Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flywheel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carpenter Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flywheel
    Posted: 09 Mar. 2017 at 10:50pm
Help! I'm a newbie here and wondered if I could pick your brain's? I have a '46 CJ2A and currently have the trans and transfer case out for a re-build...Leaks like a sieve, imagine that! I figured that while I'm in this far, may as well replace the clutch assembly etc. I'm ready to pull the flywheel in order to have it resurfaced and get to the rear main seal, while I'm at it. Well, the flywheel didn't get the memo and is not sliding off. My next guess is use some type of flywheel puller but wanted to get some direction before I start ruining things. Any tips or "best way to do this" out there? The various pullers I have aren't large enough to catch the clutch bolt holes. A Friend says that it should just be a push fit and should slide right off? First time and want to do it right.

Thanks!
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2017 at 11:09pm
There are 2 tapered pins that locate the flywheel to the end of the crankshaft and they have been known to rust in place. Try some real penetrating oil on them or the 50/50 ATF transmission oil mix. Wait a day or 2.
Put a few of the nuts back on loosely and use a 2x4 and a hammer to break it loose. Good to keep your toes out of the way if it falls off.
uncamonkey
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2017 at 12:16am
I just removed one last weekend.  No amount of soaking or plastic mallet would jar it loose, so I put a big three jaw puller on it... and tightened the puller by hand and it dropped right off the two tapered pins.

When in doubt- ask, lol... you are definitely amongst friends here ;)
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Carpenter Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carpenter Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2017 at 12:17am
Thanks Unca! Will give it a go.
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2017 at 12:36am
Used to be one of my jobs and we have all fought these beasts.
We are here to help. It's sort of like pulling a rear hub off, sometimes they just slide off of the axle shaft and at other times you stay out of harms reach as they dance across the garage floor.
uncamonkey
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2017 at 12:48am
Love to see some pics, and dont forget the database ;)
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2017 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

Try some real penetrating oil on them or the 50/50 acetone/ ATF transmission oil mix.

FIFY
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
mullen46cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mullen46cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2017 at 1:29am
Note position of flywheel before removing.  Yours should have timing marks on engine side and you want to be able to see them after flywheel is re-installed.

Bruce Mullen   Harrisville, WV       

46 CJ2A column shift SOLD 07-15
48 CJ2A with Newgren lift
55 CJ5

ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2017 at 4:30am
This may help you see what you are up to. I would soak it with Kroll, Seafoam Penetrant or PB. Patience, Grasshopper.
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/flywheel-and-clutch-install_topic15770.html

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/flywheel-and-clutch-install_topic15770.html

1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2017 at 12:15pm
A wood block and hammer and alternate from side to side, back and forth. It's fairly heavy and will get damaged if it falls so prepare for that. Position the crank so the timing marks are in the timing hole, or mark it so you don't put it back on 180 degrees off. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2017 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

A wood block and hammer and alternate from side to side, back and forth. It's fairly heavy and will get damaged if it falls so prepare for that. Position the crank so the timing marks are in the timing hole, or mark it so you don't put it back on 180 degrees off. John

Same approach I use. To guard against it hitting the floor, put a couple nuts back on...loosely.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carpenter Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2017 at 7:08pm
Update! VICTORY IS MINE!! And yours! After reading all of your suggestions and links, I looked for a steering wheel puller and at $100 or so, I decided on a simpler way. I cut 2 long oak wedges that were 14" long and tapered from 1/8" to 1 1/4". I figured that if I did any damage it would be to the wood long before the steel. I positioned the witness marks as you described and found which studs were the dowel pins, then soaked them with P.B. Rustbuster. After a few false starts, I got the wedges between the flywheel and block (sandwiching the flywheel cover against the block) then started driving them in, alternating between wedges. Also used a wood block and hammer to tap on the flywheel. When the wedges seemed really solid, I waited a few minutes then continued to alternate hits, waited again and heard it "pop" as it broke loose. Slid right off after that. Bear in mind that the engine was still in place. Leave it to a wood-butcher to come up with a new twist! So... Thank you all and I'm sure I will be back here with more stupid questions! Fore- warned is fore-armed (I think is how that goes)!
mullen46cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mullen46cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2017 at 1:40am
Congratulations!  And I agree that the collective knowledge of this group is awesome.
Bruce Mullen   Harrisville, WV       

46 CJ2A column shift SOLD 07-15
48 CJ2A with Newgren lift
55 CJ5

cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2017 at 10:07pm
Good show!

Welcome aboard.

Please keep in mind that asking "stupid" questions is better than breaking things. Ask away.
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2017 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

Position the crank so the timing marks are in the timing hole, or mark it so you don't put it back on 180 degrees off. John

Great advice, also check starter ring gear for wear, replace or swap it 180 or move wear to transmission side to get more mileage on ring gear. 

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carpenter Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2017 at 1:53pm
Need your opinions again... trans is fried. Lots of wear and damage to gears. The good news is the transfer case and PTO are all good except for bearings and seals/gaskets. A buddy is a machinist and is checking everything out for me. My plan is to get all parts from Novak. Any opinions? Also flywheel good and getting surfaced locally along with starter rebuild or repair. Can I use old 6 volt starter with 12 volt conversion? Was told that I could...? Lastly, any thoughts on best place to get clutch kit? Want to put in quality parts and have had issues with NAPA parts before on the daily driver Ford. Want to do this right and not go in there again!

Thanks again!
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2017 at 2:15pm
A 6 volt starter will work on a converted to 12 volt system. Keep the engine in tune so that it will start easily. I've had a 6 volt starter in use for 20 years and it does just fine.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2017 at 2:34pm
Fort Wayne Clutch and Drivelines. 800-258-8243. Measure your width on clutch disc and pressure plate. Novak has good stuff. So does Peter DeBella.
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>