Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel Pump priming?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buzzshipman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Pump priming?
    Posted: 11 Mar. 2013 at 11:30pm
I'm trying to get my engine started on my jeep and it doesn't seem to be pulling any gas. I have the body off the the fuel run into a gas can. I would think the pump should draw up the gas but it wasn't. I then filled the fuel line with gas and put it back in the can and it still isn't getting any gas to the pump. The fuel bowl is empty and no gas in it. I even removed the line to the carb and cranked the engine over again and got nothing. Is there something I'm doing wrong or do you guys think the pump needs a rebuild. Is there a way to test it to make sure it is pumping and maybe just not getting the fuel up the line.

Thanks,
    Kevin
1946 CJ2A column shift
1961 CJ3B
1963 CJ5
1947 Empire Model 90
1982 CJ8
rocco611 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocco611 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2013 at 11:59pm
If  you remove the suction line from the pump, (fuel tank side), put your finger over the fitting on the pump or put a vacuum gauge on it, it should pull a slight vacuum. if it doesn't ,you can take it apart , remove the screws around the diaphram, the half of the housing the fuel lines go into have a couple of check valves pressed into it . they pry out pretty easy and can be cleaned or replaced.  saw somewhere online that sold the individual parts for the pump.

Edited by rocco611 - 12 Mar. 2013 at 12:04am
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2013 at 11:59pm
Is your fuel source higher or lower than the pump?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2013 at 12:07am
Originally posted by rocco611 rocco611 wrote:

you can take it apart , remove the screws around the diaphram, the half of the housing the fuel lines go into have a couple of check valves pressed into it . they pry out pretty easy and can be cleaned or replaced.  saw somewhere online that sold the individual parts for the pump.
Before you go prying on things. Look to see if there is an hour-glass-shaped spring screwed inside, holding the valves. If so, you're in luck and can easily rebuild it. Kits are sold by all of the big outfits. If not, you have an AC "Clone" manufactured by one of half a dozen companies and some of the first 'use it up, throw it away parts' for CJ's. Do be extremely careful when prying on them. They are press-fit and will not yield without the high probability of damage to the shell. I hope you find the right parts to replace them. A lot of times it is luck of the draw on valves. I try studiously to avoid such pumps as they are more hassle than they are worth.

Edited by scoutpilot - 12 Mar. 2013 at 12:09am
buzzshipman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buzzshipman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2013 at 12:18am
Thanks everyone for your input so far. To answer one question the gas can is below the fuel pump that is why I'm not sure if the pump will even draw up the fuel but I think it would. From what I have seen online the cost of a new pump is just a little bit more then a rebuild kit so I think I would just buy a new one if it needs it.
1946 CJ2A column shift
1961 CJ3B
1963 CJ5
1947 Empire Model 90
1982 CJ8
rocco611 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocco611 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2013 at 12:40am

you may be able to help it along by pouring some fuel into the suction side of the pump to get it going. I have sometimes wrapped a rag around a filler neck of  a can  or fuel tank then pressurize the can slightly with another piece of fuel hose slipped inside the the rag into the filler neck , doesnt take much to move the fuel.  Your right, probably not worth the effort to rebuild the pump. unless its an orginal and you want to keep that pump.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2013 at 10:43am
Originally posted by buzzshipman buzzshipman wrote:

Thanks everyone for your input so far. To answer one question the gas can is below the fuel pump that is why I'm not sure if the pump will even draw up the fuel but I think it would. From what I have seen online the cost of a new pump is just a little bit more then a rebuild kit so I think I would just buy a new one if it needs it.
Got a milk crate, concrete block? Raise the "tank" above the pump. Should you want a new-to-you pump, look me up. I have rebuilt ones that are rebuildable for sale. Remember what I said about "use it up and throw it away" There is only convenience and no value in the new ones.
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2013 at 2:41pm
You do have the pump input and outlet plumbed correctly?Confused
BOULDER 48 2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buzzshipman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2013 at 9:09pm
Yep it is plumbed correct. The jeep ran about 5 years ago, maybe sat a little longer. I'm just thinking the diaphragm so dried up or some other seal. Think I will just get a new one and go from there. 
1946 CJ2A column shift
1961 CJ3B
1963 CJ5
1947 Empire Model 90
1982 CJ8
williamsmar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williamsmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2013 at 1:46am
My lobe on the crank was warn down and would not pump correctly. Had to go electric.
1946 CJ2A #72643

TomcatJ2A48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomcatJ2A48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2013 at 7:46am
I have a 1948 CJ2A, w/ L134 4cyl. Engine. I foolishly allowed it to sit w/o starting or running for too long for lack of a fuel tank. So I fed the f/pump IN line to a fuel can. Crank the engine and get no pressure, no fuel. Like an abused law mower left in corner after the last mow. The gasoline gummed up the FUEL PUMP worse then it did the carburetor. I removed it easily and cleaned it up. Took it to a local Baxters' Auto store hoping to find a rebuild kit. Behold the young man x-ref his mile high manuals and found 'in stock' a Carter Carburetor, new, not a rebuild. The Application listing was out of range by a few years but it looked mechanically fit and fully interchangeable so I took it home. It fit into the Willys L134 like a glove. I cranked her and in a few seconds I had fuel gushing out the carb side. She did not start. But that's what I got done today. There are plenty of websites online to find a rebuild kit $45 or a new carb for $80-100.00 + SH. I prefer to keep the business in the local hood. Get out and see your neighbors!   Star

Edited by TomcatJ2A48 - 24 Mar. 2013 at 8:05am
Tomas
48 CJ2A, sn: 190785
dan s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2013 at 4:51pm
If it has been sitting for 5 years, then there is a good chance the pump is bad.  The older pumps do not like the ethanol in the fuel either. 

It could be a worn down cam not driving the pump lever, but that is not too common.

A common problem with the fuel pump not pumping is an air leak somewhere between the fuel pump and the fuel tank. If you have a hole in your fuel line or a clamp that is not tight, you will never get fuel to the fuel pump.  I think a good pump with no holes in the line should pump the fuel from your gas can under the jeep.  Also, some of these new pumps on the market may have stronger suction than the older original pumps.  This is where a pump with a hand primer really comes in handy!

Correct in that the new pumps may be disposable.  Even if you can get them apart, their doesn't seem to be a kit for the new style pumps.  You can find the new style pumps on ebay for just over $30.00 which is less than a kit cost anyway.

Dan S

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buzzshipman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2013 at 7:55pm
Sorry guys I hadn't updated you on the status of the fuel pump. I got the engine running and the fuel pump works. It did have a hole in the line which was causing the priming problem. The engine started right up once I got everything fixed up and it runs great. Now on to the frame cleaning and new body.
1946 CJ2A column shift
1961 CJ3B
1963 CJ5
1947 Empire Model 90
1982 CJ8
TomcatJ2A48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomcatJ2A48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2013 at 12:46am
Good work. My "Baxter's Auto./over the counter" fuel pump is working fine but my timing is all messed up. I had several backfires. I'll figure it out tomorrow. Sounds like we have projects in the same stage. Once I git'er to start and run smoothly I'm taking her down to the frame and see what I can do. Good luck with yours! 
Tomas
48 CJ2A, sn: 190785
 Post Reply Post Reply