Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

trailer story

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: trailer story
    Posted: 08 Aug. 2013 at 2:07pm
Gentlemen, this a is rant but do need advice

Last spring I bought a new Aluma trailer, 68 inch wide by 10 ft long, rated 3,000 lbs for legal purposes.  (no brake on axle).  This was my ideal trailer for hauling the cj I thought.   Trailer weighs 460 lbs  so total weight is close but maybe not a lot of margin for the willys but should work.  I like aluminum trailers, just easier to move around by hand.
I get the trailer home and look at it and think, those welds are not nearly as good as my other Aluma trailer (6.5 x 12 ft, rated 3,500lbs), I could probably weld as good as that.   Do a little measurement and the stake pockets are not in the same position on both sides.   But I think, ok, I can live with that.

Finally used it about a month ago.   Loaded 60 sheets of 7/16 OSB board on it (hot day and I have a tight schedule)  and fenders are within an inch of the tires and a screw holding a light on are within half an inch.  I know this is a 3,000 lb load, so unload 1,000 lbs and no change.   Did I mention hot day and handling these sheets by my self ?    So I reload on my older Aluma trailer and everything is fine on that trailer and the new one looks good again empty with good clearance.

I took pictures with the 2,000 lb load and suggest to the factory either the fenders were not welded in the correct position or the axles is not up to rated specs.  ( sticker on axle says 3,000 lbs).   Haul it back to dealer and it goes to the factory.  It sets in never never land there, I ask them a few times for a status report, and then finally I get a call from the dealer if I want to go to the factory to pick it up or back to him.  DUH.   I ask the dealer what they did to it, he didn't know.

I call the factory and they tell me that it was a little out of kilter and they welded in a half inch spacer to make the fender to tire measurement equal.  I know how the axle is mounted and this does not sound like a good idea to me.   Warrantee guy tells me they had the engineer look at it and this was the fix.   I ask, did you load it with 3,000  lbs and check it?   He says, the legal limit is only 3,000 and trailer weighs 460 lbs.  I said, surely it is over engineered beyond that limit.   Finally convince him that before he return it to put a 3,000 load on it to test it.   Do they not issue thinking caps to engineers anymore?

So, my question is between the crappy welds, mismounted stake pockets, bad idea of half in spacer on axle mount, and admitted out of kilter, should I insist it is a lemon and ask for a new one.  Are my expectations of over engineering out of line?

Edited by willys54wagon - 08 Aug. 2013 at 2:33pm
Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
dennisanvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennisanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2013 at 2:27pm
sent it back and get a new one. imhoThumbs Down
dennis
dennisanvil                   1948 cj2a, maker of tailgate hooks & hand forge iron ware
there not any knowen cure for jeep fever.
serial # 164136<
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2013 at 2:30pm
They loaded it with 2,500 lbs at the factory and sent me pictures that it has 3/4 inch clearance.  Torsion axle.  Now my logic says that when I hit a bump, it is going to move further than that and rub the fender?

Edited by willys54wagon - 08 Aug. 2013 at 2:34pm
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2013 at 3:01pm
I've been thinking about an Aluma trailer for my Willys hauler. I'd Demand it be replaced. I can't imagine these trailers are not Jig/Fixture welded. How could it be that far off? Maybe they started importing them from ChinaAngry
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2013 at 3:16pm
Sandusky, that was my thought exactly, these things are put together with jigs and fixtures, not by some guy in his garage eyeballing things to make just one of them.

I would certainly demand either a refund, or a replacement. Yes, if you put 2500lbs on it, and hit a bump, it's going to bounce quite a bit.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2013 at 3:59pm
I don't know anything about Aluma trailers, but I've been a happy camper with my Featherlite aluminum trailer.

I, too, would ask for a replacement trailer.

Edited by samcj2a - 09 Aug. 2013 at 2:14am
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2013 at 4:05pm
Ok gentlemen,
To clarify the problem, I have two problems here, maybe more because now my attitude toward the trailer is bad.   One is quality issues, the other is design issues.

This is the trailer I bought,  I know it is marginal weight wise for the jeep (2,500 llbs plus 500 for the trailer) but should work and was willing to take the risk.   My other trailer is 3,000 rated but has a 3,500 lb axle and works well with the jeep, just a little too large for my limited storage situation.

