Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ode to Johnny Cash . . . . and Bubba

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rballagh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ode to Johnny Cash . . . . and Bubba
    Posted: 09 July 2009 at 9:06pm
I picked this up a couple of nights ago and it reminded me of Johnny Cash's "One Piece at a Time".  It was registered as a 1942 Ford Willys.  But as you can see there isn't anything left from a 42.  The engine looks to be from a CJ3A based on the front mount plate and serial # 3J21600. I believe the frame is also from a 3A. Missing the Body and SN tags, and the ACM numbers are gone - welded tailgate panel and front gusset was hacked for the tilt steering.

The good news is I got it for next to nothing (a trade that I paid under $300 for) and I was able to get it running in about 15 minutes.  It had been sitting in pasture for about a year and a half and the fuel line was cut, the oil pressure gauge was gone.  I used a coat hanger I found in the tub to connect a battery I brought to the coil, connected a 1qt gear lube container filled with gas to the YF carb (fuel pump was missing and the hole sealed) and relied on gravity feed. Held my thumb over the oil line, engaged the starter and it fired right up Thumbs Up.  The first 10 seconds were a little rough, but then it idled as pretty as can be. 

My original thought was just a parts jeep, but since I got it home I've come to appreciate all the undocumented history performed by Bubba and plenty of high school kids over the years LOL.  You can tell that this jeep has seen a lot of fun - evident from the poorly executed SOA conversion, the cadillac tilt steering, the headlight visors, and the visor on the fabricated windshield.  It's been both cherished and abused. 

Oh, and it does have the original front seats (unfortunately they were flipped upside down, cut, and welded in as back seats Confused).

My wife has been mentioning something about an intervention party for me. I don't know for sure what that means, but sounds like it should be fun!  I just hope I have time to get at least one jeep running well so I can take the party guests for a ride!

Edited by rballagh - 09 July 2009 at 9:08pm
Ryan
48 CJ2A #176544 "Rodeo Red"
Mixed salad CJ3A mostly

berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2009 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by rballagh rballagh wrote:

My wife has been mentioning something about an intervention party for me. I don't know for sure what that means, but sounds like it should be fun!  I just hope I have time to get at least one jeep running well so I can take the party guests for a ride!

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL  Sounds like fun!!!!!

Jeep does not look that bad for the price.

LOL
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2009 at 11:03pm
That last pic says it all.. . Have fun!
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2009 at 12:24am

The engine looks to be from a CJ3A based on the front mount plate and serial # 3J21600.

Very nice Jeep for the price! Could you get the engine block casting number and the numbers and letter cast on the drivers side of the block down low near the rear for me?

Thanks!!
Mike Gardner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2009 at 1:00am
damn, most of the time when i work on mine that jumps into my head. "take me for a ride...hank"LOL
1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
Rob H. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2009 at 1:42am
Nice looking jeep, I agree with Bill about the last pic, bet ya got a smile like that tooThumbs Up.
Rob H.

1948 CJ2A
bits and pieces of three 3A's
1967-72 Chevy C/10 kinda combined them LOL

rballagh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rballagh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2009 at 1:45am
Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL  Sounds like fun!!!!!

Jeep does not look that bad for the price.

LOL

Hey Beretta - Would you like to come to the party?  After over-hearing my wife on the phone with her sister it didn't sound quite so fun - it sure might be good to have a fellow jeeper there LOL.

There were some well done repairs/mods to this as well as some poor ones.  The hat channels were all replaced with angle iron and look to be a good improvement as far as the structure and stability goes.  The body appears to have been skimmed with bondo and then painted with about 16 layers of paint - the door seam is none existant!  The front and back floor panels were covered with sheet metal (poorly).  I haven't had a chance to dig into it too much, but so far there aren't any big surprises from my initial viewing.

F Bill - Yeah my 5 year old immediately claimed it as his. Makes it a little tougher for me to part out. . . . also makes it a little tougher for Momma to say no! Wink

Bob W - The casting number looks to be 
1-7 (pass rear)
641087-L-W10 A N1-CR-N2

Drivers side rear the only thing I could see was "10"  right above the oil pressure outlet. 

If these numbers don't sound right or if you want me to take some pictures, just let me know. I'm trying to figure out what I have as well.

Mike G - Some day I hope to have those lyrics pop in my head. Right now though it might be a ways off Wink.

Ryan
Mixed salad CJ3A mostly

rballagh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rballagh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2009 at 1:58am
Originally posted by Rob H. Rob H. wrote:

Nice looking jeep, I agree with Bill about the last pic, bet ya got a smile like that tooThumbs Up.

Rob H - I have to admit that I do have that smile.  It's fun to have a jeep that I don't feel the least bit guilty about modifying - and don't have to worry about my three boys scratching or denting when they get older.  I'm still undecided on the fate of this one, but it is growing on me as a farm/ranch jeep . . . now I just need to get the farm or ranch Wink.
Ryan
Mixed salad CJ3A mostly

Cammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2009 at 2:33am
Wow...  just one look at that jeep and the first thing I think of is "Someone put a LOT of hours into making that jeep just right."  Whether we like the mods or not, you have to appreciate the amount of time and work that someone did.  I mean Cadillac tilt steering!!!  I never would have thought of that one.  And the body isn't factory, but it looks pretty straight.  You could definitely turn this into a mean trail machine with no guilt whatsoever.  Nice buy.

My Email

CJ-2a #108844 ACM #97951

ovrlnd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovrlnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2009 at 4:31am
neat addition to have fun with.
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2009 at 1:29pm

Bob W - The casting number looks to be 
1-7 (pass rear)
641087-L-W10 A N1-CR-N2

Those numbers look good for a CJ-3A engine. At some point the casting date moved to the drivers side but it looks like yours is still on the passenger side of the block.

Thanks!
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2009 at 1:34pm
BTW engine serial number 3J21600 would be from a 1949 CJ-3A.
 Post Reply Post Reply