Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sunset red wheel example

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sunset red wheel example
    Posted: 31 Jan. 2010 at 6:30pm

This wheel is on e-bay now @$130.00   Good example of Sunset red and black pinstripe.

Uncle Steve, and I hate it when people say   " boy are you lucky " WHEN in fact..The harder you work, the luckier you are
randyscycle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randyscycle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2010 at 8:34pm

How timely! I am in the process of prepping my wheels and getting them ready for paint. Sunset Red is what they originally were.

Thanks for posting!

It isn't leaking, it's just marking its territory.
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2010 at 8:48pm
I will be among the first to say that colors on computer monitors are extremely unreliable, but, having said that, I found the auction on eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150407614144&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en and there is also a picture of the back side of the wheel.  If that color is close at all, it is way too red to be Sunset Red.  Sunset Red was/is a burnt orange, not a true red.

Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randyscycle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2010 at 8:51pm
 Knowing what digital photography can hide/alter, I'd say its close though. The reason I say that is because I've just spent several evenings blasting my wheels, and one has that almost exact color showing in one of the seams. I know that Sunset Red is supposed to be a pumpkin sort of red leaning more toward Orange, but this is really close to what is on that wheel in the auction. See the spot at around 8 o'clock:

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2010 at 9:43pm
Here's a photo of an early one with a wheels that show the color more as it was.  With photos, we'll never get an apples to apples comparison.

The eBay wheel appears closer to Harvard Red  rather than Sunset Red. 

On the small spot at the "seam" of your wheel, the color does look pumpkin to me.

If a color sample cannot reasonably be described as having a pumpkin or burnt orange cast to it, then it does not fit my recollection of the color on the wheels of my first 2A back in the day (1957) when it was 11 years old.  I did not know the name of the color at the time, but red would not have been a description I would have used.  Imagine my surprise when I later learned that thecolor was called Sunset Red.

I won't push the point further since we don't know what the wheels on eBay look like in the flesh.  My first post was simply a caution to anyone thinking of bidding to capture a sample of Sunset Red.  Of course, if you buy it, I'd be delighted to visit and see it in person!
Sam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randyscycle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2010 at 9:53pm

True, seeing one in person is the only way to truly verify. An unrestored, NOS wheel wouldn't hurt either......Smile

Now, here is another shot of the back of one of my wheels before I blast off the rest of the paint. This wheel is a "Motor Wheel" manufactured wheel and I believe (can't definitely verify) that it is original. That is to say that the red is original to that wheel, not necessarily original to my '46 2A. That paint is as hard as nails to blast off, and is definitely more red than orange. It isn't primer. These wheels were oversprayed at some point in white.

When I blasted the front, I did find a slight trace of a line around the center too, leading me to believe that this is an original color.

I also take into account 60+ years of weathering, handling and other factors, but I also wonder if in typical Jeep fashion, that maybe whatever was at hand was used, and as a result there were some variances in colors? Just a thought.

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2010 at 9:56pm
Looks pretty close to Rustoleum Safety Red in that picture....LOL

Sam, where is that jeep displayed?

Randy, I don't know, man.........I'd think an orangey red would weather more toward yellow than red, but that's just my opinion.

Edited by rocnroll - 31 Jan. 2010 at 9:58pm
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2010 at 9:59pm
Chad, here http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/some-photos_topic6255_post44933.html#44933

Sorry - I said I wouldn't say more on this, but I thought I'd post two more photos.  One is the back side of the eBay wheel

and woodshopguy's wheel

Huge differences in appearances but, again, I do not know what the eBay wheel looks like to the naked eye>

Uncle Steve, with all this discussion, is the eBay wheel yours?  If so, does it look at all orange in the flesh or is the phot on eBay faithful to the color you see?
Sam

uncle steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2010 at 10:05pm
I am using my laptop with HD, and depending how  I change the monitor angle.. I get dark red to burnt orange...  WinkWink
Uncle Steve, and I hate it when people say   " boy are you lucky " WHEN in fact..The harder you work, the luckier you are

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2010 at 10:39pm
Cry The wheel is NOT mine,   I wish it was, because I need 1 more 16 inch for a spare..  Way out of my price range..   NEVER intended to start such a discussion.. I just felt that it looks like the rim I painted safety orange ( Rusto... ) for a trial..
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2010 at 10:51pm

First off you better make sure you get a matching wheel ....... kelsey hayes or motor wheel..

The two Sam has posted are two different types as a example

Too many jeeps.....GOT JEEP ?
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2010 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Looks pretty close to Rustoleum Safety Red in that picture....LOL

Sam, where is that jeep displayed?

Roc, that looks like Marski's old 2A (now owned by Daron Wanberg). I would say that is probably at camp Jeep. That particular Jeep was used at a taxi cab company in NYC. Its an unrestored original. Mr Willys Motors can probably elaborate more.

Bill
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2010 at 12:29am
in my project thread are close-ups of the backside of some original solid wheels that have original Sunset Red on them before i bead blasted (OMG. did i strip original paint? !!!!!  you bet i did !!!) them and repainted them....

Ron Marksi has a very nice example of an early '45 2A :) very plausible unit to use as a blueprint..
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

jeepdaddybrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepdaddybrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2010 at 2:04am
i have found on some websites there are willys color charts and from what i recall in doing research for my own sunset red wheels, the one on ebay looks to be correct taking into consideration weathering and age. 

Edited by jeepdaddybrian - 01 Feb. 2010 at 2:05am
47 cj2a # 94348
48 cj2a #193443

http://bshockleywillysrestopics.myphotoalbum.com/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randyscycle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2010 at 2:13am
 After looking at my wheels closely again, and then this thread, two of my wheels are Motor Wheel and two are Kelsey Hayes. The difference I can see being the center mounting "pad" when viewed at the lug nuts and from behind.

Now, noticing that, these wheels may have been painted in the past. Either that, or each style wheel was available in the same red, because they all were the same shade of red and had evidence of a pinstripe on the front.  If so it was a good job and they must have stripped them completely before they painted them, because there was only one layer of red beneath the white.

Now I am a bit confused........but that's nothing new.Tongue
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2010 at 2:58am
I have some very good examples of Sunset Red on my original 45 wheels.  They have been repainted once and only the outside.  So the inside still has the original color.  The area that is the best is the inside where the wheel attaches to the hub.  So the elements never really effected this area.  I will get some pics up soon as they are out in the shed right now.  But they are pretty much close to Woodshopguy's wheel that Sam posted.
Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2010 at 2:27am
Here are two wheels I bought today... They are original note back side
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2010 at 2:31am
Yes, those two are definitely Sunset Red.
Sam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>