "Pumpkin Wagon"
2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2016 at 9:19pm
Mix 2 PW radials with a RR Merlin and you've got real music..
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2016 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by RICKG RICKG wrote:

Mix 2 PW radials with a RR Merlin and you've got real music..

Oh yeah....Big smile
Originally posted by Lemield Lemield wrote:

Les...I had stock size driveshafts on my 48 with the V6 and had no problems.
They do have a very cool sound...:)

Good to know, thanks!  How was the fuel line set up from the tank? I have the stock pencil-thin line running from the tank to the pump, and the motor starves for gas over 45mph.

I'm thinking of cobbling parts together to run 3/8 inch line from the tank, but I'd still have the original small-diameter fitting at the tank. I'm concerned that it still won't pull enough fuel through it.

I could plumb into the drain hole, but I'll suck anything on the bottom of the tank into the filter.  Probably not a bad thing all told, but I don't want to plug up the tube with debris...

Originally posted by RICKG RICKG wrote:

Originally posted by LesBerg LesBerg wrote:

Sweet!

Those are great pics, Rick! Is that a factory fording kit?

The pics are from the 2014 show in Twin Falls, we in the IMVPA were invited to display with the Aircraft during static display. During showtime we had our own lineup on the flightline.  I was thrilled, the B Two Five is my all time favorite.   

Yes the fording kit is orig. Hold my beer and watch this?? I don't think so!!

So not this, then?

My favorites have always been the B25 and the P-38. The twin-engine ground attack that wanted to be an A-10 when it grew up.

Edited by LesBerg - 22 Aug. 2016 at 11:03pm
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2016 at 11:10pm
Les, It might be a float adjustment in the carb that is all that is needed. I have had the same problem in the past when I was running a 225 V6 and a float adj. took care of it.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
pjensen641 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjensen641 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2016 at 11:13pm
I'm running the stock driveshaft with my kubota.  It's likely putting out about the same torque as that v6.
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2016 at 11:16pm
Les...as I recall, it was the stock size fuel line on the V6 Jeep....maybe it is something like float level?
I know we did not have an electric fuel pump on it....
Larry

2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2016 at 2:06am
OK. I'll double-check the float setting. I just rebuilt the carb, but I was far less than pleased with the kit I picked up. One of the gaskets didn't fit and it didn't include either of the power valves mine has.
I have a 2GC with a power valve in the bottom of the fuel bowl and another un the bottom of the accelerator pump.  I think I'll pick up another kit from a different source and make another go of it.
I just finished plumbing in a new 3/8 fuel line that connects to the tank drain. If this takes care of the fuel issue, I'll pick up a bulkhead fitting and fab a new fuel pickup for the larger line.
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2016 at 4:31am
If your going to plumb off the drain hole, what I did on one of my jeeps to keep from sucking junk off the bottom of the tank was, slightly drill out the hole of the fitting screwed into the tank and tap a short piece of copper tubing into it to raise to suction level.
The small tube drivelines seem to be a heavier wall tubing than the larger ones.

Glad you made it and got some cool pics.

The v6 looks sweet
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2016 at 4:59am
thanks, Ben. It's been a lot of work, and worth every minute.
I've mostly got the carb sorted out, but I need to replace the advance springs in the distributor before doing any more carb work.  Right now, if I turn the dist clockwise until it contacts the valve cover, I'm at full 32 degrees advanced.

I'm hoping to take care of it tomorrow. The jeep is perfectly comfortable up to 60mph, but it's still idling too high.
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2016 at 11:50pm
umm. yeah.
found the dizzy problem...

the pins that hold the 'center bar' in place had wobbled out of their base plate. They are the inner set of pins that the weight springs attach to. The were actually floating in their lower holes.

There was enough of the original holes left that I could properly locate the pins and weld them back in.

Gonna go see if it worked..
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2016 at 3:17pm
The fuel pump was bad. I have a new part on order. The carb also needs a professional rebuild.
I swapped Offy intake onto it with an Edelbrock Thunder AVS 750 carb I had for my 74 Dart Sport. She runs like a top. The idea was to change out possible problem parts with known-good units as a troubleshooting method. IT worked.
I know the 750 is way too big as far as raw flow goes. It's running strictly on the primaries at the moment, which are similar in size to the original Rochester 2GC.  The AVS carb could also be detuned to run on the 231 - it has a spring-tensioned 'air-door' on the secondaries . With the right spring tension and jets you can run them on pretty small motors. The Carter Thermoquads are a very similar design, and you can stuff a 900 cfm TQ carb on a 273 V8 if you know how to tune them,
 and can manage to find the proper jets...

However, with the power the motor makes on either setup, I can't see ever needing the secondaries. The plan is to get the 2GC rebuilt and swap the stock intake and carb back on.
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2016 at 4:08pm
Hey Les....any updates?
Hope you are enjoying that V6.  Smile
Larry

2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2017 at 12:50am
OK, I have to drop an update.

While doing the install, I opted to NOT check the bell housing-to-crankshaft alignment and now I'm paying for that omission.

The hub in the clutch pressure disk is now loose and the pilot bushing fell out when I pulled the motor to fix a freeze crack in the side of the block (another story altogether).

