Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A little project update on Chug A Lug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 140>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2017 at 7:06am
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

Well we are cooking with gas now the Loan check just arrived time to try to melt my debt card and give the shipping guys a hernia.

LOL Clap  Congratulations to you can condolences to the shipping and delivery guys!
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2017 at 4:39am
SO the little packages have started showing up. Tonight I sent off a order the Speedway almost $550.00 includes the fancy Wiper system I am going to be using. And about the same size order to Summit Racing this one includes one of the US Wheel Series 68 6 x 15" wheels I am hoping to be able to use. As well and a bunch of misc engine plumbing pieces the Dynomax muffler and My cooling fan and controller.

An interesting thing I ordered 10 Black Plastic Knobs to make all of my electrical switches and Push Pull Cables match I ordered them from MSC because they had knobs that look very very much like original Willys Knobs and the total for 10) knobs was $10.50 and the Shipping was a BUCK MORE!

Gee's I guess the knobs are more like $2.10 each LOL

I got the Left Wheel House underside all sanded out and the first coat of Permatex Rust converter on the metal. Another couple coats tomorrow and the Bottom of the Tub is ready for Epoxy Primer Sealer.

Be glad to move on to something else.

Work is going to seriously screw with my shop time from now on. If it haddn't been going to pour down rain we would have worked this morning. NOW it wouldn't be so bad if I was working a full week but they been running short days or like this week only 3 days. I hate SPRING when it comes to work.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2017 at 12:22pm
YAHOO I knew a little procrastination would pay off. Got an email today that Autobody Tool Mart has free shipping through Friday. And here I have about 5 gallons of paint products I need to get. This will save a few bucks. I ordered another metal shelf unit to store all the new parts heading my way from Home depot. I sure hope it shows up before all the parts do I hate tripping over boxes. Its about time for a day of cleaning in the shop again. Once I start working on top of things on the work bench to find a couple square ft to do something I know its time to put all the little tools back in their drawers.

Hey putting the metal shelf together will give me a chance to try out the MAC air ratchet I picked up at a Garage sale a couple weeks back. That should be fun.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2017 at 4:36am
Well 4 more boxes of parts showed up today and only one of them doesn't fit (a heater hose nipple I got the wrong size) The shiny Aluminum Champion Radiator showed up as did the fancy Windshield wiper system (way higher quality parts then I thought I might be getting)

So now the shelf I bought to store all this nest stuff is still in the box and the neat stuff is piled up all over the chassis and available shelves. Waiting for me to get a day off so I can get some things organized.

I got to get in gear and order my paint before the free shipping disappears.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
TXtea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TXtea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2017 at 3:46pm
Wow!  This is a heck of a build.  I now have something else to dream about.  Haha!  I can't wait to see it all assembled and ready to wheel.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2017 at 7:17pm
Me too! Ordered $660 in paint last night thst was not so much fun..
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2017 at 11:30pm
WOW lets call this a product review in the middle of my Build Thread. I bought a $29.00 metal shelf unit from Home depot 60" tall 30" wide and 12" deep. Came with like 8 shelves and about 500 screws and nuts.

After assembling this thing that every shelf had something bent up on them and very little actually lined up all I can say is that if this was used for the advertised use (to store canning jars on) this thing would be a wadded up heap on the floor.

After screwing it to the wall of the shop and the end of another shelf I have enough confidence in it to put some small parts on and maybe something like my starter on the bottom shelf.

I know I know what did I expect for $29 bucks. but I have bought tin foil on a roll made from heavier gauge metal then this POS. Glad all I am counting on it for is to store a few parts so they can stay organized while I start assembly of the Jeep
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2017 at 4:58am
So I had some Epoxy putty to add to today to get a couple things flat and ready for the actual Body filler.

I also designed and got about half way through building my Spin on Oil Filter mount. It will be set horizontal below the alternator and slightly down and ahead of the starter.

Here is one of two examples I have seen photos of both owned by Chris McKay the used parts guy.

