Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

flywheel ring gear/ starter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47heater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: flywheel ring gear/ starter
    Posted: 18 Apr. 2017 at 10:10pm
I confused. I have a 97 tooth ring gear flywheel & 9 tooth bendix starter. Will that work or should I have 10 tooth starter?
Rick R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2017 at 10:39pm
The 97 tooth ring gear uses a 10 tooth starter gear......usually. I took a 6 volt starter to a very reputable generator/starter rebuild shop to have it rebuilt to 12 volts. When I got it back and ready to install I noticed it had a 9 tooth gear on the new bendix. I called the shop and visited with the manager and he assured me the 9 tooth would work and that they had used that set up for years. I installed the starter and have had no problems. That being said I will be ordering a 10 tooth bendix for the next rebuild. Seems I remember trying to install an original 10 tooth starter on a 97 tooth ring gear and it didn't work but for some reason the newer 9 tooth gears do.
RWILLYS (Space R)
Rick R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2017 at 10:44pm
Just checked Walck's web site. Their starter drive comes with a 9 tooth gear and says will replace 9 or 10 tooth on a 97 tooth ring gear
RWILLYS (Space R)
Rick R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2017 at 10:47pm
Oops. Original 9 tooth on 97 tooth ring gear that didn't work
RWILLYS (Space R)
47heater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47heater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2017 at 5:59am
So 10 tooth bendix with a 97 tooth flywheel would be correct? Yes or no? 9 or 10 tooth bendix may also work?
DanStew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanStew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2017 at 2:24pm
I am in the process of changing out my 9 tooth to the correct 10 tooth. My flywheel is really chewed up from the 9 tooth. Not sure when the bendix was swapped to the 9, but I do not think it did any good. I am not sure of the condition the ring gear was prior to any of this, it could have been chewed up before the starter got changed.
Dan Stewart

1948 CJ2a
1991 Wrangler
 Post Reply Post Reply