Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

condensation?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: condensation?
    Posted: 21 Mar. 2017 at 1:25am

Hello, I've been trying to fix leaks on my cj2a and believe I was making head way on them,

and over the weekend I started my jeep up to check a exhaust manifold leak I had to see
if was fixed. I seems to be ok now but tonight I went out and noticed a puddle under it about
in the location of the master cylinder but it doesn't seem to be brake fluid be more like water
with a oily feel.
Is that a common spot for condensation off the exhaust when they cool down?
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2017 at 11:43am
Nope,  is it clear or does it smell petroleum based?  open your left over brake fluid and smell it for comparison. Could be engine oil leaking from your oil pressure line or connection to the block.

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2017 at 1:06pm
There are rare instances when you do have the right atmospheric conditions to get condensation on the outside of your carburetor at start up.

Basically, you are pulling cold air down the throat of the carburetor and it chills the outer metal and the water in the air condenses on the outer surface of the carburetor.  This will go away as the engine warms up.

Be Safe Out There

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2017 at 2:23pm

the front and  rear exhaust studs penetrate into the water jacket, might check that back one for water seepage too, was a sealer applied to the stud going into the block?

1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2017 at 3:56pm
I check it again and it seems to be brake fluid, clear very fine, I don't know if is a leak or
venting out of the top cap yet. I will give a good look for that. Also I'm thinking it could
because of the exhaust heating up the master cylinder, so I thinking about rapping the
exhaust pipe with some type of heat tape.
RICH

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2017 at 5:30pm
It supposed to have a heat shield that is a PITA to put in

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2017 at 5:31pm

1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2017 at 9:14pm
With that heat shield missing is the brake fluid leaking out of the top of the master cylinder common?
RICH

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2017 at 9:21pm
Not sure but it keeps the heat away- heat expands fluids, remove a bit of brake fluid out of the MC, maybe it's just too full.

berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2017 at 6:47am
Originally posted by 1947-cj2a 1947-cj2a wrote:

With that heat shield missing is the brake fluid leaking out of the top of the master cylinder common?

Never heard about that happening. I don't have a heat shield on mine but I also upgraded mine master cylinder to a dual reservoir.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2017 at 2:04pm
It all depend on how the exhaust pipe is routed I would think.  I have never had a heat shield on our trail jeep which is running a MB style side exhaust and a dual master cylinder (Herm).  I did wrap the exhaust with high temp insulation used on exhausts for a while but the trails  have gotten the best of the insulation wrap.  No issue with boiling the brake fluid-  that I have experienced.  Again all depends on how the exhaust is routed.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2017 at 7:35pm
grab some spray brake cleaner, get on your back and clean the heck out of the MC around the top and front copper crush washers and lines. let it dry, using a buddy, wife etc to press on the brake pedal hard while your underneath the jeep to look for leaks, let us know if you find one. then go grab a cold beverage.

put on some safety glasses to prevent a drip or getting in your eyes 

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2017 at 10:12pm
did you fix it? what was it?

1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2017 at 4:25am
Hey Jeeper 50
I believe I may have it, I seem to be leaking by the copper washer, I just tighten down
the bolt that goes thru the brass y-fitting. I's still watching it to see if is good.
But I still thinking about wrapping the exhaust pipe to keep the heat off the master
cylinder and the bake light switch and wiring.
thanks for all the help.

RICH

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2017 at 12:15am
glad you found the problem

Post Reply Post Reply