Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Donaldson decal question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Donaldson decal question
    Posted: 23 Feb. 2017 at 6:40pm
My late '46 came to me with this donaldson on it.  The decal doesn't match the more typical oval style that I'm used to seeing.  
I was already on the fence as to whether this was original and picked up a 3 louvered post war Oakes unit.

I can find references tying this decal to a donaldson filter, but only when also referenced to john deere tractors...so far back as far as '44.
Has anyone else seen this decal on a donaldson on a late '46 2A? LOL...  

I'm "o.k." if the answer is that my filter came off a tractor, lol, I just feel like I own the right answer, I just have no idea which one it is (of three... the donaldson could be correct but the decal wrong).

Thoughts?

ETA: I've found reference to the oval decal being 47 and up, but largely from retailers and I think that is just to differentiate from the 45-46 oakes...fwiw

Edited by mbullism - 23 Feb. 2017 at 6:53pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2017 at 1:41am
I think your gut instinct to go back to the Oakes style cleaner for your '46 was a good one. Donaldson cleaners don't show up on a 2A until much later.

The Donaldson in your photo is not correct for a Willys, so neither is the label.

This is the Donaldson cleaner used on a Willys. You can see the differences.

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2017 at 3:42am
Thanks for the pic, Tim... I've seen that style as well, but have not seen any documentation as to when the donaldson generally came in... adding to my dilema:

My 2a is 69750... looking at pics of 69376, down the line only a day or two prior, it has the same incorrect donaldson, albeit with the oval decal.  I know a lot can happen in 7 decades, but oil baths aren't high wear items in need of constant replacement, or something swapped out to gain a couple horsepower, lol.

There are some older threads re: filters, but the links are broken and the pictures largely missing.
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2017 at 3:48am
Pretty sure the decal is a John Deere thing. If the color doesn't give it away your tractor post seals the deal.
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2017 at 11:35am
Donaldsons started being used in September 1946. Tech bulletin 787. Basically you could have an Oakes or a Donaldson after that point.

Bill

Edited by Bill Norris - 24 Feb. 2017 at 12:04pm
Holy Toledo! Jeep Calendars and the Dispatcher Jeep magazine

http://dispatchermagazine.com
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2017 at 12:46pm
Thanks Bill, I did see that...

Letter 787, dated 9/6/46, says that Donaldsons "will be used", but doesn't reference a date or SN for the change.  As I chew on this having found reference to my decal back a couple years for donaldsons in tractors, I'm left to wonder if 69376 and 69750, built the end of october '46, possibly received some of the first donaldsons, even an earlier style, even out of Donaldson inventory originally manufactured for Deere...

The search continues, though I'm suddenly feeling instead of needing one right answer out of three possibilities, I may in fact have three right answers Confused
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2017 at 4:02pm

Originally posted by Bill Norris Bill Norris wrote:

Donaldsons started being used in September 1946. Tech bulletin 787. Basically you could have an Oakes or a Donaldson after that point.

Bill

I do remember that bulletin.  I didn't remember the change being quite that early.  Thanks for the lesson.

Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

... looking at pics of 69376, down the line only a day or two prior, it has the same incorrect donaldson, albeit with the oval decal. 

Are you sure it's the "same" Donaldson?  Can you share a photo of 69376?  Compare yours to mine.  Can you see how large the top 'drip edge' is on mine compared to yours?  Also the 'bead' in the center of the body, above the oil cup retaining ring?  Yours does not have the bead.

69750 really is right in the heart of that transition.  I've not seen your style on a 2A before, but who knows?  If 69376 does match your style, then it might be possible that Donaldson shipped the wrong cleaner...or ran low on standard Willys versions and was forced to supply a batch that was different, but compatible.  But, if true, why wouldn't Willys just use an Oakes?

Edited by athawk11 - 24 Feb. 2017 at 4:04pm
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2017 at 4:13pm
While not being a Willys historian I've found through nearly 12 years of being a member here is that anything is possible. If I'm not mistaken, Willys found ways to get the product off the assembly line and into show rooms as fast as they could to meet demand. The fact that the used outside vendors like Autolite, Donaldson, and Corcoran Brown instead of making their own peripherals meant that they were at the mercy of what was available from said vendors.

