Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First Jeep project 1946 CJ2A Father and sons

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mushroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Jeep project 1946 CJ2A Father and sons
    Posted: 11 Jan. 2017 at 3:11am
Hello everyone

New member here. Just picked up a 1946 CJ2A this past Sunday. I came looking on here that evening for a tub and had a response within 12hrs! Very nice person only about an hour and a half away. This is a great forum. I will need some help for sure and this looks like the place to get some help.

So I struck a deal with a fella a few hours away - we connected through craigslist. The pics look like someone started rebuilding the tub but they did not really follow the old parts - the seller cautioned me that the tub may be unusable due to the way it had been worked on. It was in a school for a year or so and the students learned metal techniques on it - more about process than perfect parts. They learned to braze, weld, ect on it. Buy the sellers description if the students part was close they beat it in and moved on. He did let the students get the engine running, they changed the oil, installed a new oil filter, installed a new gas tank, along with a electric fuel pump. The teacher then drove it out into the lot just after the students confirmed the trans would shift and the clutch seemed to work. Then they moved on to body work. It did not get finished.

Then the teacher retired and took his jeep back home with him. It was moved into a barn and has sat there since - roughly 2 years. 

We picked it up on Sunday. Got home - it was cold - and we worked to get it in the garage. That was enough cold fun for one day.

Next night I placed a battery on a charger, removed the spark plugs, sprayed some deep creep penetrating oil in each cylinder and reinstalled the plugs. 

Tonight, even though the boys were both under the weather we snuck out and proceeded to turn the engine over with a breaker bar, then we hooked up the battery, shot some starting fluid in the carb and putt putt putt - she talked to us! 

We will most likely be replacing the existing tub with one that needs some patch work. 

The oil on the dip stick is clean - like new clean - however when I opened the oil filter housing and dropped the washer in the housing - i came back up with black gunk. 

I suppose the next step will be to drain the oil, drop the pan, clean out the bottom of the pan, clean out the sump on the oil filter and refill with clean oil. 

Then we will acquire tubes or some kind of tires for the front and probably also attempt to move it out of the garage and back in. From there we will decide which way we head. I am leaning towards body removal so we can attack the frame and drive line - the boys may have a different plan - they are excited about welding so we may work on the replacement tub next. The concept of this project for me is to get them away from the brain melting video games, spend some great time together, mom has stated that she used to help her grandpa and can turn a wrench too! Hands on experience with tools and the like will be good for them. I am looking forward to greasy hand prints on the walls and tools I cant find (I kind of have both problems already but up until now I could not really blame them!) 

So thats it - wish us luckJeep
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2017 at 3:20am
Welcome, I would get it running and driving before you spend anytime on the body. Looks like a great project and can't wait to see more!

http://cj-2a.com/parts_list/CJ2A_data.php
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2017 at 4:06am
always room for more, definately looking forward to watching the progress-  x2 on mechanicals first, especially if the plan to replace the tub.  Not too many folks can work on their tub off the frame while they drive it ;)
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Mushroom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mushroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2017 at 4:17am
Thanks for the suggestions. Since the replacement tub will be separate from the frame I think we will have the opportunity to work on both. I am kind of trying to follow their interests to keep them energized and excited about working on it. I will be spending some time getting the engine running other than on a puff of either. I am anticipating at the very least taking off the covers for the front and rear diff and changing the fluids, moving to brakes, and whatnot from there. 

Mushroom

Beep Beep!
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2017 at 5:36pm
Awesome! Welcome to the forum ... I'm only about 2 months ahead of you ... also a '46 CJ2A.  

Keep us posted please - and we'll share Q & A

Jim
Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2017 at 3:00pm
It was nice meeting Pete and his Illinois sidekick Mike. These guys have a lot of enthusiasm. He bought an old tub I had that is very restorable and should be a good welding education for him and his boys. He has networked pretty good up here in Wisconsin and has already toured Joe DeYoungs Willys warehouse. I have even got him interested in going to his first Spring Willys Reunion. Once he attends one of these with his boys he will definitely be ensnared in the Willys web of J_ust E_mpty E_very P_ocket.
Welcome to the madness!
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Mushroom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mushroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2017 at 4:52am
Update on the jeep project. Been working on the floor pans and trans tunnel of the spare tub. The tunnel is taking some time. Hat channel on order. Having fun. The boys are enjoying working and welding.
Beep Beep!
Mushroom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mushroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2017 at 3:09am

More progress
Beep Beep!
Mushroom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mushroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2017 at 3:15am

The youngest wanted to try welding. He had a good time.
Beep Beep!
Mushroom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mushroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2017 at 3:20am

Bought a hat channel kit from Midwest Military. Nice product and fast shipping. Also one of the best prices I found!
Beep Beep!
Mushroom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mushroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2018 at 5:04am
been working on and off on the jeep. Welding grinding painting. Bit by bit.
Beep Beep!
BryanB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BryanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2018 at 12:49pm
cool project!
mkoloc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkoloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2018 at 4:26am
Welcome to the forum.  Great idea regards getting the boys involved, did the same with my sons on my Halftrack project.  John at Midwest is a great guy and he makes quality products.  Keep the pics flowing, we love to watch the progress of every project.

LTC Mark Koloc (USA-RET)
MVPA#31144
OEF Afghan 03-04
OEF Africa 05-07
OEF KFOR 08-09
WTB 09-11
1942 Ford GPW
43 M16A2 Half-Track w/44 M10      
Trlr
1943 M3 Sct Car
1947 CJ2A
Mushroom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mushroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2018 at 3:44am
Beep Beep!
Mushroom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mushroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2018 at 3:50am
Beep Beep!
Mushroom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mushroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2018 at 3:52am
We are moving along on the project. Not sure how much longer we need but every day we work on it things seem to be looking more like a working jeep. One piece at a time right?
Beep Beep!
 Post Reply Post Reply