Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

47' CJ2A oil filter hook up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdagner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 47' CJ2A oil filter hook up
    Posted: 17 June 2013 at 9:36pm
Hi All, I am trying to put a stock canister on my dads '47 cj2a after it has been without one for the past 30 years. I have the canister but need to know where it hooks up. I know there is a fitting that goes to the oil pressure gauge on the rear of the engine, but dont know if that is the one that it hooks to. I know it also needs a return line. Where is that? How large of a diameter do the oil lines to and from the filter need to be? Also, there is a hole on the bottom of the canister and the side, which one goes where? Thanks for all the help
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2013 at 11:09pm
The pressure line comes out of the engine block right by the fuel pump, then up through a gromet in the oil filter bracket,then into the oil filter on the side of the top. The return line comes out the bottom of the filter and into a fitting on the timing cover. Walcks and other vendors sell the hoses. I'll put a link to the hoses walcks sells. Carl says his hoses are us made and don't break down like some that others have experienced. I can post some pictures of the hose routing if you need it.
http://walcks4wd.com/oil-flex-line-inlet-c-4.html

http://walcks4wd.com/oil-flex-line-outlet-c-4.html

Edited by smfulle - 17 June 2013 at 11:11pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
tdagner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdagner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2013 at 2:34am
Thanks a ton for the help. A picture would be awesome if its not too much trouble.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2013 at 3:36am
Per your request:
Note: Your filter may look slightly different than mine. I think there were as many as 5 different oil filters used on the 2As over the course of their production run.

This first photo shows how the drain line goes from the bottom of the filter to the fitting on the timing cover.

Here you can see the pressure line coming from the top side of the filter, through the grommet then down towards the fuel pump.

This one shows it disappearing behind the fuel pump. That fitting behind fuel pump is a real pain. The fuel pump pretty much has to be out of the way to get  the elbow fitting in there, and getting the bolts off the fuel pump is a big enough pain in itself.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Anderson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2013 at 11:39am
Will be adding an oil canister in the near future.  Great descriptive pics.   What then is the plug directly under the canister and ahead of the oil fill tube?  Thanks
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2013 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by Anderson Anderson wrote:

Will be adding an oil canister in the near future.  Great descriptive pics.   What then is the plug directly under the canister and ahead of the oil fill tube?  Thanks

Are you referring to the drain fitting on the canister?
BOULDER 48 2A
Anderson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2013 at 9:07pm
No the plug on the engine block below the oil filter canister.  Part of it is showing in one of the pics. 
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2013 at 9:49pm
That is the coolant drain plug. It should properly have a butterfly type valve in the threaded hole. But these get corroded, lost, etc. and often a NPT threaded plug is fitted.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Anderson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2013 at 10:12pm
Thanks. Just picked up a cj2a this week and its kinda like a first date.  Just feeling my way around.  Every once in a while I find something interesting.  I know I'll never be mistaken for a mechanic but just don't want the nickname "bubba". 
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2013 at 11:34pm
Here's a better picture of that coolant drain in the block. It should have a petcock type valve in it like you used to see in every radiator.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Anderson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2013 at 2:18am
Stan,  Thanks,  Mine has an elbow facing up.  It confused me on its purpose. 
 Post Reply Post Reply