Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ford Parts??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ford Parts??
    Posted: 16 Aug. 2012 at 10:12pm

Here's a topic that I'd like to hear more about:

I have a Ford hood hinge on my jeep.  The hinge is stamped with an "F" from the Ford factory. 

This seems to be the only picture of it that I have ... you might be able to see the "F" stamp between the 2nd and 3rd bolt on the hinge:

http://users.tellurian.net/vanorden/000_0133.jpg

I'll look around to see if I have any better pictures.

Anyway, my point is this ... as has been documented somewhere on this site, Willys bought some jeep parts from Ford after military production ended on the Ford GPW (and the Willys MB) in 1945. 
Those parts ended up in the civilian assembly-line after the war.  In the conversations that I have had with "jeep folks" regarding  these parts, they are usually referred to as "buy-back parts".

So far, I've only been able to find one "buy-back" part on my jeep; the hood hinge.

Does anyone else have buy-back parts (parts with an "F" stamp) on their jeep?  If so, what do you have?

Any history and stories related to buy-back parts would be interesting too.

One word of caution; I have to keep on eye on my "GPW friends" when they are near my jeep.  Especially when they have tools in their hands!!  So, if you have "buy-backs", be on the look out!!

Tongue
chris

2A #13396
Outback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2012 at 2:17am
Interesting topic. I too would be captivated to hear more on this. Going to look at my hood hinge now Embarrassed 
Dunc

46 CJ2A # 16021 (Oakley)
05 TJ Rubicon (Prairie Prowler)
M101CDN trailer
Westman Jeep Assn & FFCMB
Manitoba Canada
Outback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2012 at 3:03am
So it is true. But mine has been defaced, probably by the factory...

Dunc

46 CJ2A # 16021 (Oakley)
M101CDN trailer
Manitoba Canada
chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2012 at 12:13am
HaHa Outback! Smile

I wonder who defaced the F ... Ford or Willys?  I'm betting it was Ford. 

Henry (Ford) was pretty proprietary regarding anything produced at Ford ... hence the "F" stamp on the WWII Ford jeeps. 

I'm a little surprised there aren't more comments on this thread.  I was under the impression that the Ford parts were pretty common early in the 2A production run. 

Maybe that was not the case.

I'm going on an outing with my jeep tomorrow, and I'm going to ask around on this topic a little (I'm going to the MTA/Red Ball picnic at Sven's farm in NJ .... if anyone else is planning to be there look for me .. my OD 46 2A column-shifter is pretty easy to find in the sea of MBs and GPWs). 

If I hear anything new regarding buy-back parts I'll be sure to share.

Come on folks!! ... anyone else have Ford parts?
chris

2A #13396
plowmb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plowmb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2012 at 5:01pm
So does your hood have Willys stamped on it on the sides or is it bare? 
Glenn
Outback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2012 at 2:48am
Yes it has the willys stamp on the sides.

I too am suprised by the lack of comments or proofs. It is an interesting topic that can not be denied.
Dunc

46 CJ2A # 16021 (Oakley)
M101CDN trailer
Manitoba Canada
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2012 at 3:01pm
A topic search for "Ford" or "f-script" will find many prior discussions.
Mike Gardner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2012 at 3:19am
Got one on my 45. The waffle stamp and f are really rusted but you can see it.
1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
QuebecJeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QuebecJeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2012 at 6:58pm
I'm not sure if it's original or not with the jeep but I got F mark on my king pin.
It's hard to say if that is original. Don't know how many repair/rebuild was done on my jeep prior I own it.

Edited by QuebecJeep - 17 Sep. 2012 at 7:00pm
Please keep the CJ3A alive!
Leroys46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leroys46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2012 at 7:14pm
I have lots of bolts with the f stamp on them, havent looked at the hood hinge but my head and thermostat housing both have the f on them. 
46 Willys CJ2A that finally stopped going backwards in progress and is moving forward.

Mark 47 Willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark 47 Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2012 at 12:15am
Saw on the history ch. Ford was good friends (business wise) with Hitler before WWII? First time I ever herd something like this, anyone else? I thinking along the track of building the war equipment.
Haines Garage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haines Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2012 at 2:40am
Funny thing, I have taken apart many a Willys Jeep , and have found multiple F script parts..Its like a heart beat, because there are guys out there that want them and are ready to pay....However I am a big Willys fan. MB or GPW.... and the crowd roars...Im on the MB side. Willys was the original supplier of the Jeep to the US Army. Remember that. I may be in trouble now......Ouch
Haines Garage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haines Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2012 at 2:41am
Originally posted by Mark 47 Willys Mark 47 Willys wrote:

Saw on the history ch. Ford was good friends (business wise) with Hitler before WWII? First time I ever herd something like this, anyone else? I thinking along the track of building the war equipment.
Do tell sound like a mutiny!!!!!
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2012 at 3:07pm
Remember that a lot of surplus parts were floating around after the war and several suppliers were selling NOS replacement parts for jeeps. Some of the magic F marks made their way onto jeeps in garages all over the country, and may not have actually been on the 2A when it came off the assembly line.
Back in the day, JC Whitney (Warshawskys if you lived in Chicago) sold a whole section of jeep parts to fit the MB, GPW, and 2A and quite often the parts were sold as fitting all three whether they actually were correct or not. They still were selling quite a lot of flatfender stuff in the late 70's and it is conceivable some was still WWII surplus, reboxed, of course in those  white noname boxes they loved using.  I think I have heard that Crown started out by selling the old government surplus parts, which now has almost completely been replaced by offshore built stuff.

The other thing that happened all over was that grandpa Bubba would use whatever parts he had to build a jeep from, not at all caring that the jeep ended up bing a total salad of wwII and postwar lineage.  It seemed every town had someone who collected and rebuilt old jeeps for hunting jeeps and made a small living from the process. Bill Oakes was famous for rooting these guys or their heirs out and selling off the accumulations of extra parts they always seemed to have. I visited one such mother lode and was impressed just how many jeep parts would fit in a suburban basement.  

The hood hinge mark is pretty common, I think ACM must have had a large batch of those. That is definitely a factory part.

Edited by F Bill - 23 Sep. 2012 at 3:16pm
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Post Reply Post Reply