Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is the Jeep Wrangler in the lineage?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7slotguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is the Jeep Wrangler in the lineage?
    Posted: 15 Oct. 2014 at 3:03pm
Sam, if you don't consider this "history" related then please move it to the general area.
 My question is, do you consider the Wrangler a direct descendant of the CJ2a lineage? I already know the answer based on factual history but I'm curious as to what the older CJ crowd thinks. The wrangler crowds response is predictable. And I see alot of bogus uninformed articles out there. Thanks for your insight.
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2014 at 3:13pm
Well, if you don't mind that there are many intervening models, then, yes, the Wrangler is in the lineage.  
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2014 at 3:40pm
Especially when the TJ went back to round headlights. Square just didn't get it. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
birddog7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birddog7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2014 at 3:57pm
After 2006 they broke the lineage IMO. And is a glorified plastic Tonka toy now.
Birddog
1945 CJ2A
1956 CJ3B
1946 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1948 CJ3A
1946 Bantam Trailer
7slotguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7slotguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2014 at 1:17am
So, even though the wrangler was an entirely different vehicle, head to toe, from design to production; even though it had a new name and model number prefix, even though the powers to be at AMC stated they were ending production and a very important era in Jeep history; even when they applied badges to the last few Jeeps made stating a similar thing; you still think it continued?
 See that's what I'm curious about. Is it the similar look of the open air vehicle, just like the Landcruiser or even the Bronco? Because anything else is pretty much shared by the entire Jeep brand line. I wouldn't think round headlight vs. square would make that distinction either, or else Dodge, Chevy, etc. would then make Jeeps also, based on that criteria.
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2014 at 7:03pm
Is the new camaro a direct decendant from the gen 1 camaro?  I believe the wrangler is a direct descendant because it was after the cj-5 which was a descendant of the cj3b, cj3a, then the cj2.  Its a short wheel based off road vehicle.  Just because it is really high tech doesn't mean its not kinda the same.  That's my one cent.
7slotguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7slotguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2014 at 3:08pm
So then a compass and a patriot are a direct descendant too, cause they also came after the 5 and they're made by the Jeep company? They also have short wheel bases, as do almost all of the Jeep brand lineup.
 As far as the camero, they are both camero's. Are the camero and corvette the same too? Or does the different name, model number, interior, drivetrain, etc make them different?
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2014 at 3:49pm
Well I know where this conversation is going, but the compass and liberty and patriot descend from the cherokee which descends from the wagoneer and yada yada yada yada yada yada yee haw.  The corvette is a descendant from the mustang which came from the horse which used to be a dinosaur haha.
DMillet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMillet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2014 at 2:00am
The Wrangler is pretty much the only thing a 2A could have turned into, given the safety and emissions regulations that have come about in the intervening 68 years.  It's still got the solid axles and no compromise offroad capability.  I've got both a 2009 and a CJ2A.  I'm happy with both too, for different reasons.  Except for those really tight trails, I'm reasonably sure I can take either one anywhere I might want to go.  I can't say that about the other Jeep brand vehicles (except maybe the old Cherokees, they were pretty tough too).  So yea, even with the plastic fenders (and other milk carton stuff) I think it's still true to the lineage.
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2014 at 10:57am
Ya'll are forgetting something. And before you fire up the flame throwers, read the following with an open mind. I don't want to be interpreted as casting disparaging remarks about any of my friends here on the forum. Here goes. 
The original Jeeps; MB, GPW, GPA, CJ2A, Pickups and Delivery were designed and built for men. Jeepsters were for the hoi-poloi. I think you know where this is going. At some point in the late fifties, early sixties, Madison Avenue discovered that women spent money and bought things. So. American women became a new market for automobiles. The automobiles got fancier and more comfortable just for the female market. In the late sixties, early seventies, Madison Avenue discovered that women liked to drive trucks. You can see now where this is going. Modern Jeeps aren't for men anymore. They are designed and marketed to women. Men see their utility, women see the burly, wind-in-your-hair, soft, air-conditioned, metro-sexual ride. There. I said it. Bring on the firewood. Burn me at the stake.
DMillet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMillet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2014 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by scoutpilot scoutpilot wrote:

