Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flathead Ford V8 swap into 2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2010 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by Rusty1340 Rusty1340 wrote:

........ but the 8CM indicates Mercury

..........Really?!.......Wink .......wow, that must mean it has that hot roddy 4" stroke too. LOL

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2017 at 11:20am
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

I know this post is 7yrs old, but I saw this pic once and could never find it again, just wanted to put it in a spot where I can stare at it every day. Thanks Joe Wadoyado
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2017 at 1:16pm
.......LOL.......

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2017 at 5:57pm
How did you do the Willys cast in the head?  That's cool!

Very nice work.  I have a couple of 85hp motors in my garage now.  I should try this...
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2017 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by tamnalan tamnalan wrote:

......Magic !.......Wink

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2017 at 8:31pm

Originally posted by tamnalan tamnalan wrote:

......Magic !.......Wink

I can see tamnalan was as surprised as I was that Willys made a flathead V-8. I have to give credit where credit is due and that is one "badass" piece of machinery. If it where mine I'd probably park it in the living room so I could look at it.
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2017 at 8:54pm
Curious about how your differential clears the engine? I had a '47 willys Jeep pickup and the 100 hp Ford flathead in it fit like crap. They had put a crude solid steel stop on the axle that hit the frame before the differential hit the engine. Not much travel for the front anyway. So, a lift kit? Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2017 at 12:19am
Springover......(you know,the way everybody says not to go) LOL

The key to any clean installation is having ALL the parts you are going to use then everything can find its place. Putting a flathead in one just because you have one is not a good approach....(just my opinion)

You have the engine/tranny you are going to use. You have the steering setup you are going to use.....and so on. It fit very well but is offset just like the Go Devil would be so it's tight on the driver side. Didn't plan on using a Ross box (from the beginning) that would be a nightmare.

All that just to say solve as many problems as you can BEFORE you start throwing parts around .

Just to give everybody that wants to do it 'because they have one' an idea, the flathead to C4 adapter is roughly $500 and the C4 to Dana 18 adapter is roughly ANOTHER $500.....so that's  $1000 to get it all bolted together on the floor BEFORE you rebuild anything.

SO, you really have to want to. Approve

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2017 at 12:49am

That is SOOO freakin' cool...
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2017 at 1:35am
So rocnroll - is that the motor to the jeep in your avatar?  Same vehicle?  Very nice.

I have a '39 Pickup I'm slowly rebuilding.  I thought hard about putting a T5 behind the flathead but I want to keep the stock enclosed driveshaft setup.  The pickup is actually a "commercial car" - same chassis as the sedans and such.  That combo would be well worth a $1k adaptor kit.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2017 at 3:22am
Yes, same vehicle.

I've got a friend with  a '40 PU with the T-5. Works very well, open drive line though.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2017 at 7:06am

[/QUOTE] If it where mine I'd probably park it in the living room so I could look at it. [/QUOTE]

I would too! LOL

Originally posted by Mike S Mike S wrote:

That is SOOO freakin' cool...

It is even cooler when he takes you for a drive in it!

Edited by berettajeep - 22 Mar. 2017 at 7:15am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12