Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers > Tech - FAQ
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flywheel and clutch install

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Handler1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2015 at 10:02pm
Over 4 years since the post on this issue and the information is still great and current.  I was actually on the Bulletin Board looking for tech info when I saw this article.  I am embarrassed to admit that I wasn't aware of the need to align the flywheel and the crankshaft.  By pure coincidence, I plan to install my flywheel and clutch on my 46 tomorrow.

I rebuilt a 60 CJ3B 3 years ago and don't remember this.  I had a 50% chance of getting it right.  Maybe I got lucky.

I have 3 different rebuild manuals and not one of them makes mention of this alignment.

Thanks again, you're a life saver.  Once again the CJ2A and CJ3B forums come to the rescue.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2015 at 12:22am
It might be noted that this info applies to those engines that time on the flywheel. Not all do. My 134 L has timing marks on the timing cover and a notch on the crank pulley.  My Flywheel has no timing marks on it.

But then I know everything inside my bellhousing as well as the bellhousing and plate were changed at one time. Since I have the Later bellhousing designed to allow the optional 9.25" clutch.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Handler1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Handler1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2015 at 7:56pm
Thanks guys, I ended up bringing the flywheel in the house, and with the assistance of my LED reading light and magnification 3.0 reading glasses, I was able to spot the arrow on the flywheel.  Subsequently, I was able to find an equally small, faint arrow on the crank side. 

Now I remember, my 60, 3B, which is in storage for the winter has the timing marks on the timing cover.  Getting older has benefits and disadvantages - I forget both what I want to forget and what I want to remember.

thanks again,
don 
mrp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2019 at 5:19pm
Hi! I am in the process of re-installing my flywheel, new clutch, pressure plate, etc. prior to installing my rebuilt (by me) T-90A transmission. I have a 1946 CJ-2A. I have a couple of niddly questions for Ralf. (Great pictures BTW, especially of the nuts and lock washers for the flywheel! I had a very mixed bag of worn out kepp-style nuts, which I'm going to replace.) 
  1. Do the arrows really have to point up when you reassemble? Or, do i just have to make sure they are aligned? 
  2. I notice that the engine plate (Is that what it's called?) between the flywheel and the engine in your 6th picture appears to be painted on the bell housing side. Is that okay to do? Or, should i just put a light film of oil on it to protect it from rusting again? I have painted the other side (towards the engine).
  3. Should there be any kind of seal (RTV?) between the engine plate and the block? And, any kind of seal between the engine plate and the bell housing?
  4. i'm keeping the tapered dowel pins, which uses a bigger nut than what your picture suggested. Mine had no lock washers when I disassembled. Based on your pictures I think i should put some on those pins. Correct?
  5. Finally, did you check for run-out with a dial indicator when you installed your bell housing? I have seen videos and read that this is an important step, but I can't see an opportunity to install corrective dowel pins in a CJ-2A, as you would have on another type of vehicle. Thoughts? 
Many thanks!
Mike P
1946 CJ-2A
Serial Number 69980
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2019 at 5:55pm
Mike,
You'll probably get some answers to your questions from other folks here, but not from Ralph. He died in a plane crash in October.
He was a great guy and a great contributor here. Just didn't want you to think badly of him when he didn't answer your direct questions. 

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2019 at 6:17pm
Also, please read the “sticky” at the top of this section. BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
mrp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2019 at 6:59pm
sorry, i'm new to this. what is a "sticky"?

Mike P
1946 CJ-2A
Serial Number 69980
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2019 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Mike,
You'll probably get some answers to your questions from other folks here, but not from Ralph. He died in a plane crash in October.
He was a great guy and a great contributor here. Just didn't want you to think badly of him when he didn't answer your direct questions. 

Reading back over this I got wondering how Sam, Hillbilly and Ralf are doing..Flying high and still giving each other a hard time I hope!  Time marches on...

Edited by windyhill - 29 Jan. 2019 at 9:29pm
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2019 at 9:47pm
A “sticky” is a post that stays at the top of the section, regardless of other posts that come after it. It usually has “Sticky” in the title. Contains info that needs to stay at the top. In this case, it contains rules for the use of this section of the forum.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
willys1947 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2020 at 8:08am
In your picture it seems that the mark on the fly wheel is on the side where the clutch is. I attached my flywheel already and there is no alignment mark on mine. Can it be that they put it on the side facing the crank shaft?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12