Ya'll are forgetting something. And before you fire up the flame throwers, read the following with an open mind. I don't want to be interpreted as casting disparaging remarks about any of my friends here on the forum. Here goes. 
The original Jeeps; MB, GPW, GPA, CJ2A, Pickups and Delivery were designed and built for men. Jeepsters were for the hoi-poloi. I think you know where this is going. At some point in the late fifties, early sixties, Madison Avenue discovered that women spent money and bought things. So. American women became a new market for automobiles. The automobiles got fancier and more comfortable just for the female market. In the late sixties, early seventies, Madison Avenue discovered that women liked to drive trucks. You can see now where this is going. Modern Jeeps aren't for men anymore. They are designed and marketed to women. Men see their utility, women see the burly, wind-in-your-hair, soft, air-conditioned, metro-sexual ride. There. I said it. Bring on the firewood. Burn me at the stake.

Albeit very small men!

So what kind of car should I get when I need a new daily driver?  A "real" jeep is much too valuable to be driving back and forth to work regularly.  Besides, they don't go fast enough for my commute.  :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2014 at 1:14pm
Ahhhh...and there's the rub. Whatever suits your wants, needs and desires is what you need to drive. 
7slotguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7slotguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2014 at 3:51pm
So what I'm hearing is, from some, as long as it has a solid axle and a brand badge, then it's part of the lineage. And that a vehicle model doesn't ever end, it just becomes a new model (regardless of design and features) when trends and evolution dictate massive change. Interesting.
 I guess I just can't wrap my head around how anyone could think a Jeep (CJ2a version) and a Wrangler (JK) have anything in common on a level any different than a Jeep (CJ2a version) and a Toyota Landcruiser, Suzuki Samari, etc. I just defies logic, and maybe that's the problem for me, I'm trying to be too logical.
 Anyone else care to share some insight, on a serious level? (and civil)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2014 at 4:35pm
There is a distinctly American flavored mystique attached to the CJ series that reached a peak shortly after WW2. While the numbers of those affected individuals who follow that history has waned, the fire burns just as strongly for them. All iterations of this venerable machine have been more or less Johnny-come-latelys perceived as filling a need, but, coattail hangers never the less.
The son can follow in his father's footsteps, but will never be his father.
early 46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote early 46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2014 at 5:22pm
Like it or not the jk is the newest version of the flat fender jeep. They try to keep some core things the same, they both have strait axles the doors come off the windshield folds down that is the pedigree. Cherokees grands, compass, patriot etc are from the Willys wagon side of the family.
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2014 at 5:32pm
The narrow track, open body on frame, fold down windshield, and low range 4wd seem to be core values.
The plaque in the earlier part of this post reflected that the YJ was not a descendant of the CJ due to it's more refined interior.

A big part of the sentiment in that time frame was due to the French  (Renault) ownership of Jeep. I have to say the rectangular headlights and grille are butt ugly in my opinion. Most people don't recognize how much of the CJ tub sheetmetal was carried over and re-used on the YJ!

The transition from YJ to TJ was more aggressive with the changes to accommodate coil springs and increase articulation. I guess I am a strong believer that the TJ was a descendant has to do with the fact that guys like Mike Smith, Jim Holly, and Mike Gabriel that designed the bones of the TJ while working for Craig Winn were the same engineers that designed the CJ's.
DMillet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMillet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2014 at 5:34pm
I'm bigger, softer and a lot easier to get along with but I still have my grandfather's DNA.  So yea, same lineage.
7slotguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7slotguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2014 at 3:13pm
Yes, but using that general logic the Ford Focus is a direct descendant of the Model "A". As well it would make the Liberty also a direct descendant of the Jeep MA. Come on guys, think this through.
 So that begs the question then, what other brand name has created a totally different vehicle (96% different parts), changed it's 45 year old model name and model designation series, publicly claimed it was ending the model, but yet considered it a continuation of said model?

Is it a certain characteristic that makes you feel this way? Obviously it's not the flat dash, centered speedo, round headlights or simplicity, but what is it that the other vehicles out there don't have?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>