If the bulletin states September '46 as the move to Donaldson, then my #69376 and Mike's #69750 fit into that timeframe and could have been the first to use the different filter. Who can say for sure that Donaldson hadn't tooled up completely and used a variation that had the same mounting pattern for a limited run. 

Once again, I'm no expert, just throwing out some ideas.

Tim

This photo from 12 years ago while stripping the old paint off and finding the oval decal below.

The one difference I noticed is where the decal was located. Placed on the horizontal band instead of on top of the dome.

Edited by timcj2a - 24 Feb. 2017 at 4:20pm
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2017 at 4:50pm
Tim's 69376 shows the oval decal on the side, same as mine, not the "usual" location on top... I had hoped that maybe his oval had been applied over a rectangular decal like mine in a transitional thing, but I guess nothing in his pics or memory supports that...  It is possible that they put his oval decal there because "that's where the decal goes", lol... I'm trying to find a pic of a JD tractor sporting a donaldson that shows the style of filter AND the location of the decal...

ETA: it's also likely the decals were on the side, and their move to the top was predicated on the later style filter with the rib... the decal placement on the rib being problematic-

Edited by mbullism - 24 Feb. 2017 at 4:53pm
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2017 at 6:39pm
more support for the style, not the decal...
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2017 at 8:06pm
At least you have 3 right answers not 3 wrong answers.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2017 at 8:27pm
I would love to know the serial # on the Willys in that add.

I'm thinking I've been fooled once again by Willys Overland and their unusual occasional practice of using different parts...but keeping the same part number.

Based information provided in this thread, I believe there may be an early Donaldson and a late Donaldson.

Perhaps one of the 2A Historians can confirm.

Tim

Edited by athawk11 - 24 Feb. 2017 at 8:30pm
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2017 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by leecarr leecarr wrote:

At least you have 3 right answers not 3 wrong answers.

HA!

The ad picked from ewillys was selected based on limited owners, and seemingly largely untouched... plenty of 46's sporting Oakes as well as the "later"(?) Donaldson... it's hardly decisive, I'd like to know the SN as well, but the CL ad is long gone.

I found plenty of pics of '45 and '46 JD tractors sporting "my" decal on their air cleaners, but none of the air cleaners look anything like these... the tractor models are taller and narrower.
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2017 at 10:07pm
I can give you a wrong answer if you want one. I really don't know as my MB didn't come with an air cleaner so perhaps that explains why the motor it was sort of cooked.
The price on the Jeep for sale seems a bit high but you start the price high so you can then go down.
The guy across the street wanted to buy My 3B. I didn't give him a price and told him to look at ewillys. He hasn't talked to me about it since then. Not a $500.00 vehicle.
uncamonkey
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2017 at 12:08am
  Perhaps Donaldson was like Willys - "Use what you have on hand. If you're out of one, use the other - the info on it is the same".   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2017 at 11:04pm
For what its worth, there were three different style Oakes used on 2As. The stamped instructions body, the attached plate instructions and then the decal instruction. They only had two different part numbers though. The oil cup was different between the early and late style. Otherwise, they probably would have had the same part number for all three.

Bill
Holy Toledo! Jeep Calendars and the Dispatcher Jeep magazine

http://dispatchermagazine.com
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2017 at 11:13pm
so ive yet to see another filter with my decal on it... the side story, the "early"(?) style of filter, we have as early as 54xxx (predating the service bulletin by at least two weeks) and as late as 81xxx, right before xmas '46...
46willys2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 46willys2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2017 at 3:50am
I have a CJ2a #51734. My Dad traded a car for it in 1951. As far as I know it has the original air filter. It looks exactly like the filter in mbullism's first photo, the photo of the green Craig's List CJ2a and the photo of Tim's. Sorry, I don't know what the original sticker looked like. The filter housing has been painted at least twice.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>