Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Die Grinder failure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jscheiner.09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Die Grinder failure
    Posted: 07 Mar. 2017 at 3:27pm
My die grinder will go through phases where it gets really slow, and air just shoots out the bottom where the air is connected. Sometimes it will just stop and shoot air at the bottom with no turn of the wheel.

Anyone else ever encounter this? I have been putting a few drops of oil in when I use it.
JS
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2017 at 3:44pm
If you bought it from Harbor Freight, throw it away and by a good one. I know this from exqerience. I tried to go cheap on several air tools from Harbor Freight. None of them were any good.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2017 at 3:48pm
Air that supplies the die grinder needs to be clean and dry. Any moisture that gets into the motor will start corrosion that will eventually ruin the die grinder. Make sure you have a good air line filter for your air supply and empty it after every use. It is a good idea to empty the compressor air tanks after they are used also.

The more humid the atmosphere, the more water will be collected in the compressor system. An air line oiler is a good investment if the die grinder is used extensively, but don't use the same air hose or connections on a paint gun.

Got to agree with Stan, X2. Air tools are of two grades. Good ones and bad ones...the good ones will last forever if taken care of and the bad ones will die right out of the box it seems like. Ingersoll, Chicago Pneumatic, Sioux are some good brands.

HTH

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 07 Mar. 2017 at 3:53pm
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2017 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

It is a good idea to empty the compressor air tanks after they are used also.

HTH

I am SO guilty..Embarrassed
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2017 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by RICKG RICKG wrote:

Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

It is a good idea to empty the compressor air tanks after they are used also.

HTH

I am SO guilty..Embarrassed

You are not alone...

I recall a fellow mechanic that told me one time that his shop air compressor kept coming on almost as soon as he would start using his air impact wrench...anyway, he found that his air tank was almost half full of water because the water cut down the capacity of the tank!
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

jscheiner.09 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jscheiner.09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2017 at 6:33pm
Ah.
I actually have not emptied the bottom of the compressor from water in a long time. I usually just do it from the moisture filter which will spray moisture out as well but most likely not all of the bottom moisture.
I will definitely try that!
Thanks.
And It is a Husky not a Harbor Freight special hahaha.
JS
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2017 at 6:55pm
I had a problem with an old Ingersoll-Rand impact gun: it had been over-oiled over the years and wouldn't work even without a socket on it.  I opened it up and cleaned out the excess oil and it works just fine now.  Has your die grinder been over-oiled?
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
jscheiner.09 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jscheiner.09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2017 at 8:11pm
What is considered over oiled? I do a couple drops everytime I use it.
JS
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2017 at 11:23pm
It is better than running water through them as I did in the tire shop a few times.
We drained the compressor tanks every Saturday evening.
uncamonkey
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2017 at 1:12am
Try some penetrating oil (wd40 ect.) the vanes inside may be gummed up.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2017 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by jscheiner.09 jscheiner.09 wrote:

What is considered over oiled? I do a couple drops everytime I use it.
JS

A couple drops every time is probably not over-oiled, at least if you use it for more than a minute at a time.  My I-R had so much oil that the vanes wouldn't slide out of the vane-holder-cylinder-thing.  I had to take it apart to discover that, though.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2017 at 2:16am
Don't think you can over oil. Just blows out at first and makes a mess. But die grinders are messy to begin with. Every Harbor Freight air tool I bought was crap half a dozen uses and failure.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2017 at 2:41am
Most Harbor Freight tools have customer ratings that help in buying their tools. I have their Earth Quake 1/2" impact and have had it for about 8 years and it works great.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
 Post Reply Post Reply