Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1/2 Scale CJ-2A Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FLYINGFISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1/2 Scale CJ-2A Project
    Posted: 22 Nov. 2012 at 6:53pm
Hello to All

I unfortunately do not own a CJ-2A, not many around where I live and due to the high asking price of those around here in SA they are some what out of my league for now, Aviation is really in a slump (I am a Airplane Structures Technician) . Therefore my son (Jarred) and I have decided to build a 1/2 scale CJ-2A to suppress the urge to own a full size one between the two of us. 

I have attached some prototype drawings but there are some dimensions I still require to complete my drawings. No real full size CJ-2A's around here presents a problem for measurements. 
Is it possible for some help with the missing sizes on my drawings. I have drawn them in metric but can work in inches as well.

Also I must say thanks to all for the great site and their contributions.

Until later,

Marc & Jarred.

note, I can mail bigger images if needed.

FLYINGFISH

"If in doubt, ask"
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2012 at 8:39pm
Is that a CJ or a MB with a tailgate opening that you have drawn? Besides teh MB grille I think you have the MB windshield height...

If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Rory Kew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rory Kew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2012 at 5:01am
Hi Marc & Jarred,
I'm in Cape Town, where are you guys? If you are somewhere close, I have a reasonable 1948 CJ2a which you are very welcome to come and look at for measurements, pictures etc.

Rory 
FLYINGFISH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLYINGFISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2012 at 5:34am
Hi F Bill

Correct you are, my initial drawings are/were of a MB (hence the windshield/frame which I must admit I forgot about ) and I used these to base my 1/2 size on on.
But the grill being the problem area for me to draw up to size, I do not have a sample to reference, okay Rory made the offer to see his. (we are 1200 odd kilometres apart though) 

Thanks for the reply, Bill F.

Regards, 
M & J
FLYINGFISH

"If in doubt, ask"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLYINGFISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2012 at 5:39am
Hello Rory

Thanks for offer to use your '48 as a reference, but  I live up on the East Rand, just a little to far to pop round this morning though.

Is your CJ on the site some where for us to  look at ?

Regards,

M & J  
FLYINGFISH

"If in doubt, ask"
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2012 at 1:53pm
M and J, do you need the MB measurements for the grille or the 2A measurements?? Also you did neglect to add the cutout under the tailgate above the hitch, I noticed...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLYINGFISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2012 at 3:08pm
Hi F Bill

The details for the CJ grill is what we require, like sizes for the slats and cut-outs, headlight dia., radius of the grill corners ect. Also the sizes for the fuel cut out on the left, I have the sizes and location for the indents, hood blocks ect.

As for the tail gate the bits you mention I do not have at all. I used the drawings & specs (pages 20,21 & 22) from the 'Jeep Operation Data Brochure downloaded from the CJ-2A site and them some more I have gathered.

The details on my drawings are all I have at my disposal so far. The intention is to produce a '46 CJ-2A in Harvest Tan with Sunset Orange wheels ( I prefer Pasture Green, but as I decided the type my son got to pick the colours).  
We would like to add as many details as practical for a 1/2 scale, even working lights and the like. 

Best regards,

Marc & Jarred.

FLYINGFISH

"If in doubt, ask"
Roberto Flores View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Flores Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2012 at 11:01am
   Hi Marc & Jarred!

I have just found this jeep at your country and although this ol´ lady isn´t a CJ2A, it has a lot of similarities with it:

http://youtu.be/85UXzYS7XJo

I hope this will be located near from you!!! And if this link doesn´t work, just do a search at You Tube for "cj3b south africa". It´s a real nice one vehicle!!! Wink

Edited by Roberto Flores - 27 Nov. 2012 at 4:11pm
Roberto Flores
Made to order cartoons, comics...!
http://www.robertoflores.com
http://www.cafepress.com/robertoflorescartoonist
http://www.cafepress.com/theoutliner
http://www.zazzle.com/flores67

Rory Kew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rory Kew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2012 at 2:30pm
Marc & Jarred,

My Jeep is'nt on the page as yet (still figuring out the photo re-sizer). I can e-mail you some pictures if you PM me your e-mail address.
Cheers

Edited by Rory Kew - 27 Nov. 2012 at 2:33pm
Roberto Flores View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Flores Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2012 at 11:15am
Hi Marc & Jarred,

If you have access to Facebook, look for a group called "Willys Jeep Cj2a"! There´s somebody from your country that I´m sure he could help you!!!