Now I am told that at 2,500 lbs of load plus 500 for the trailer the torsion axle is maxed out and further flex is now in the tires.   Shouldn't I expect some reserve in the axle for bounce down the road?   Be tough on me , are my expectations out of line?   Is engineering design that close and no reserves any more?
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2013 at 4:10pm
I beleive in the past things were designed with a margin to account for the upper end limits to cover the mfg. from liability.  Seems The Past is History.
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2013 at 4:14pm
My view is that you, as a purchaser, should not expect it to safely haul an ounce over its rating.  OTOH, it would certainly be a good engineering practice to build in a bit of a safety margin, but the buyer cannot expect that at all.  Beyond that, I think it was unwise to buy a trailer for your Jeep that is rated barely enough to haul it.
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2013 at 4:36pm
I would bite the bullet and get a brake setup...and a 3500 Lb axle. I know it is a pain but it would be a lot easier to stop and also would have some safety margin. I too have a lightweight trailer similar to that but steel, and occasionally haul parts jeeps on it. It feels so much safer to use my tandem axle trailer when I have a complete jeep in tow. It does help that the tandem axle has a drop axle.

If you bottom out the current axle do you still have clearance for the tires. or are they forced into hitting fasteners or the fenders? If the tires hit at full compression it is a design problem. Using tire sidewall for extra margin on bumps is not unheard of but a good reason to stay away from maximum loading. 

Every cheap landscape trailer I have owned the spring u bolts hit the deck as a bump stop. Loaded with any vehicle they usually have less than an inch of clearance left, but it doesn't seem to affect the handling too much. The cheap spring shackles and plastic bushings they use wear quickly and once worn everything hits most of the time. A careful builder can eliminate those issues with a higher price point trailer, but the Carry -on brand and most of the farm store trailers are built to sell, not to use.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2013 at 4:38pm
I knew you guys would be brutally honest with me and may have to change my way of thinking, so when I buy trailer I should discount the rating by a good factor.   I would assume a 3,000 trailer would carry a 3,000 lb load with some axle movement.   Lesson learned here.  I guess the option is to upgrade to 3,500 lb axle like their larger trailers.

This is not a cheap trailer, guess I had too high of design expectations.   Let others be warned.  I have two other Aluma trailers and have been more than happy with them and I do on occasion overload them.   Try to buy long term with quality.  The world changed on me.

Edited by willys54wagon - 08 Aug. 2013 at 4:44pm
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2013 at 6:06pm
I bought a boat trailer and redesigned it.  The weight factor is 3,800 lbs.  I have had 3,500lbs on it  going over bumps and curbs and have not bottomed out yet.  That is the max limit I carefully use it.  My sissors lift is that heavy.  I will keep this little trailer and get ont that will haul 10,000lbs for the skidloader .  The skid is 6,500. need gross wt for extras.  Your trailer  I would return and get one of larger hauling gross weight.  I would not trust one that is /was defective, there are other people on the road that you may endanger   My 2 cents worth Steve
Ed
cj2a lefty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2013 at 11:47pm
On the road for the day and kept thinking the other 3,ooo lb gross weight trailers all have 3,500 axles but this does not, so either the this trailer should have a 2,500 lb rating or a 3,500 axle.
njtool View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njtool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2013 at 12:12am
this is why I made my own trailer using two 3,500 axles. I don't trust anything trailer companies tell me. it was a lot of work but it was fun and well worth the investment. And it tows great!
1946 CJ2A #44985
1945 CJ2A #10220
M-416 Trailer
K-38 Lineman Trailer
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2013 at 10:04pm
I've seen guys haul vehicles on single axle trailers but its not for me! If you get a blowout you are kinda screwed, with a tandem you have a little margin for mishaps.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2013 at 3:48am
I built one too   now it is too big   for what I need.   The kids are gone...if you know what I mean
Ed
cj2a lefty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2013 at 2:06pm
The story finally ends.   From my perspective I am not a completely satisfied customer, not being reimbursed for my time and costs and troubles.   From their perspective I was probably just a whiney customer.   I don't think they understood the liability issue with a properly loaded trailer and a screw a half inch from the tire.

The first trailer had the screw within half inch of tire.

The second effort, they bubified it and I refused to take it.

The 3rd effort, they buillt me another trailer but forgot to put a 3,500 lb axle on it as promised

the 4th effort, the trailer is finally ok but I never even received an apology or thanks from the dealer or factory. Every time I look at the trailer I still see that screw half an inch from the tire.   I was without it for a month and it just seemed like I had to drag them through the process.   When you make some mistakes it should cost you so you won't do it again, and every time they screwed up, I added more to the things it would take to satisfy me such as spare tires, and mounting points.  Bottom line is I have a story to tell often and will cost them more than if they would have made me a satisfied customer with some  "cheap trinkets"

Conclusion.  Build your own trailer as some here have suggested and stay away from Aluma.

Edited by willys54wagon - 09 Oct. 2013 at 5:07pm
birddog7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birddog7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2013 at 3:26pm
Ditto on Alumna trailers. You want to add Doolittle trailers to the list too.
Birddog
1945 CJ2A
1956 CJ3B
1946 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1948 CJ3A
1946 Bantam Trailer
 Post Reply Post Reply