Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TC & Tranny Fluid Fill

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TC & Tranny Fluid Fill
    Posted: 09 Oct. 2012 at 1:49am
I read before on a link/post that their is a certain procedure when adding Gear oil to the TC (Dana 18) and the 3 Speed Transmission.

I have both fill plugs out and the TC plug is higher up than the Transmission plug.

Do you fill the TC until fluid runs out of the Transmission plug?

Thanks,
Charles
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2012 at 2:02am
Fill them both independently.
BOULDER 48 2A
dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2012 at 2:35am
Terry...fill them both until they are full....there isn't a cavity that when the fluid reaches a certain level
they are full?
dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2012 at 3:01am
Terry...this is on Specifications of cj-2a.

Drilled passages are provided between the transmission and transfer case housings for circulation of the lubricating oil to provide unit lubrication of the two assemblies.

I'm trying to figure out, how you go about doing that.  The T.C. fill plug is higher up on the jeep then the Transmission Plug.

If you fill each independently and they have passages between them, the lower fill plug will be full when the higher Plug would still be low.
Abend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2012 at 3:14am
It's been a few months since I rebuilt mine, but I believe those holes are located above the fill line in the transmission if the jeep is on level ground. No oil flowed at all from my transmission into the transfer case when I filled it.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2012 at 3:22am
When you drain and replace,  my understanding is that you should fill both to fill holes.   But to maintain level - ->  you may only have to check and fill the T/C.   Under operation,  the oil is "pumped" from the T/C to the transmission,  then drains back to T/C thru a inter-connecting hole,  at same level as transmission fill hole.

This thread explains it well.

An exerpt from it:

Originally posted by sean sean wrote:

Originally posted by Bob W Bob W wrote:

Here is a bit of information that Willys did publish....
Awesome Bob! Is there any other description to go along with that drawing? ie, I'm wondering what they considered holed "B", "D" & "E" to be.

I think I understand willys "thinking" now.

The holes did more than eliminate the "unintended oil migration" issue from earlier non-drilled cases. It actively promoted intentional circulation!

This photo is close enough that you can see the lowest holes ("A" & "B") are right at the transmission fill plug level. This would guarantee that the transmission could not remain "over full" in the long run. Holes are marked to correspond to Bobs drawing:

Not shown in the drawing is that hole "A" in the transfer case does not line up w/hole "A" in the transmission. It is higher, and closer to centerline, than the transmission hole, with a channel cut to connect the two holes (lower left arrow).

Hole "A" in the transfer case coincides w/the max mesh point of the gears, as indicated by the drawing. When oil is squeezed out of the gears, it enters hole "A" in the transfer case, flows down the channel and into the transmission.

Hole "B" is the oil return passage to the transfer case.

So why did they implement an "active" circulation system? To prevent a trasmission too-low situation: via the scenario Greg posed earlier.

When going uphill, oil would flow from transmission to transfer case, leaving the transmission low when returning to level ground.

Since the earlier "unintentional" migration was a very slow process (and didn't always happen), it could have left the transmission too low for many miles. By "actively" pumping oil to the transmission, it would bring it back to full much sooner.

Bottom line, each case oil level can and should be checked independently.

Sean

Edited by JeepFever - 09 Oct. 2012 at 3:55am
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2012 at 3:29am
Originally posted by Abend Abend wrote:

It's been a few months since I rebuilt mine, but I believe those holes are located above the fill line in the transmission if the jeep is on level ground. No oil flowed at all from my transmission into the transfer case when I filled it.

I think that certain years are different,  early ones may not have had inter-connecting hole at transmission fill level.

Mine definately drains from transmission to transfer.  I literally have pulled off the shift tower, (with tranny fill plug in place),  poured in the oil until it drains from the transfer fill hole.   Then,  after letting everything settle,  both are at full level.
Abend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2012 at 3:37am
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

I think that certain years are different,  early ones may not have had inter-connecting hole at transmission fill level.

Mine definately drains from transmission to transfer.  I literally have pulled off the shift tower, (with tranny fill plug in place),  poured in the oil until it drains from the transfer fill hole.   Then,  after letting everything settle,  both are at full level.