Mine will be all aluminum of course. Using the Spin on adapter from Walcks (a stock 134F part) I ran it through the lathe and made the gasket surface perfectly flat and square. I had to rethread the hose fitting in the center to fit 1/8 NPT luckily it worked out well I guess I'll find out someday if its going to leak. This makes for some really short Oil lines as one just goes to the Timing cover fitting less then 12" away and the other can wrap over the Block just behind the Engine plate down to the Gallery fitting by where the Fuel Pump would mount if I was using a Mechanical pump. This will keep both hoses pretty much out of sight and trouble while still having the same access.

I'll post photos soon as I get it done.

I did a little work on the Alternator mount and the Alternator itself. I painted the fan Glossy Black then added a Chrome Fan Disk (helps the fan draw air through the body of the Alternator. I then added the dandy Aluminum 2.88" Pulley (designed for a Ford flat head Hot Rod) So I can run a Gates Truck and Industrial Green Line Belt. LOOKS killer. Was a PITA tightening the Alternator Pulley nut since its recessed into the Pulley and the only way to hold the shaft is with an Allen Wrench in the end of the shaft so I took a 15/16" 6pt socket and a large pair of channel locks I have and made due. A socket with a Hex on the end would be ideal and I might try to scare one up.

I am waiting to get a few more nuts and bolts on the want list before I put in an order with Mc Master Carr for the Stainless Button Heads to get everything looking the way I want it.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2017 at 3:04am
Well, We have the Paint Lots and Lots of Paint.

Since I will be building a matching off road travel trailer to go with Chug I bought a bunch of paint all at once to get the same lot number.

So I have

2) Gallons of White Epoxy Primer/Sealer (actually 4 gallons of sprayable material as its a 1-1 mix

1) Gallon of high build Urethane Primer

2) Gallons of Pacific Blue

1) Gallon of Jet Black (I should only need about a Quart for the Floor)

I will buy the White for the Hard top and the top of the Travel Trailer when the top is finished I still can't decide how creamy I want the White.

I been wrestling with the idea I need to do a trial fit of the tub on the frame and get all my body mount holes drilled before I proceed with the Body Filler and Primers. So i might be shifting gears back to working on the chassis for a while since I either have to find a way to take the Tub out in the driveway and spin it around or suspend it from the ceiling rafters and roll the chassis under it out to the driveway to spin it around.

And it looks like I'll be lucky to have two days and maybe an evening or two a week to work on the project now. Work is already kicked into high gear 48 Hours last week and easily the same or more this week.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2017 at 7:58pm
Well today I decided to switch gears and get back to assembling my front axle. I left off at the point I needed to install the shafts and bolt up the spindles and backing plates. I am using John Deere Corn head grease for the Knuckles so I squeezed a tube of it into a large zip lock baggie and clipped a corner. All went pretty well for the Right side. All done I move to the left side and everything is going well until I go to torque down the Backing Plate / Spindle Bolts when two of them spin at about 30 ft lbs.

DANG IT

So I tear it down and luckily I happen to have a 3/8"-24T Heli Coil set already (can't remember what I had to get it for now) Anyway drilling from the back side because of the angle of the Knuckle. I make a little block with a 7/16" hole to hold on the Knuckle from the outside and run the tap through while I tap the hole (making sure its nice and square) So that goes OK. Then for some reason my brain stops working and I keep trying to use the special install tool backwards (this kit has a pilot tube that the insert prethreads through before entering the actual threaded hole in the Knuckle) Anyway I end up FUBARing 4 inserts before I come to my senses and get it right.

As the spec's call for 25-35 ftlbs on these bolts I only went to 30 ftlbs instead of the 35 I was trying for before.

SO now its clean up all the grease mess and get on to the next part installing the Locking Hubs.

I am working towards getting the Chassis rolling so I can wheel it out in the driveway spin it around and then trail fit the Tub on to it so I can get my body mounting holes drilled and figure out what I am going to do about the frame cross member that interferes with one of the Rear Floor ribs. This should take up a week or two.

Which is OK since I want to wait for roughly 70 degree weather before I lay on any primer. 
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2017 at 5:50am
OK all in all not an unproductive day.

I managed to get both ends of my Front axle assembled including the Locking hubs Warn WL-2's

I went down and picked up the guts for the Front 11" brakes everything is new I wanted to start out new on the brake system.

