Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Product Review Forum > Transmission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Novak -vs- Walcks?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Novak -vs- Walcks?
    Posted: 23 Apr. 2017 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

Originally posted by windyhill windyhill wrote:

Walcks tries hard to use US made and the best parts available where they can.  They have hundreds of custom excursive pasts they have made locally because the quality wasn't there for the parts from venders.  It's a constant battle.

Wow. Spellcheck got you there. I'm assuming you meant Exclusive Parts...

Ha!  oops.
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2017 at 9:21pm
I used the Novak.  My T-90 was not synching well and was slipping out of 2nd.  I rebuilt it with the Novak kit, and while is synchs well now, it STILL slips right out of second if there is no load on the gears. Not sure why, but the Novak kit seemed to include everything and work well.
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2017 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by windyhill windyhill wrote:

Walcks tries hard to use US made and the best parts available where they can.  They have hundreds of custom excursive pasts they have made locally because the quality wasn't there for the parts from venders.  It's a constant battle.

Wow. Spellcheck got you there. I'm assuming you meant Exclusive Parts...
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2017 at 4:37pm
Walcks tries hard to use US made and the best parts available where they can.  They have hundreds of custom exclusive pasts they have made locally because the quality wasn't there for the parts from venders.  It's a constant battle.

Edited by windyhill - 23 Apr. 2017 at 2:17pm
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
harvey45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harvey45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2014 at 12:10am
There is someone selling NOS hub assemblies and 2nd gears are there now. I've even see NOS shafts on there to.

This assembly was also used in early ford Transmission and are available on eBay.   

I would rather buy from Walcks cause they use their parts a drive Willys Jeeps.  
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2014 at 1:16pm
Just make sure to ask for US made or NOS parts. It were me I'd 'kit' the small stuff from a vendor and source what what ever else is needed, off eBay. There is someone selling NOS hub assemblies and 2nd gears on there now. I've even see NOS shafts on there to.
Brett
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2014 at 7:20am
Just got and fitted Novaks D18 Intermediate shaft overhaul kit and it all went in very well and appears to be a good quality kit, only issue was the thrust washers were slightly too big on the outside diameter and it just took a few seconds to polish each one so they would slide inside the gear.

The 'O" rings on the shaft are a good idea, but it pays to dress the edges of the casing hole the shaft goes in so the O rings don't get eaten up as the shaft is installed.

Adrian
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2014 at 4:20pm
Guys, the more that I read this thread, the more that it has evolved into a product review topic, so I have moved it to the Transmission sub-forum of the Product Review forum.   All previous links to the thread will still work.
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2014 at 4:05pm
Novak's kits are very nice and have most of what you'll need. I would recommend using the Rick Stivers rebuild guide to disassemble and inspect your transmission before you order parts. That way if you just need what is in the kit you can order that. Or if you decide you don't need all those things, you can just get what you need.
Novak tries to get as much American made stuff as they can, but many of the modern made parts for these old transmissions come from the same place no matter what vendor you use. A lot of my Novak parts came in bags or boxes marked Crown. I'm pretty sure that Crown is the brand that Walcks, Kaiser Willys, and most of the others sell. Novak does have some of the parts custom made, such as the hardened shafts.

Here's the Stiver's guide if you haven't seen it before:
http://www.willystech.com/wt/T90RebuildGuide/T90rebuild.htm
Novak has a good rebuild guide, but not quite as detailed: 
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
garage gnome View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garage gnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2014 at 3:46pm
I've heard that the Novak kits are very nice and are better quality than the ones from Walcks or KW. I haven't used either, just what I've heard through the grapevine. If I was to rebuild a T90, I would use the Novak kit with their hardened shafts. The harder shafts will last much longer.
Nate
1953 3A, 1949 3A, 1947 2A, 1918 IHC Titan 10-20, 1905 IHC Famous, other hit n misses
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2014 at 3:41pm
I bought the same kit as woodshopguy is looking at and is shown in the link I posted.  As you can see in the pic the hub, clutch, or whatever (item13) is not included with the kit.  I had no extra parts when finished.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2014 at 3:22pm
I can't speak to where to buy, but I can state that you will need the synchronizer hub and a selection of snap rings to adjust endplay to solve your 2nd gear pop-out issue.

I don't know what JPET paid for his parts, but normally the synchronizer hub comes with the synchros, so if you buy the master kit, you may end up with $60 worth of extra synchros.

If you can't get the endplay within spec, and the snap rings provided don't do the trick, PM me and I will mail you a selection of the snap rings, and thrust washers if you need them.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2014 at 2:04pm
I can't speak for the Walcks tranny parts since I have not used them, but I did buy the Novak kit to fix my 2nd gear pop out problem.  Along with the master kit, I also purchased the sliding clutch (Item 13) …..

….. since mine looked worn.  I would say I have about 25000 miles on the rebuild and it does not pop out of 2nd.  After I first overhauled it, the tranny was quite stiff and actually hard to get into 2nd.  After a couple months of daily use, shifting got easier.

The reason I went with the novak kit was because I was a newbie to the T-90, I was in a time crunch to make Colorado, and I had to get the parts on order before I had time to do an inspection of the tranny.  Luckily, the kit was all I needed.

HTH
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
woodshopguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodshopguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2014 at 1:38pm
Getting ready to take on my first T-90 rebuild . . . going to attempt to fix the "second gear pop out" syndrome . . . don't think there is anything else wrong with the tranny. . . . sounded and felt good during the 2 miles I put on it before the clutch came apart . . . So after Devouring all of the info I can find on the T-90 Rebuilds, here are my questions:

1. What's your opinion in general about Novak tranny parts Vs Walcks tranny parts? Price, quality, etc.

2. Novak offers a "master rebuild kit" for $228.00 that claims to have everything you need to solve most common T-90 issues . . . anyone use it? is it worth the $ or should I attempt to source parts individually?

3. Since there is really only one problem with this Tranny (second gear popout), and the bearings all sounded and felt good, would you only fix what's broke, or gut and replace all the moving parts like needles, and bearings, and whatever else comes with a rebuild kit?

Other suggestions or thoughts?
-Doug.
#33468 Column Shift
42 GPW on the TO DO list
Bantam #259
3.25 @ Bantam Trailers (Also TO DO)
41 Ford Coupe coming along slowly

Post Reply Post Reply