To clarify, mine has the holes, but the lowest one is very slightly higher than the fill level. If I had added a little additional oil, it would have dripped through.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2012 at 4:13am
Originally posted by Abend Abend wrote:

To clarify, mine has the holes, but the lowest one is very slightly higher than the fill level. If I had added a little additional oil, it would have dripped through.

Good clarification.    

On mine,  if I pump oil into transmission fill hole,  it will start come out,  but if I plug it quickly - ->  let it set for a while - -> come back later and open the fill plug - ->  it will not drain out.*

* I assume because the excess went to transfer case.

Edited by JeepFever - 09 Oct. 2012 at 4:15am
dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2012 at 4:26am
Abend & JeepFever...Thank You for the posts and explanation of how the fluids transverse between the two.

I was almost 99% certain there was somthing unusual about filling the two.

After I got the Cj, I read a lot of information about it, so I could check it out and that is when I took note of the fluid level circumstances between the T.C. and Transmission.

I have just finished changing the front brake components and was eager to test them on the road today.  I'm glad I waited to find out before driving it. When I checked the TC and Transmission levels, both were low and I knew there was a certain way they were enteracted.

Charles

Charles

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2012 at 4:48am
Originally posted by dodjh dodjh wrote:

When I checked the TC and Transmission levels, both were low and I knew there was a certain way they were enteracted.

Not to beat this to death,  but,  if they BOTH were low,  then that goes against the theory.

How much oil did it take to fill them?   It might make sense if it only took a small amount to fill transmission.

It would also make sense if this Jeep has not been run for quite a while,  (on level roads etc.),  so has not had a chance to pump up oil into a leaking transmission.

67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2012 at 12:05pm
I'll throw another wrench into the situation.  Can't you just go by the manual on quantities of oil for the tc and transmission?  That's what I did or is that wrong?
dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2012 at 3:54pm
67charger....No, that is not wrong and I looked at the capacities but I am just topping them off.

I will do a complete drain after I fill them, pressure wash each, then drive it a while to determine if there is a leak in either one.

If there is a leak, no need to fill them w/o fixing that

Thank you for your,'wrench'.

Charles
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2012 at 4:26am
Originally posted by 67charger 67charger wrote:

I'll throw another wrench into the situation.  Can't you just go by the manual on quantities of oil for the tc and transmission?  That's what I did or is that wrong?

That is a very good way to fill after draining everything,  but it would be nice to understand how to check later,  especially for those of us with leaks, or OD units.

I am still convinced that we only need to check the T/C fill plug.

Today I pulled the Tranny plug.  Level was approx. .05-.10" below the hole,  just like every time I have ever checked it.    I also pulled the T/C plug, and oil came flowing out.  (I am assuming because the last two times I filled the tranny until overflowing, and that excess oil ended up in the T/C).

So far my "adds" are staying ahead of the leaks. LOL
dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2012 at 4:58pm
JeepFever....I removed both fill plugs and started to fill the T/C..it is very difficult to get gear oil in it.

I put a fuel line hose on the nipple of my squeeze bootle of gear oil.  After adding about a quart, my pinkie still doesn't touch the level.

I decided to go to the Tranny side and didn't get much in due to the fact that the hose kept slipping off of the tip of the squeeze bottle. ( have to squeeze hard and the hose would pop off unless I held it on.  I thought about putting a hose clamp on but then it couldn't breathe in order to fill the squeeze botttle with air for another squeeze)

I have a pump can with gear oil on rollers and it has a metal end bent to a 90 degree angle.
The plan is to bring it to the jeep instead of going up to it to fill the individual bottles!

Charles

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2012 at 6:39pm

JeepFever....I removed both fill plugs and started to fill the T/C..it is very difficult to get gear oil in it.

I have a hand "pump" that screws onto a one-gallon container of oil.   It looks like a big version of a hand-cleaner dispenser,   except with a hose on the output nozzle.   Works very well.

I put a fuel line hose on the nipple of my squeeze bootle of gear oil.  After adding about a quart, my pinkie still doesn't touch the level.

Wow,  that was almost empty then.   Shocked  I think 3 pints (1.5 quarts) is total capacity.    Good thing you are adding oil before driving.
Abend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2012 at 10:37pm
WRMorrison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRMorrison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2012 at 10:58pm
That pump will make you forearms look like Popeye's too, pumping all that thick 80w90...lol.

-WRM
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>