I still have to get the front brake hydraulic hoses I was looking at some nice Braided Stainless Steel but they are pretty spendy so I think for now I will pickup a pair from NAPA.  I also need to figure out where on the frame to put a pair of Brake Hose supports since I am doing away with any hard lines on the axle itself. The NAPA Hoses are 18" long hopefully that will handle any articulation my Stock CJ5 suspension with about 3/4" shackle lift.

Tomorrow I am going to get started on the Front U-Bolt Plates I designed. Hopefully if I get enough done on them I will be able to hang the Front Axle next weekend. Then I will assemble the brakes and the Cross Over Tie Rod assembly. And I'll have a basic rolling chassis..

Edited by Mark W. - 02 Apr. 2017 at 6:26am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2017 at 5:10am
So not as much done today (Sunday) as I hoped. I got one of the fancy U-bolt plate assemblies ready for paint. And the other one about 1/2 completed. The front set is interesting as 3 sides of the assemblies are the same with the 4th side having to be much different due to the much wider spacing on the right inside U-Bolt because of it going over the Diff Center rather then the axle tube.

I'm not working as late as I have been and will be almost 1/2 hr closer to home tomorrow so hoping to get the rest of the machine and finish work done on the Left side Plate assembly tomorrow before dinner. That way I can get them Sand Blasted and ready for paint maybe Tuesday.

I have some help lined up for next Saturday to move the assembled front axle off the bench and under the front of the Frame. If the Paint is done on the U-Bolt Plate assemblies then I can actually assemble the whole front suspension as everything else is ready.

I could have a roller soon.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2017 at 8:15am
OK so I still have a bottom support bracket to make but I have a photo of my Spin on oil filter set up.

See page 36 or 37 for photo

I went with a vertical mount for two reasons 1. it will not drain back as it now sits lower then the spray nozzle in the timing cover. This allows the Filters Oil volume to be added to the volume of the Oil pan. Using the nearly 7" long filter it should hold close to a quart of oil. So as they say with Handguns 5+1 for a total of 6 quarts in the system.  2. The filter can be removed without any real loss of oil (there will be a little from the hoses) and it can also be filled up prior to being screwed on at oil changes so there is no lag in the oil spray on the timing gears while the filter would fill.

If it were horizontally mounted that would not be possible.

I will be making a small support bracket that will be held in place by two of the pan bolts and then have a L shaped section that allows me to wrap a worm drive hose clamp around the support and the filter. This will make sure there is no flex in the mounting to allow the filter to move around and cause damage when operating in rough country off road etc.

Edited by Mark W. - 28 Nov. 2017 at 12:27am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2017 at 8:19am
I have also been working on some info pages for the overall project. The first one I have done is for the Suspension Upgrades Chug will have compared to a stock CJ-2A

Suspension Upgrades:

First of all the suspension is now CJ-5 so longer springs front and rear and an 81" Wheel base which should give a better ride.

New Stock Early CJ-5 Springs all around

Custom Solid Steel Shackle mounts with Bronze geaseable pivots. Bolted and Welded to the frame which is a CJ-5 frame that has been Boxed on both ends with 1/4" plate. much more rigid then stock.

DIY HD 3/4" lift Ladder Bar style Shackles made from 1/4" plate with Grade 8 Geaseable Pivot Bolts Bolted and Welded together 9/16" Pivot on top 7/16" on bottom

Polyurethane Spring Eye Bushings with Steel inserts

DIY High Clearance U-Bolt plates that move the nuts up to beside the springs Which now sit in a saddle like assembly so there is only 7/16" hanging below the springs. Including HD Shock Mounts with threaded Lock nuts to retain the Shock eyes (CJ-2A plates are 3/36" thick steel with the shock mount welded along one edge. They allow almost an inch of U-Bolt and Nut to extend down below the plate.)

NAPA Gas Shocks

Upper shock mounts in the rear have been cored and threaded to accept a 7/16" grade 8 bolt to hold the shock to the mount. (CJ-2A have a Washer and Cotter Pin set up)

The only unmodified stock suspension parts are the Front Shock Mounts on the frame and the Spring Hangers and those were welded up redrilled to remove any sign of wear.

