Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine exhaust issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R P Williams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine exhaust issues
    Posted: 18 Apr. 2017 at 3:52pm
My 1948 CJ2A is at my trusted mechanic. I have been having issues with the engine starting and not wanting to run after 10-15 minutes of use. My mechanic is old school and loves to work on old jeeps, he rebuilt much of the jeep for me over the last 13 years. However he is stumped over this issue.
In mechanics terms, the plugs are running rich and the exhaust is running lean. The plugs are sooty and the exhaust manifold is turning white from heat. He has removed exhaust pipe and the exhaust manifold (I guess its call a shutter ) is frozen wide open, but the engine is not seeming to want to vent all the exhaust gasses. He is thinking the valves need adjusting and that would require removing the intake and exhaust manifolds. Also when running, jeep will not get above 32 miles an hour, he said it should be able to reach at least 50 MPH. He has replaced all the fuel lines, filter, fuel pump and gone through the Carter Carb. and checked coil, coil wire. Any comments please.
1948 Willys CJ2A with M38 windshield.
1994 Chevy S10 4x4
2002 Ford Ranger Off Road 4x4
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2017 at 3:59pm
To adjust the valves on an L134 you DO NOT need to remove the manifolds. It is a lot easier access if  you do, but not required. It's a little bit of contortionist skills required, but just take the side cover off and adjust. If the heat riser is stuck so it always sends exhaust through the intake manifold, that can result in overheating and fuel issues. 

Is there a mouse nest in the muffler or some such thing?
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
R P Williams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R P Williams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2017 at 5:10pm
Heat riser in exhaust manifold is stuck open , muffler and exhaust pipes are clear. exhaust system has been removed and checked. Any comments  welcomed !

Edited by R P Williams - 18 Apr. 2017 at 5:27pm
1994 Chevy S10 4x4
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2017 at 6:10pm
My PCV valve caused me some problems a couple years back at the Black Hills Run.  It clogged.  Engine performance dropped off exponentially.  I'm not sure this is your problem, but it's worth looking at.

I like a description offered by one of the 2A guys here.  He describes an engine as a "big pump".  Fresh air in...Dirty air out.  I would have guessed what Stan mentioned.  A clogged exhaust system.  How about the 'Air In' system?  Is it obstructed?  

Valves could be an issue, but they would have to be pretty out of wack to turn the exhaust manifold "white". 

Edit:  For valve adjustments, I remove the fender and leave the manifolds in place.

Edited by athawk11 - 18 Apr. 2017 at 6:13pm
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2017 at 10:39pm
I also would have guessed a mouse nest in the exhaust.

Just for grins, is there any chance that the intake manifold is from a welder or any other stationary engine? Those have a smaller inlet than the CJ ones have. I had a customer that had a welder engine installed in his '53 Willys pickup. It could hardly get out of its own way. The top speed was 35 MPH as well. When I installed the correct manifolds, it ran quite well & could achieve 55 MPH.

One way to tell if it has a stationary engine in it is that most of them had the carburetor clocked 90 degrees off from what a CJ would have. The sure way to tell would be to remove the carburetor & measure the OD of the hole it feeds into.

I am assuming that the mechanic has tested all of your electrical components. The problem is that there are a whole bunch of bad condensers that have been sold to good folks by a bad manufacturer or two. Some of these condensers fail right away, while others wait until you are confident in them & then fail at the most inopportune time.

Coils also do not last forever. Most of them fail completely, however, some fail just enough to give one fits. These can cause a mechanic all kinds of frustration. It is easy enough to test them on a machine. Finding an old school mechanic that has that machine, & know how to use it, may be a trick though. If their test takes less than an hour, & they say it is good, find another tester. Try this, get the engine running & warmed up well. Next, using the back of your hand & moving slowly, test the temperature of the coil. If it will sear your flesh when you are 3" away, the coil is bad. If it is about the same temperature as the engine, it is probably good. No guarantee on this though. I will guarantee that the hot one is bad!

IHTH, Cpt Logger.
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2017 at 12:15am
something to try is to replace the condenser in the distributer , they will give you problems like you are describing with sooted up plugs and no power
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R P Williams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2017 at 1:07am
Thank you all for the  info. I will pass onto my mechanic.

Edited by R P Williams - 19 Apr. 2017 at 1:09am
1994 Chevy S10 4x4
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2017 at 2:57pm
Lower power and hot exhaust sounds like late ignition timing to me
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R P Williams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 7:56pm
Problem solved. The heat riser in the exhaust was only about 70% open and frozen tight. The camera that was sent in showed it was open but it did not show it was about 30% closed. It is now 100% open, carb was worked on and new fuel pump installed, valves were slightly adjusted too. Runs better than ever now.  Will make over 40mph with 5.38 gears. that is about as fast as I want to run this old girl .

Edited by R P Williams - 23 May 2017 at 7:59pm
1994 Chevy S10 4x4
 Post Reply Post Reply