Good luck!
Roberto Flores
Made to order cartoons, comics...!
http://www.robertoflores.com
http://www.cafepress.com/robertoflorescartoonist
http://www.cafepress.com/theoutliner
http://www.zazzle.com/flores67

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLYINGFISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2012 at 5:03am
Thanks Roberto, will do.
FLYINGFISH

"If in doubt, ask"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLYINGFISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2013 at 7:28am
Hello to all

Been awhile since I first posted but I have done some on the 1/2 scale project.

I did all the drawings I need with the help of a CJ-2A I found close to home and I have unlimited access to for measurements.

I have cut out both left and right side panels and already formed the left and right lower cowl panels. When seeing the photos bear in mind these are not complete yet, drain hole must still go in and final dressing still required.

For now that's it.

Regards,   
FLYINGFISH

"If in doubt, ask"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLYINGFISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2013 at 7:35am
Let try again, the photos did not upload first time round.

FLYINGFISH

"If in doubt, ask"
ellis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2013 at 1:46pm
at Bestop they say; 23´ high frame, and 25´ for the cj2a.  and 66.5´ from top of frame to rear of tub.
MIZZOU29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIZZOU29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2013 at 3:29pm
Looks like a cool project.
What type of drive train are you planning on using?
Tact is for those without the intelligence for sarcasm.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLYINGFISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2013 at 3:47pm
Hi

The intention is use a 13 Hp Briggs & Stratton and it's associated bits from a donor ride on mower (no this will not be a ride mower like I have seen done, horrid that is) or lastly finding all the parts here there and every where from a similar set up. 

My biggest hassle with this project is I am not able to do all the things I use to, I have very harsh variety of  RA and it limits me at times. I started this also to do sheet metal again (airplane structures), I miss doing my original trade I qualified in, due to RA I am now in the Engineering Department behind a desk.

So progress may be fast at times or very slow.

However what you guys do here on these wonderful old machines gives me incentive to push on.

M & J
FLYINGFISH

"If in doubt, ask"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLYINGFISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2013 at 3:21pm
Hi 

Made some progress on the build. Posting pics here on the 2A page from work is slow so I created a Photobucket account and will always add the link when I update on the 2A page.  

The front cowl panels are part way complete (no side step, decided to add that later, just easier for the making of the forming blocks). 

Both the left and right main side panels are now on the go, still plenty to do but at least they look like something now and not just bits of flat sheetmetal in red oxide (the whole sheet was primered before  I even started, I have very damp hands, my son as well that do and will mess up untreated mild steel, brass, copper and some more, gloves are always a must, really a pain working on airplanes over the years with sweaty hands). 

Heres the link for the most recent photos, the last 6 were taken last night: Looking at the bucket page it would appear they go from newest and to oldest. 

http://s1273.beta.photobucket.com/user/Flyingfish551/library/ 

The black oxygen bottle in the back ground I am going to cut open this week end, it will make a nice forming dolly for the side panels and other projects. There is a smaller one as well that must cut up for a dolly but it is just so well hidden at the moment. 

For now that's it. 

M & J
FLYINGFISH

"If in doubt, ask"
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2013 at 3:27pm
Here is the Image code from one of the pics of you forming the bedside.

I am using the old photobucket instead of the Beta, and when you go to your pics there is a window that has all the codes for posting the actual URL for the pic.

Of course if you go to the free web resizer you can resize the pics so you can download them here.

Looks great so far!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>