Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Circuit Breaker

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Circuit Breaker
    Posted: 26 Jan. 2017 at 3:25pm
I am working on a 1948 Lefty's headlight switch and have a question about which style of circuit breaker it should have.

There seem to be two types of circuit breakers - neither of which appear in the parts list.  It only mentions a switch assembly.

One type is a small enclosed rectangle.  The other type is an open style with a chip board wrap.

Which is correct?

Edited by Stev - 26 Jan. 2017 at 3:28pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2017 at 4:08pm
Here is some information and observations from an earlier thread.  Not sure that it helps determine the right switch for your '48, but suggests that the switch changes and the part number stays the same.

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2017 at 5:08pm
AtHawk11

Thanks for the reply.  My switch is different than the ones in the photos.  It appears to be a Kilxon but this one has a screwed on circuit breaker not a riveted on circuit breaker as pictured.

I am getting the feeling at no one know what is actually correct on these CJ2As.  

Stev
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2017 at 6:09pm
There is a reference in that post that may be describing your switch...but it's not pictured in that post.  Just above the last photo...

"Later model switches have a different circuit breaker, and modern replacements have a center-mounted fuse instead of a circuit breaker:"

Can't say for sure that this refers to the switch you're talking about.

I think we need to keep a few things in perspective.    It is rare to find original electrical parts installed on a 2A that still work.  Electrical parts wear out...and get swapped out.  After all, these were made 70 years ago.

Also, historically, it is known that Willys Overland faced a number of issues while transitioning from a military manufacturer to a civilian manufacturer. Additionally, raw material shortages caused supply line disruptions, and worker strikes at Willys and strikes at Willys parts suppliers.

For example...

There is a Service Bulletin dated August 31, 1948 that describes 2355 2As, Wagons, and Jeepsters being produced with chain drive engines......long after the transition to gear drive L-134s.  These engines were "mixed" in with standard gear drive production because of "curtailed supply of camshafts."  They were forced to use these chain drive engines "to keep our production lines going".

Now, if I didn't know about this bulletin, I would make the assumption that a chain drive engine couldn't possibly be original to a 1948 Lefty...when in fact, it could be.  
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
 Post Reply Post Reply