Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Calling all Leftys!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 19>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glennstin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2016 at 7:49pm
This is FUN!! Calling All Leftys has been going on for 6 years. Today a nice example showed up on C.L. and picked up by Dave at eWillys.com

http://www.ewillys.com/2016/08/30/1948-cj-2a-lefty-crown-point-ny-7500/comment-page-1/#comment-1639063

I've sent him a message about this site. Hope he'll jump in. Someone grab those great pix and post them PLEASE.
'50 Jeepster, Two '55 Customs (Aero), '58 CJ3B, Willys Special Equipment, Literature, AL-TOY JEEPS
txbarnleft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote txbarnleft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2016 at 3:35am
Wanted to throw another "lefty" in the research mix. Several years ago, I found an old Jeep in a barn on my wife's family ranch in south Texas.  Based on the family historian, my FIL, the Jeep has been parked in this barn since '81. Long story shorter, I was able to convince the family that letting her go to me would "save" her. Truth be told, I had no idea what it was other than a CJ2A. Only after posting some pics to a Facebook page did I come to learn of the "lefty." I had planned to make a hunting buggy out of her. Now, that seems like an injustice for an ole gal held in such splendid regards. I have now moved her to my home in Athens, GA where she will receive some love. I do not have any numbers as of yet. Will post as soon as I have time to chase them down. 

RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2016 at 12:27pm
Nice find, looks to me to me to be well worth saving.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2016 at 3:43pm
Would anyone be interested in a Lefty Reunion of sorts?  The 25th annual Spring Willys Reunion in Columbus, Indiana is coming up in May 2017.  

If anyone is interested let me know.  I would be willing to dig out our Lefty - if other Leftys were going to the show.

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2016 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by txbarnleft txbarnleft wrote:

Wanted to throw another "lefty" in the research mix. Several years ago, I found an old Jeep in a barn on my wife's family ranch in south Texas.  Based on the family historian, my FIL, the Jeep has been parked in this barn since '81. Long story shorter, I was able to convince the family that letting her go to me would "save" her. Truth be told, I had no idea what it was other than a CJ2A. Only after posting some pics to a Facebook page did I come to learn of the "lefty." I had planned to make a hunting buggy out of her. Now, that seems like an injustice for an ole gal held in such splendid regards. I have now moved her to my home in Athens, GA where she will receive some love. I do not have any numbers as of yet. Will post as soon as I have time to chase them down. 

Glad you found this!

When you do get those numbers---->http://cj-2a.com/parts_list/CJ2A_data.php
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2016 at 7:47pm
 I've had this '48 for a little over a year now, and thought I had posted its info here before, but I don't see a post by me, so, better late than never?

1948 CJ2-A "Lefty"
Serial # CJ2A-187447
ACM # 173913
No Frame Tag (normal for a late '48)
No sign of a Body Tag (no holes) (seems to be normal for lefty's?)
No Tailgate ACM #.
Currently has an F-Head engine.

Could this be the highest recorded Lefty serial #?
This jeep will be restored to some extent.  
On the subject of body tags, I have a later '48: Ser.# 189673 with a body tag#180859 and no ACM# but tailgate#180860.     BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2016 at 11:23pm
Here is the Lefty we have in storage.

Stev
Glennstin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glennstin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2016 at 11:40pm
WOW!! This thread has been going since 2010. This idea of a "LEFTY REUNION" is a good one. I'd have to check but I think the list of Leftys is less than 50. They are all very special. Don't modify one.
'50 Jeepster, Two '55 Customs (Aero), '58 CJ3B, Willys Special Equipment, Literature, AL-TOY JEEPS
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2016 at 11:52pm
Image result for mighty mo flat fender frenzy
This is a better picture of the one in storage.  I can bring it to the Spring Reunion in Columbus, Indiana if other Leftys are going to attend.
Stev
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2016 at 6:16am
I'll bring 'Southpaw' if it gets itself running between now and then. LOL

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
MarkB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2016 at 12:18pm
Glad you're gonna save her. I really love mine.

I'd be interested in the reunion of Leftys. I keep telling myself I will attend a willys show but still haven't made it to one.

A Lefty meeting might just push me over the edge to finally attend one.

Mark

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2016 at 3:09pm
Ok - Sounds like some interest in a Lefty gathering at the 25th Mid West Reunion.  

So we might have:
MarkB
rocnroll
Stev

It would be great to get 5 or 6, that would be 10% of the know survivors.  Who else can attend? 

I am assuming they will have us at the reunion.  They probably don't just want a bunch of old Jeep with tires on the wrong sides driving showing up unannounced.Wink

Stev
Stev
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2016 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

Ok - Sounds like some interest in a Lefty gathering at the 25th Mid West Reunion.  

So we might have:
MarkB
rocnroll
Stev

It would be great to get 5 or 6, that would be 10% of the know survivors.  Who else can attend? 

Maybe post something on the different Facebook pages also.
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2016 at 8:55pm

Would be a lot of fun but that's the start of Hay season here in the Ozarks. Big smile

Have to get the chores done before I can play. Approve

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2016 at 2:51am
Well see if you can Get-R-Done.  We are talking one weekend.  Love to have more three Leftys if possible.
Stev
cjs cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2017 at 1:50am
Well here is another Lefty, didn't realize it was a little rare.  The jeep has been in the family since 48.  I acquired it from my father when they decided to retire and downsize some.  Don't have much use for a snow plow in Florida but had to keep it all together.

Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2017 at 1:00pm
Lets get some numbers. Engine # and Serial #. Lets see where it falls in the range.Big smile
Take care of it. Since its been in the family since 1948 try and get a little history on it. Where was it bought...etc.
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
cjs cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2017 at 1:07am
I don't have the serial in front of me but it did fall into the range it was 177??? I can get it next time I open the hood.  The engine I am actually trying to figure that out, I have another topic going in the tech q&a section on Id'ing the cylinder head.  Head is not original and currently trying to figure out if the block is.  Starts and runs but needs brakes among many other things.  I hope to get it into a usable state to drive around some.  As far as the history it was my Great Grandfathers, bought new in upstate NY for use on there apple orchard.  I learned to drive it around 11 or 12 and it stayed at my parents until last year when I brought it down to FL.
Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 19>