Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rustoleum vs Krylon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rustoleum vs Krylon
    Posted: 04 Apr. 2011 at 11:34pm
I have always been a dedicated Rustoleum buyer.  I don't know why, perhaps because that is what Lowe's sells and I prefer Lowe's.  Anyway, I was at the fastener store the other day and I was buying some lock washers.  I realized I forgot my cash and I didn't want to make the guy eat the credit charge for me on an .80 cent purchase, so I grabbed a can of Krylon Industrial red primer and a can of semi gloss black in the same "idustrial" can.  $4.49 a can by the way. 
I did some painting with it today and I must say it does very well and perhaps better then my trusted Rustoleum does.  For one the primer dries in 15 seconds or so it seemed.  The semil went on smoothly and dried rather quickly as well.  But all in all the Krylon seemed to cure faster then the Rustoleum.  I have had several Rustoleum painted parts that I have dropped on accident a few days later and the paint was still soft enough to push or smudge and of course I have to redo it over again.  I tested the Krylon in the same manner after only an hour or so of drying and it was fully cured and did not smudge or push like the Rustoleum did. 
The Rustoleum now has a supper spray tip that applies the paint very fast and to much in some cases if you are not careful.  I do like the Krylon tip that allows for verticle or horizontal spray patterns by flipping the tip.
Just thought I would share my recent test.  What are the preferences out there Rustoleum  vs   Krylon???
I am speeking of spray rattle cans of course.  I do use the Rustoleum in my gun and have not tried Krylon in that way just yet.
Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
woody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2011 at 12:30am
I have noticed the same thing myself .The rustoleum rusty metal primer needs cure much longer.
I think there is more paint than thinner in the rustoleum.Krylon goes on nice and dries fast, but I think rustoleum has abetter base coat.I'll stick with rusto.
ovrlnd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovrlnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2011 at 12:52am
I have noticed the same. I make sure to let the rustoleum sit and cure for a few days and it's good to go with nice durability.
garage gnome View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garage gnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2011 at 1:09am
I prefer Krylon.
Nate
1953 3A, 1949 3A, 1947 2A, 1918 IHC Titan 10-20, 1905 IHC Famous, other hit n misses
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2011 at 2:17am
I actually use duplicolor engine paint. Looks like powder coat when dry.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
Haines Garage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haines Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2011 at 3:33am

I have been a painting contractor for 20 years. The longer a paint or primer takes to "cure" the harder the finish is... At least thats what the Old School Guys tell me, and I believe them!!

munkjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote munkjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2011 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Night0wl Night0wl wrote:

I realized I forgot my cash and I didn't want to make the guy eat the credit charge
That was nice of Ya, at my Dad's store if some whipped out a credit card on a purchase less than one dollar, he wouldn't take the credit card, would tell them to pay him the next time they bought something. The credit card charges the merchant a minimum of 75 cents per transaction. All of us end up paying more for goods because of credit card usage, but they don't give you a discount for paying cash, so charge away.
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2011 at 3:52pm
The rustoleum red primer contains fish oil makes it dry slower, and is why it stinks if you bake it in the oven to accelerate drying. Look at the % of iron oxide if you want to evaluate rust preventative features. Yes, the more solvent, and the slower it evaporates, the longer it takes to dry.

The Krylon ruddy brown does dry faster, seems to have less rust preventive properties than the rustoleum primer.

I sometimes use Rustoleum Primer and Krylon top coat.

The duplicolor is GREAT for underhood areas. I recently painted an entire CJ3A with spray can.
Within 2 months the bright yellow turned WHITE.

I prefer a self etching Zinc Chromate primer though.
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2011 at 3:18pm
I found out that one does not mix the two   caused bubbles  because one dries slow  and the other is fast.   If the slow one is on the bottom you get the pealing.   If the fast one is on the bottom less chance of that because it dried.
Ed
cj2a lefty
fritz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2011 at 4:40pm
I believe krylon and duplicolor are from the same company.  I paint everything that neds black Duplicolor semi gloss engine enamel.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2011 at 5:28pm
I remember Johnny Bench used to do a TV comercial for Krylon rattle can paint. He would spray something, then rub it with a new baseball to show how fast the stuff would dry. No paint on the baseball, of course.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
uncle steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2011 at 8:24pm
May I say   Eastwood.....
Uncle Steve, and I hate it when people say   " boy are you lucky " WHEN in fact..The harder you work, the luckier you are
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2011 at 8:46pm

I don't have an Eastwood down the street like I do Lowes or other stores.  I have ordered and used Eastwood paints and will use them again.  But at $13 a can before shipping, it may not be worth spending that on certain parts.  I will probably stick with Rustoleum but I was just amazed at how fast that Krylon dried.  My first time using it by the way.  I don't know if there is a difference in the fact that I am bought Krylon "Industrial" vs the standard product.

Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
uncle steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2011 at 8:50pm
Wink   My Eastwood comment was meant in jest..  $$$$  Great paint, but as you say not for just any old parts.. 
Uncle Steve, and I hate it when people say   " boy are you lucky " WHEN in fact..The harder you work, the luckier you are
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2011 at 1:51pm

I gotta add my 2 cents here. I have 2 racecars and 1960 Willys pickup truck, I guess I am cheap but I thin rustoleum with regular paint thinner (Home Depot), put it into a spray gun and go. Actually the Willys truck I paint with a brush and a spray can. The ole girl is 51 years old...she looks great from 20 feet away. This way I wont cry when she gets scratched. I dont use the truck for anything so I guess as long as there is paint on it it wont rust right???

I am the squirrel....
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2011 at 4:14pm
You are ABSOLUTELY correct.

If you use a slow drying primer and a fast drying top coat you will have blisters.

I thought about mentioning that the Rustoleum was likely an old fashioned acrylic enamel, and some of the Krylon is a laquer.

You definitely want to do a small scale test before mixing brands and types.
Haines Garage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haines Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2011 at 12:52am
What do you like for off the shelf rattle can engine primer and paint??????
HowardScott66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HowardScott66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2017 at 1:12am
Both of them are not worth buying. And it is not because of the paint. It is simply because the nozzle design in both brands can easily clog up. I wasted over 100$ worth of spray paint cans that were almost full or over three quarters full of paint. I have decided to use an off brand called COLOR PLACE because they still use the old and more RELIABLE spray nozzle design. More importantly they know as well as other off brands that trying to recreate the nozzle for a better spray pattern is ludicrous. SPRAY TECHNIQUE 101 works better and will always be better. So if you really want a good spray paint results find and define off brands that still use the only real nozzle design that works every time all of the time old spray nozzle design.   
howard C Scott
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>