Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1947 CJ2a - bigdaddy's Jeep therapy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2017 at 1:48am
Gloss Smoke grey rustoleum enamal by the quart cut with mineral spirits until not-thick and slow pouring, then rolled on with a dense foam roller.

On several projects i have applied 8-10 thin coats, wet sanding in-between once cured.

After 2 years sitting in the sun in various parking lots my last project still had a pretty good shine.

Here's a video talking about the same process but using a spray gun...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y607sT0bJUI

bigdaddy13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2017 at 6:49am

This is the first coat where i was just testing the color scheme...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 9:52pm
So, my dad and i had an awesome time working on the willys this weekend. He drove all the way down from his place to mine (4hours) to wrench, relax and hangout with the grandkids.

Partial list of what we got done
1. Re-installed refreshed driveshaft
2. Installed front shocks (need to buy rear shocks)
3. Installed front disc brake brackets
4. Installed/test fit front discs/rotors
5. Did research and took measurements for likely custom front soft brake hoses.
6. Properly bolted down fuel tank, front seats and transmission hump inspection covers
7. Worked on custom alternator bracket,
8. Head-scratched on custom f-head motor mounts.

Pics:

Edited by bigdaddy13 - 23 May 2017 at 9:55pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 9:54pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2017 at 8:23am
Paging Metcalf,

I have the suzuki rotors installed, caliper plates installed, and calipers bolted up.

Only issue right now is that the caliper adjustment/slider bolt casting is now rubbing on the inner wheel surface. This is a 47 CJ2-a. Wheels looked to be correct for the year. From my notes this disc conversion should work with a stock 2a.

Wheel spacers needed between wheel and disc surface?
Maybe its part of the process to remove a bit of material on the wheel or the caliper?

Input would be appreciated if you've run into this...
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2017 at 11:40am
I've heard of some people using 1/4" spacers between the wheel and disc on the suzuki conversion.  I didn't have to on my conversion, but maybe not all wheels are equal in thickness?

Do you have M38 wheels on your jeep?  They have the tiny hole in them by the wheel stud holes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2017 at 10:50pm
Spacers - check. I'll look into those.

As for the wheels, I'll inspect them tonight a bit more closely and post up what I find. Thanks!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2017 at 5:37pm
Ok, well it looks like the wheels are of two different types.

I have 3 wheels that look to be Motor Wheel wheels, with a dimpled lugnut area. That wheel rubs.

I have two wheels(including spare) that look to be Kelsey Hayes wheelswith a flat ring where the lugnuts attach..

I'm going to try swapping the Motor wheel wheels up to the front to see if clearances are any different.

EDIT: sure enough, the KH rims fit like a glove with no rubbing on the caliper and about 1/8"  of clearance between surfaces.   

Edited by bigdaddy13 - 07 July 2017 at 7:06am
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2017 at 1:59am
Not sure how badly the caliper is rubbing on your wheel surface, but you might consider grinding the tops of the calipers where they meet the inside of your steel wheel. Just a thought, If your talking 1/8 to 1/4 you may be OK. Just my 2 pennies. I have done this a few times in the past.
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2017 at 7:07am
i might just try that this weekend, MASSCJ2a, just a few seconds at my bench grinder ought to do it. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2017 at 5:24pm
Got some garage time yesterday, finally. Tried spacers - no go, not enough thread left on the studs. Tried a bit of grinding - no go, as I'd have to take off far too much material. Thought about grinding the wheels a bit bit i don't want to create stress/weak points...

So out comes the hammer- tried it on one of the raised spots. Took like 5 hammer blows and it was massages down significantly. Rinse and repeat on each ridge and the wheels now fit perfectly with at least 1/8-1/4" clearance. :)

I was also able to install the other caliper, (i only had one installed, and both new hoses. Missing a banjo bolt, but going to pick one up today so i can possibly get these brakes filled, bled and functioning in the next few weeks. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2017 at 10:19pm
and, at long last, this rig finally has brakes. Just took Mrs. bigdaddy out for a spin, up the driveway and up and down the street a bit.

Stoked. 👍🏻

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2017 at 10:28pm
To-do list:
1. Alternator install
2. Charging system wiring
3. Source drive belt
4. Hook up and test guages, lights, etc.
5. Source rear seat
6. Get roll cage bent up and welded in
7. Rock slider fab/install
8. Source seat belts and install. 
9. Rear tire/can mount.
10. Windshield lollypop hinge source and install
11. Etc
12. Etc...

...but again, i just drove what used to be a boat anchor, pile of parts, basket-case...DOWN THE STREET, with my WIFE wearing a huge grin the whole time. WINNER-WINNER chicken dinner! :)

Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2017 at 2:23am
Conngrats. Some of the best grins I ever saw were from people riding in my old Jeep.
From my grandfather, mother, father, brother, dog and to a niece.
Can a dog grin at you?
My father probably grinned the most when he was driving it.
uncamonkey
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2017 at 3:26am
Awesome Clap
Congrats on the first drive!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2017 at 3:37pm
Thanks, Fellas! This project has been challenging, but has been exactly what I had hoped - sort of a catalyst for time spent with family, good buddies, and by myself, honestly.

I've spent some very peaceful hours in my garage after some long, hard time at work. As soon as it gets frustrating, I pack up, and call it a day.

Looking forward to the next steps to getting her "head into town for groceries" worthy.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2017 at 10:16pm
short vid of one of the first test drives:

berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2017 at 3:35pm
Thanks for sharing! Someone sure looks like they are enjoying the test drive! Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>