Forum Home Forum Home > The CJ2A Parts Project > Parts List > Front Axle
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

differential covers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: differential covers
    Posted: 09 Dec. 2007 at 5:23pm
redoing my front axle last night I had an oppertunity to compair an early and latter side by side. The case looked the same other than some casting marks. The thing that was very different though was the cover. The earlier one was thicker and formed differently. I'll let the pics tell the differences.
from the '45 parts list (I don't have access to the '49, so there may be a new part # for the later style)

GROUP 20 -02 --FRONT AXLE HOUSING
COVER, axle housing.......................PART A-10231

The early one is the one on the bottom, (first pic) also the one that says "front axle".
Notice also the mark on the one and a different marking on the other under the axle shaft housing on the same side.
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2007 at 5:41pm
Gary, both #10749, and #21200 front covers are like your thicker one on the left...both of my D-25's, and both of my Spicer 23-2's have that same thick cover with the vent hole stamped outwards....low
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2007 at 6:36pm
I was always told the thicker (cast vs. stamped) one is a military cover. I always try to put one of those on any axle I have.......try to snag any of them at swap meets I can too just to make sure I have an extra or two.

That would also explain the front axle stamping.

Edited by rocnroll - 09 Dec. 2007 at 6:38pm
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2007 at 8:13pm
Roc,
I'm not sure that this early front cover is cast... it appears stamped only twice as thick. I'm not sure if the front cover will fit on the early rear 23/2 full float diferential.? I can't get at mine at this time. I DO know that the ring and pinion out of the front dana25 will fit in the rear 23/2 so......maybe the cast one will fit on both ???
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2007 at 8:17pm
Roc, because i cannot "clearly" see from Gary's pics, i am uncertain for sure if his thicker cover is a casted military one or a stamped steel, maybe he will elaborate...but, i will offer this, because i have 3 types of covers here that will fit either the Spicer 23-2, or the D-25.

1. the cast covers ARE military, but ONLY for the Spicer 23-2....the cast cover will interchange with the D-25, but even with a gasket, and sealer, does not seal real well..i just sold a matched pair of MB axles, still very much in Olive Drab to a gent on the G503, and ONLY the rear cover was cast, the front was a thick stamped steel one..(does not mean in 60 years, it was not changed, but with the continuity of the paint, i'd bet strongly it was original...

2. i have both a thin, AND a thick stamped cover.. and they both flex a little better for sealing than the cast cover, when used on either the front D-25, or the rear Spicer 23-2..

lastly, how many cast covers would you like?  i probably have access to 10 or more :)

Gary, YES, the front D-25 cover will fit the Spicer 23-2, ..low

Edited by lowenuf - 09 Dec. 2007 at 8:20pm
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2007 at 8:28pm
Aren't the cast ones also cast with hypoid gear oil or something cast into the cover? That's the ones I'm thinking about. I'm at work right now so can't look at what I have.

Thanks for the offer Low, I've got enough to do everything I have running at the moment. Wink
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2007 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Aren't the cast ones also cast with hypoid gear oil or something cast into the cover? That's the ones I'm thinking about. I'm at work right now so can't look at what I have.

Thanks for the offer Low, I've got enough to do everything I have running at the moment. Wink

no, there is no wording on the cast  covers, at least not the umteen many i have ever seen :)...the D-41 diff cover has a spot welded vertical tag that states to the affect of "use hypoid gear oil".....
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188

flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2013 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by lowenuf lowenuf wrote:

Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

no, there is no wording on the cast  covers, at least not the umteen many i have ever seen :)...the D-41 diff cover has a spot welded vertical tag that states to the affect of "use hypoid gear oil".....

Old post I know.
FYI:This cast cover has the wording:

Post Reply Post Reply