So I checked the bell housing alignment and found that it was 0.019 inches offset towards the pass cyl head.

I picked up the parts and corrected this and I am now waiting to pick up a clutch.

So, I believe a word of caution is warranted to anyone doing ANY repower of pretty much any vehicle:

Check the bell housing alignment. I opted to not take the extra half hour, and that mistake is going to cost me about $200 in broken parts.

I you don't have the micrometer and magnetic base to do it, you can get the whole setup from Harbor Freight Tools for about $40. Money Well Spent.

More to come.

Les

Edited by LesBerg - 29 Mar. 2017 at 1:16am
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

ahmichigan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahmichigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2018 at 8:18pm
I want to thank you all for the great information and sharing on knowledge,  I spent a whopping 8 days swapping in my buick 225 into my 46 cj-2a, but not without a lot of research first.  I took the cheapest route, with the fewest modifications physically possible (So I think).  I was able to keep the battery and ross steering as original, and only needed to move the shifter cover in the cab 1.25" to the passenger side.   I ended up trimming the bell housing just below the lowest mounting bolt to clear the steering linkage.  Novak was dead in about the 1.25" shift to the passenger side, and they had great insight on how to keep the ross steering.  I aquired a Buick 225 fireball engine and adapted it to a Jeepster flywheel, bell housing, T-14 Transmission.  It is good to know that the shorter t-14 will help you keep your transmission in the same front/back location and prevent the need for driveshaft length changes.  I wanted to keep my model 18 transfer case, but the T-14 was married to a model 20 and the rear output yoke was in the wrong spot..  Also the t-14 10 spline output did not match the 6 spline input of a normal model 18.  No Problem,  the model 20  and model 18 were merged.  I used the 20 case and gears, but the output yokes and shaft from the 18.  It is amazing how interchangable they are.  I would be happy to elaborate if someone is thinking of doing this "Merge".  I removed the fan spacer and kept the original radiator from the 4 cyl.  (Jury is out on this, but I am hopeful)  I ran the radiator hose under the engine and up between the passenger motor mount and oil filter. This is about a 35" tube, but it is out of the way.  Shortening the Belt to the Alternator can keep it "tipped in" and this will help keep room for your battery on the fender.  The angle support directly below the battery tray will need to be removed to make room for your oil filter that will tuck under it.  I did not need to use a shorter filter, the 4.5" to 5" one still fits and let's you remove it.  Clutch linkage also stayed the same, but the cable needed to be lengthened, and you will need to space the frame side post about the 1.25" off the inside of the "C" frame to make up for the offset of the transfer case.  Front dump manifold works great, and you will need a tight bend back to avoid the front axle.  I piped the passenger manifold down and across the front of the transmission but above the skid plate, and "Y"ed it into the pipe coming from the drivers side.  You can keep the muffler here and it tucks nicely above your cross member and between the frame for maximum ground clearance.   Many think you need to change the steering, but the "shift" to the passenger side, really helps the front dump manifold, fit, and in reality, the original l-head was offset to the driver side, so when you move the buick 1.25" to the passenger side the engine sits dead center on the chassis.  I need to have the wing nut on the air cleaner in running front to back to avoid the center hood rib it is so close!  This is a really fun swap, and very satisfying.  Also for what is is worth, a Buick 225 (from a special or whatever before the Dauntless, will accept the dauntless flywheel just fine.  Also the crank and flywheel bolt pattern will only perfectly align in one of the 6 possible rotation options.  This ensures the crank and flywheel are in balance.  Lastly, the fan is not perfectly centered on the old Flattie radiator and you can trim some of the battery tray if you want some extra clearnance, but it may not be needed.  You can get a 1978 chevy camaro altenaternator with the integral regulator, from Orileys for 35$ and it fits right in, you need it in a 12:00 position FYI. 
Hope this helps somone.
Seating Capacity of a CJ-2a is 4 adults or 1 adult and 14 cub scouts. :) CJ-2A 1946 #22740
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2018 at 1:46am
Certainly not meaning to be offensive but...
I disagree with a couple of your claims. 
For beginners the L and F -134 engines were always offset 1-1/2" left of frame centerline. 
Not 1-1/4"as you have suggested.

I very carefully measured several bare frames and came to my own conclusion that a Dauntless should be positioned exactly 3/4" left of frame centerline.
That just so happens to be exactly as they were fitted into CJ-5/ 6 frames from the factory.
Therefore factory Dauntless frame brackets are ideal for setting up engine "side" placement.
If engine is too far to the right the front propeller shaft gets too close to the oil pan when the right front suspension compresses.
I did not need to relocate the battery tray support bracket.
I like you decided that a shorter than standard "Dauntless Jeep"  alternator belt was best.
Yes the factory grill pre-shroud pushes the air flow exactly 1-1/2" left of frame centerline.

Otherwise very glad that you like your set-up.
I love to see flatties with the Buick and Dauntless V-6 engines.

You running the 225 Buick factory monojet ?
Wondering how large is the Factory V-6 Fireball air cleaner opening ?
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2018 at 1:52am
What would the mechanical differences be in the Fireball and the Dauntless?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>