Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Tech Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flooding

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flooding
    Posted: 18 July 2016 at 1:13pm
So I had an issue the last couple weeks with the carb on my 3b flooding. The first time it happened I was stranded and had to be towed home by my buddy.

I sent the carb out and had it rebuilt with new float valve, needle, seat, etc.

I got the carb back and installed it and it, did some adjustments and it seemed to be fine, but I did not run it down the road. Fast forward a couple days and we took it out for a drive. We made it about 1/4 mile from home before it started flooding again.

I took the carb apart and adjusted the float a bit and made sure the float needle was clean.

I fired it up yesterday afternoon and drove up and down the 500' driveway 30 times and it seemed fine.

Tonight I'm going to change the fuel filter and the rubber lines associate with it, and see if I can rig the stuff up to get a pressure gauge inline from the fuel pump to the carb. Just can't imagine the pump is putting out more pressure, but you never know.

This has a stock carb and fuel pump on it.

Any other ideas you guys can think of?
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2016 at 7:29pm
Sounds like quite a fluke, will be looking forward to learning what you discover so maybe I can avoid this. Weird Situation.
    1945 CJ2a 11495
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2016 at 8:32pm
If you can let it sit a minute, and tap on the fuel bowl, then start, it could be the excess fuel pressure jamming the viton needle in the seat. (it was with mine). When I installed the regulator the condition went away. So did he install viton or steel?
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2016 at 7:41pm
Viton, I put a regulator in last night and it seems to run smoother. I set it at 2.5 lbs.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
 Post Reply Post Reply