Since I am going to car show Chug for a summer I thought it would be interesting to list everything I did to the Jeep to get it where it will be when finished.

I'll post each section here as I get it done.

Edited by Mark W. - 23 Apr. 2017 at 5:21am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2017 at 8:38am
I am also working on my Header design. With the help of some old school hot rod guys on the H.A.M.B. Forum I am designing a Tri Y style header that will join cyl 1 and 4 at the end of the primary's in a Y joint and then 2 and 3 in another Y this will be 1.375" ID tubing to match the exhaust ports. Then the Pipes will continue down to a Third Y joint acting as a collector. I'll have some sort of connection flange at this point. With some luck I should be able to get all four primary tubes the same length. And of course the secondary tubes would also be the same length.

The Tri Y style header improves mid range torque and HP rather the being suited to high rpm use like the 4 into 1 design the Clifford 134 L and F header is designed for.

I still have Primary and Secondary length to decide on and then of course the actual routing of the Tubes to clear the Oil pump and fit between the Block and the Frame. It will be setup to run just below the Master Cylinder Heat shield (see my Master Cylinder mount earlier in the thread) I am hoping to run a 2.25" D straight pipe back to a 90 degree mandrel bent elbow and into the Dynomax Turbo muffler I have then exiting via a second elbow and a short tail pipe to come out right about the stock location under the rear cross member.

I'm going to cut 1.5" thick Blue foam in the shapes of the various Header tubing bends I can buy and cut those holding them together with Tooth Picks and tape to create a pattern to cut the steel.

Should make for some interesting photos
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2017 at 6:47pm
SO quick post. Lesson learned. When going from Spray painting to sand blasting it works much better when you remember to dial up the pressure on the sand blaster from 40 PSI to 120PSI with a 90 PSI kick on.

Couldn't figure out why the paint on the steering column support bracket was so damn tough. Took for ever to get it clean LOL.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2017 at 12:26am
So time for another search. Somewhere in all this crap is the bottom half of the Steering Column Mounting bracket. I have no Idea where but hopefully I will find it before I end up buying one from someone and then finding it.

Mid day report: I finally got the Front U-Bolt Plate Assemblies Painted along with a few other pieces. I been cleaning up in the Carport part of the shop as I have to be able to open the doors on the front of the Shop section to get the rolling chassis out to the driveway where I can turn it around.

of course now theres roughly 2 cu yds of nasty Soil mix I need to move into the front yard in the way of getting anything out the front of the carport.

I would at this point in time give a nice sum of money to have a empty two stall side by side shop. Instead of a two stall one in front of the other with doors in between shop full of crap.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2017 at 4:34am
Today turned out fairly productive. I got the Front U-Bolt plates completely finished (I had to recut 16 bolts when it turned out I cut all of them about 1/8" to short DUH) I managed to get my super heavy engine hoist broke down and stored out of the way for now.

I got the Left Front Spring hung on the Spring Hanger and both Front Shackles attached to the Shackle mounts. I found out one of my Front springs has some rust starting on the edges between the layers so I broke it down and wire brushed that area up. Its currently soaking in Rust converter I'll slap some black paint on the areas tomorrow after work. I had to install the Polyurethane Spring eye bushings and steel inner bushings on the other spring.

Hopefully my son will be down tomorrow and he can help me move the Front Axle to the front of the frame and get it up on Jack stands so I can swing the springs up and mate them up with the bottom of the shackles. Then on to assembling the U-Bolt plates and getting the front axle bolted up.

I did a bunch of clean up in the shop (hardly a dent in the mess) and managed to haul a bunch of trash out to the cans. Some times I think my shop trash cans are to big!

Oh and I got just enough yard work done to keep the wife happy.

So once the front axle is bolted up I can start on the Steering stuff or get all four Brakes assembled and then find out if my 45 year old 8.45 x 15 snow and mud grip tires and tubes will hold Air and make the Chassis a roller.

Yard work is about to become a real thing (we are putting in a new front yard) As there is as I mentioned earlier about 2 cu yds of Soil mix right in front of the Carport Jeep Shop Doors. It will have to be some other place before I can roll the chassis out and turn it around.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 140>